RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To the group ;
I did a test drive of the jeep at 130 pm today, Cranberry Township Pa. Ron Lewis/ formerly Cranberry Chrysler Jeep.

Understanding this is a Jeep Cherokee and the Ram may ride and perform different.
Objective:
To test motor and transmission, verify if I would like the power train enough to put out cash to buy one new.

Test Drive:
20 to 25 minutes on 4 lane state highway speeds to 70, also back road hilly and twisty 6 mile section.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Tranny did not hunt for gear on deceleration then sudden acceleration. The tranny hunted or delayed shifting only on acceleration to the top of a hill then trans would take a second to up shift. This may be attributed to new transmission, not broken in. In all other use the shifting was very smooth.
The motor performed fantastic the motor revs if it is driven hard. At 1800-1900 the motor lopes along working easy.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The turbo seems to kick in hard about 2250 rpm, at 1/4 pedal the motor will run up to 3000 rpm and shift smoothly, the acceleration to 70 is seamless and smooth.

The motor is smaller than the Duramax and Cummins 5.9 that I had, my concern with the 3.0 was.would how would it run and how would it perform understanding a 3.0 is not a 6.6 duramax or a modified 5.9 Cummins.

I was impressed with the package. Te transmission has as much to do with it as the motor. Together the sum is greater than the parts and the motor and transmission work very well together.
I will strongly consider a new Ram as a result of this test drive. Hope this helps. Marsman. Mars Pa

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Test drive was on a 4 lane state road speeds up to 70 and 6 miles of a twisty hilly 2 lane road

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I didn't get as far as you. The dealership was busy, but I did get to start it. Sounded a bit quieter than me 2.8l.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I also got to drive a GC with the 3.0 a couple days ago. It WAS quiet as compared to my 1999 2500 5.9 Cummins. It was only a few miles but I thought it was kinda gutless. I'm sure the torque is where it shines. I really didn't get to see that. I am still debating between the 3.0 and the Hemi.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I also got to drive a GC with the 3.0 a couple days ago. It WAS quiet as compared to my 1999 2500 5.9 Cummins. It was only a few miles but I thought it was kinda gutless. I'm sure the torque is where it shines. I really didn't get to see that. I am still debating between the 3.0 and the Hemi.
Now that I have the pentastar I agree with the feel of lack of power. I drove the ram and feel the same. My 3.6 pulls like a bear in comparison but the 0-60 times show that. Longevity would be my only reason to buy an ecodiesel because I don't pull a lot. But honestly I only keep vehicles about 5 years so no point. To each their own but I am loving my pentastar. If I drove less miles I would get the hemi.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
B Shan and Fireboy good points by both. Straight out acceleration on ecodiesel is not great. But it is ok, and longevity on the diesel does not mean as much if you keep a vehicle 5-6 years. Resale on diesel may be a little better. I keep tossing around the idea of a used 2010-2012 duramax. But the reality is I do not need a 3/4 ton truck.
Should I give the 5.7 hemi a test drive ?

·
Registered
89 Posts
B Shan and Fireboy good points by both. Straight out acceleration on ecodiesel is not great. But it is ok, and longevity on the diesel does not mean as much if you keep a vehicle 5-6 years. Resale on diesel may be a little better. I keep tossing around the idea of a used 2010-2012 duramax. But the reality is I do not need a 3/4 ton truck.
Should I give the 5.7 hemi a test drive ?
You will like the hemi. I drive one the same day as ecodiesel. It sucks you back in the seat when you hammer the throttle. Lol. If you like that much power.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
You guys have to remember, this is a 3.0L. And, I bet the JGC has something like 3.21 gears?? I doubt that it has 3.55.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am also on a jeep GC forum and there is some info to think about. If u average the posts they r getting about 24mpg so far and the ram will be a heavier vehicle. They r also having a lot of issues with the DEF system. Gauges reading incorrect. Alerts from computer about DEF levels and regen that are incorrect. Also a big problem with DEF injector. It is made of plastic and is not functioning well in cold weather. Computer then gives an alert that it is not working. One guy had the injector crack and the computer gave him 200 miles until engine would shut off and not restart. He now has to wait a month for the part and vehicle is sitting in dealer garage. It's too bad the emission rules r so tight on diesels. They have to figure out how to get rid of the def systems. I did a lot of research on these systems and they are all a headache. I guess that is what the warranty is for.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Good to know. I'll listen to the Ram live message tomorrow to see if they have any good news to keep my from jumping ship and into a Hemi...Maybe I'll buy a 3.0 in a couple years.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Good to know. I'll listen to the Ram live message tomorrow to see if they have any good news to keep my from jumping ship and into a Hemi...Maybe I'll buy a 3.0 in a couple years.
I am thinking the same thing. I will have my 2014 for 4-5 years then look at diesel. Just to many bugs to work out. I have bought 2 first year vehicles and both were junk. At the dealer every couple weeks. I will not be a test pilot again. I would like to see where fuel prices r going too. Today gas was 1.29 a litre and diesel was 1.38 a litre. I can't think of 1 person on the jeep forum that has not been back to the dealer with their eco cherokee. And they have only had them a month. Will be interesting to here what is said tomorrow. I would like to ask why someone would buy a 2014 eco in March ( or later waiting for delivery) when They could wait 3 more months and get a 2015 eco. It seems pointless to bring them out mid year. Maybe focus on cherokee issues and get all the bugs worked out before ram release. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Something to be said for first year buys. My brother bought a first year Ford 6.0 F 250. It was nothing but problems. One after another. One bit of optimism for the 3.0 was the motor has been used in Europe for 3 years. Tthe 8 speed and motor together are new but the motor has been running around for about half a vehicle production run of 5-6 years.
It's one of those choices if you buy and there are problems to be discovered, it is a regret. If you wait. That's generally not a mistake. I will weigh it out and see if I can get a deal probably 6-12 months after the ram diesel is out. Nt sure I will go the hemi route.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The engine is not new but the DEF system is and so far they are not getting along. Lol. All the delays have been for emissions and they still didn't get it right when Cherokees were released. Hope they get it right before ram is released for all waiting it out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have confidence, they will get it squared away ;)

·
Registered
213 Posts
It's not really a new vehicle. The 8 speed transmission, air suspension, shutters, etc were all introduced on the 2013 model. The only thing new is the engine and it has been around for years in Europe, apparently. The DEF system has been available now for a few years, including on Ram HD models, so that should be easily adapted.
Assuming I purchase one, this will be my first Ram pickup ever, but I wish they would hurry up and make it available.
I can see why Motor Trend named it Truck of the year instead of the new GM's. I have driven GM's for years including my current GM Denali pickup, but other than new skin, there is nothing new. Same power train, and nothing innovative.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A beer to the first guy who buys a ram 1500 diesel. Take one for the team. Then report back !!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Lol. I guess it will not be me. Loving my pentastar. Second tank of fuel I got 1055kms. 100 litre tank. Very happy with engine and tranny package.

·
Registered
575 Posts
A beer to the first guy who buys a ram 1500 diesel. Take one for the team. Then report back !!
I would happily be that guy. Do you know how to make it happen?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts