RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Thank you GDE!

9K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  Perrysburg Dodgeboy 
#1 ·
Installed GDE tune back in April around the 8th. Just got my first regen message 1,045-miles later. Can't beat GDE!!! :cool:

#7 ·
I have 54000 miles on my 2014 and only had 3 active Regens in 4 years.

The first two years were 100 mile daily commutes and the last 2 years has been city driving and idles for service calls. Haven't had an active Regen in over a year. Knock on vinyl since I have no leather or wood in my truck.

#21 ·
Factory tune = active regens every 75-150 miles on average. GDE tune = active regens every 750-1000 miles on average.
My 2015, currently stock. Truck with mostly city driving is doing a regen cycle from 109-154 miles, and I always get the truck up to operating temps before I shut down. No message, of course because stock does not display anything. But I have a BlueDriver OBD2 set up to tell me when I have Active/Passive regens and also a PID set up to tell me the average miles between each regen, just FWIW... T-Bird :cool:

#23 ·
Oh so many here still do not understand the regeneration issue. For a stock engine control module there is rarely a regeneration notification. Your truck just does it without telling you. Now if you screw up and really plug up the DPF system, then and only then does the stock truck give you the message that you are really plugged and it's going to do a regeneration. That is supposed to inform you that now you must drive it above 1500 rpm for a good 10 minutes to allow the DPF to be cleaned with a regeneration. If you do not and persist in the short runs and low rpm's you will end up with a plugged DPF and a shut-down of the engine. You don't like that, get a gas engine or do a full delete. Modern diesel is not for you.

Now all owners should have some kind of gauge that they buy to read exhaust sensor temperatures around the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). When those temperatures get way above 1,000 degrees, you have a regeneration going on. Keep driving to let it finish. Without a gauge you are literally running "blind".

Now you can get a GDE control module. It's NOT for power. So many are so stupid to think it's for power. It's for dealing with the DEF sensors and that system, the EGR sooting system, the operation of the engine to reduce regenerations, run cleaner, change cruise increased fuel mileage and more. The power issue is a very minor part of the package as increasing power decreases reliability. GDE is about clean, trouble-free running and reliability. Man I literally scream to read how so many know so little.

Now with the GDE option you can add on a regeneration message to tell you, without an after-market gauge, that one is going on. You can also add on transmission shifting options and more. Still, the basic GDE with a simple OBDII port monitor gauge, is a major help in owner operation and longevity. Do that or suffer the issues of running a stock system.

#26 ·
CAT 1, PID: 01 3C
EGT BANK 1: PID 0178

Diesel Aftermarket Status: PID 018B
Normalized Trigger DPF: 01 8B
Average Distance Between DPF Regen; PID 018B

Also monitor Command Boost: PID 0170

Now remember, these are all for Blue Driver OBD II Sensor:

​I believe that each obd is driver/sensor specific on a lot of these.

ADDED: Does not alert U per se, if these is some type of flashing or sound, I do not know and honestly not care.
You just have to have on and look. When you see the Cat and EGT up over 1,000 deg, good chance running a regen. I then can look at line info and it will tell me if an Active Regen is working. Also, when I see DPF % up over 60%, since stock, I know that a regen is gonna happen pretty soon.

All above, IMHO.....T-Bird

Added: A lot of people run Torque Pro Ap and Scan Gauge. They display a heck of a lot, but I personally do not need all that, and since I am using an IPhone 5, I am limited on what can be displayed.

NOTE to Admin: Cannot get "BOLD" to work correctly, LOL

#30 ·
So I just did a 3,200 mile trip towing my trailer with a CAT scale axle weight of 5,160 lbs and a GCVW of 12,640 lbs through 100 degree plus temps in AZ and 6,000 foot plus elevations through UT. I have the regeneration message option on my GDE ECM and had the active regen message 3 times while on the trip plus 1 time the day after getting home so actually a total of 4 times in roughly 3,200 miles. I would think towing that weight through those temps and elevations I would have had "passive" regenerations not active. I seem to average 700 to 800 miles between regenerations whether I'm towing or not. Do passive regenerations really happen?

#33 ·
A lot of confusion on regens. Let me add to the confusion.:rolleyes:
If you have an engine monitor you can see when your engine regens. The Soot Mass gets to 80%(don't know the units for sure) and soot burn off starts and takes it down to 8%. While this is underway the DPF Temp doubles from normal 500-600 degrees F to 1000-1200 degrees F and stays elevated until done. With GDE tune it happens every 600 to 800 miles but I don't track the interval exactly. I don't believe there is a passive regen. I've never had the DPF Temp go above 600 except during regen. It takes the 1000+ degree F temps to burn the soot and it just doesn't get that high without the extra fuel.
If you don't have an engine monitor then you don't know when you are getting the routine regens unless you have the GDE tune with the optional regen notification screens. I have both.

Reactions: Aslag
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.