RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

121 - 129 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
In the spirit of telling the TRUTH... My above calculations on this were all based off of the EVIC calculated mileage..... which as I have said many times and will continue to, IS NOT ACCURATE! I filled up and the EVIC said 26.2 mpg. Hand calculated said 22.8 over the whole tank with 460 miles on it.
Of all the vehicles I've ever had, interestingly enough, the EVIC on this truck for me has been the most accurate. I don't bother with splitting hairs about what part of a tank I was getting what mileage at. I calculate from full to the next time I fill up, regardless of what type of driving in between. With that, I'd say that most of the time, the discrepancy between the hand calculation from Fuelly to the EVIC has been within a couple tenths. From time to time it has been 1-2mpg off, but those times are the exception to the regular readings.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Of all the vehicles I've ever had, interestingly enough, the EVIC on this truck for me has been the most accurate. I don't bother with splitting hairs about what part of a tank I was getting what mileage at. I calculate from full to the next time I fill up, regardless of what type of driving in between. With that, I'd say that most of the time, the discrepancy between the hand calculation from Fuelly to the EVIC has been within a couple tenths. From time to time it has been 1-2mpg off, but those times are the exception to the regular readings.
That was typically my experience - IF I loaded my 24’ Enclosed on it mid-tank, it would be way off. But typically, it was less than 1 mpg, and it tended to read a tick low. Mine was a 2015, and I had it until Dec 31, 2018.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Like said above is if do the same thing over a whole tank it is somewhat close, but for me the computer is almost always 1 mpg higher than hand calc.

Like he said though if you start mixing the tank between towing and empty, the EVIC will favor whatever you did at the end of the tank. I typically do not calculate WAG numbers off of partial tanks... it just takes me a while to burn a whole tank on this fuel miser.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I hand calculate almost every time after 650 miles and have never seen a difference more then 0.5 Gallon between hand calculating and Evic

·
Registered
429 Posts
The truck does tremendously well at 55 to 70 MPH like 24-28 MPG, but at very high speeds 75+ the mileage will drop down to maybe 22 mpg. No tuning, 3.92 ratio ... Michelin® LTX® A/T2 P275/60R20 tires *under 5,000 miles on the tires.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've had my truck for a bit over a year now. I've logged over 60k miles, all logged on fuelly. I can't figure out the signature link, but I've screenshotted it. I bought this truck hearing crazy stories about 30mpg on the highway and 25 in town. I drive about 75/25 highway city. Most of my time is spent around 70mph on the highway. Truck was stock until a couple weeks ago when I installed a GDE tuned ECM and deleted the EGR and straight piped it. Since the delete, I have only filled up a couple times and see about 2mpg difference.

The only time I even touched 28 I was doing 55mph along a flat stretch of highway in west TX. Otherwise, I'm just not getting anywhere near what I thought, and why I bought this truck. What am I doing wrong? Or is everyone just telling old fishing tales about their mileage?
View attachment 85613
I have 34k miles on my '17. Surprised at the mpg's many are reporting. I have the 3.55 and the GDE tune, Long Horn, 4wd, 4 door. I live fairly rural and get 28 mpg consistently. On highway at ~70 mph I routinely can get 30 mpg--as low as 26 in a very strong headwind. Where I live in ME is fairly flat. Towing my 6000# travel trailer I fange between 10.4 (strong wind) to 12.5 to 14.5 with a strong tailwind. Didn't see much of an effect from winter although this winter only had a couple of days zero F or less, mostly was 25ish F. Probably the worst I have ever gotten would be ~24 mpg during normal driving--this is all hand calculated (dash reads about .5-1 mpg higher).Overall love the truck!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Hi: All... At the moment I'm getting almost 4 weeks to the gal. It's all due to Covid-19.
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

121 - 129 of 129 Posts