RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guys at TFL recently posted a video of their towing test of the Silverado Diesel. Basically, the same towing conditions (colder ambient temperature) they used for their towing test of the ED.

What was interesting is that they had to apply brakes a total of 8 times in the Silverado on their downhill portion. And that was with the Tow Mode engaged and with the Exhaust Brake engaged.

When they tested the ED, they only had to apply brakes a total of 4 times on their exact same downhill portion with the same basic test conditions.

Despite that, they gave the Silverado an overall higher score than the ED.

Both the Silverado and the ED they tested were 2WD trucks.

Cheers,

Bryan

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yep, I watched that video as well. The only reason I would have considered the Chevy was the exhaust brake, and it, apparently, was not very effective. Plus, as you pointed out, the Ram performed much better on the downhill section. Granted it’s a personal tastes thing, but I much prefer the look of the Ram to the Chevy. And I think the ZF transmission in the Ram will prove to have a better reputation than the 10 speed in the Chevy as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm a GM kinda guy. I've been waiting for the "official" TFL truck tow off for a while now. Having checked out the engineering behind the new I-6 I was impressed with how thorough GM engineers were in building this thing. By installing the DPF and DEF right on the Turbo, Regens will be minimal due to the continuous high temps coming off the engine. They also incorporated clean air EGR post DPF to minimize soot build up in the intake, something Ram finally upgraded on the new 2020.
The big take away from the towing test was the overall fuel mileage and time...The truck has a lot of grunt power to pull a 7000lb trailer up a 7% grade @ 60 mph with a fuel mileage of 5.8 mpg. Now that's impressive. I would really like to see what the mileage is for flat land/low hills towing. My guess is somewhere around 17-18mpg. That's a great improvement over the 13.5 - 15 mpg I'm currently getting with my 5000lb toyhauler. That's about 40 more miles on 10 gal of fuel.
BTW...that only reason I own the Ecodiesel is because Ram was the only player in town with a 1500 diesel. As soon as the used GM's become available; good-by FCA!

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I have been very pleased with my RAM. That said the down hill braking doesn't matter much to me. They test them all letting the truck do its own thing, if I was in that position id probably be using the manual shift controls to make it do what I wanted. The fords and GM with the 10 speed have all seemed to not down shift well for grade braking on their own.

I think GM did a better job with the emissions, I favor the inline design, and the reported zero lag and better/faster bottom end power. All in all GM had several years to work on it longer than Ram since the ecodiesel came to the market 4-5 years sooner, but had the 2020 RAM and The First year GM 3.0 been available at the time I was shopping i'd be in a GM right now.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I'm a GM kinda guy. I've been waiting for the "official" TFL truck tow off for a while now. Having checked out the engineering behind the new I-6 I was impressed with how thorough GM engineers were in building this thing. By installing the DPF and DEF right on the Turbo, Regens will be minimal due to the continuous high temps coming off the engine. They also incorporated clean air EGR post DPF to minimize soot build up in the intake, something Ram finally upgraded on the new 2020.
The big take away from the towing test was the overall fuel mileage and time...The truck has a lot of grunt power to pull a 7000lb trailer up a 7% grade @ 60 mph with a fuel mileage of 5.8 mpg. Now that's impressive. I would really like to see what the mileage is for flat land/low hills towing. My guess is somewhere around 17-18mpg. That's a great improvement over the 13.5 - 15 mpg I'm currently getting with my 5000lb toyhauler. That's about 40 more miles on 10 gal of fuel.
BTW...that only reason I own the Ecodiesel is because Ram was the only player in town with a 1500 diesel. As soon as the used GM's become available; good-by FCA!
If you think your going to jump from 13.5-15 towing 5000 with the ecodiesel to 17-18 towing 7000 with the GM, I think your being optimistic and will be disappointed. There are some mileage reviews out there with the GM towing a 7000 ish lb TT and its not even close to the 17-18 range.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
With better tow haul programming it's exhaust brake will be much better. Or should be much better.
I'm never a fan of being the first on the block with any manufacturer's new engine or transmission. That's why the CTD/Aisin is such a good combination.
So stay away from this for now, let others continue the vehicle development that GM missed.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Unless they are like ram and keep building the same problems design for 5 years lol

·
Super Moderator
3,087 Posts

70 mph GM unloaded 33.9, towing 7k horse trailer with hay rack 11.9 60k warranty
70 mph Ram unloaded 33.0, towing 7k horse trailer with hay rack 11.0 100k warranty, cost a couple grand less.
Winner the consumer
Ford MIA and would likely be in third place here anyway but still a winner for the Ford guy who racks up miles and tows only low and moderate weight/drag.
Sheesh slow down to 65 mph where Mfgrs design for towing. Towing economy jumps. Also 10 speed GM with 3.23 might be optimal (only?) gear. 8 speed Ram will likely tow more efficiently with 3.92 gear instead of the 3.21. Though they likely would not have done as well unloaded.

I hope GM's aluminum block holds up if it ever gets overheated or someone turns the boost up. Wish GM would have upgraded to a CGI iron block like VM Motori and now Cummins did.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The guys at TFL recently posted a video of their towing test of the Silverado Diesel. Basically, the same towing conditions (colder ambient temperature) they used for their towing test of the ED.

What was interesting is that they had to apply brakes a total of 8 times in the Silverado on their downhill portion. And that was with the Tow Mode engaged and with the Exhaust Brake engaged.

When they tested the ED, they only had to apply brakes a total of 4 times on their exact same downhill portion with the same basic test conditions.

Despite that, they gave the Silverado an overall higher score than the ED.

Both the Silverado and the ED they tested were 2WD trucks.

Cheers,

Bryan
I have the GDE trans and engine tune and when towing I hardly ever have to brake when it's in tow mode.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Regardless, both are impressive. I've gotten as high as 35 mpg driving my tuned Ecodiesel at 65 mph or less empty. I like the idea of an inline 6 motor, but imho, the Ram is more truck than the GM, and I've driven a new F 150 PS diesel, was not impressed with power or mpg... Still diesel makes sense to me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts