RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Talk to capt. I'm pretty sure he's got one installed....

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
KK3I here...

Right now I only have one radio installed because of an antenna issue. Installed a Profit mount off the driver's - side front fender. Actually had to have the hood re-aligned to get proper clearance on both sides. Installed a dedicated fused hot wire to my own terminal block above the parking brake pedal. The run my power wires to things like radios, gps and radar. Right now I have to switch antennas from 2 meter to 10 m. to 11m depending on which radio I want to use. That will soon change but I have other priorities right now.

Just built a new sonar transducer on one of my boat's sonar machines. Tested today and it's fine. Also caught a ton of nice snapper with the wife.. Now tomorrow or tonight I start on the extra fuel tank issue. Then back to the radio problem.

The problem is two more antenna mounting locations. I already have a grommet filling the hole I drilled in the firewall. Extra antenna feeds will be easy. Profit does not make a mount for the passenger side. Normally I run a dedicated 2 meter antenna in front of the radio antenna. I need to either find one or make something that will work. I know I can make one. Just need to be three people.

Doing a flat track motorcycle race all day this Saturday and that carries over to Sunday. It will be later next week and I will get on that mount and a third for HF/10 M.

Just like my license plate for decades in Pa. and Florida ----KK3I

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Forgot. Take a look on this section for a posting I did with truck picture of the antenna mount. Think it's called "Antenna at the Rifle Range". You can see that one mount and read my call sign.

KK3I

·
Registered
183 Posts
This isn't a CB install, but it is a Ham radio with a remote head. The radio itself is mounted down inside the center console. The only place I had to make any holes was through the firewall, I drilled through the plastic plug that is there figuring it would be cheap and easy to replace, and I cut just a small X through the rubber right beside the remote head to allow the remote head cord to pass through. The remote head and the main unit are both held in with just industrial strength velcro. Sorry for all of the extra wires from my gps and phone charger. The antenna mount is a Profit fender mount I got from the antenna farm. http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/dodge-ram-2009-2014-ram-chassis-cab-2011-2014-4094.html

·
Registered
369 Posts
if you are going to use a CB, why not just get a hand held.......might not get the distance, but no fuss or holes in the truck!!

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Nice job Blaster. Looks fine. For an H F rig I would be concerned with heat dispensation with things covered as it is. Even my 2 meter radios get hot is I engage in a long QSO. You figure out an antenna mount for the passenger side?

I do not have the consul but a straight bench seat. Wanted that both for the radios and my right elbow. Hate bonking and rubbing it on that center consul thing.

My radios sit on those angled brackets right on the floor. Wiring just jammed under the bottom of that dash panel over the hump. Will picture later today but it's bicycle ride exercise time right now.

Oh I feel bad. Ate snapper last night. Did not rub my elbow on the hump either.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Where is sports guy for that last comment, I figured he would be all over that....

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Here's my hump.

Alinco on top and positioned to allow that tray to just clear it from above. Right now I have to switch antenna leads and antenna. That will change if/when I find or make a mount for the passenger side.

Good, sweaty bicycle ride. Even took a picture of my "two-piston" power.

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
My wife catches snapper and giant gags. She's a feisty old gal that sometimes forgets she's a multiple grandmother of 65. I like young women. My elbow will not get hot on the hump. Now I bet you landlubbers have no clue what this is. Hint...This is a brand-new, fresh picture.

Look. Want another hint? It has nothing to do with the Steeler hat.

Give up?

It's called dinner.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Been reading the Owner's Manual found on the Ram Trucks web page. Interesting caution about adding CB and other electronic equipment copied from the manual

The 9-1-1 Call system is embedded into the vehicle’s
electrical system. Do not add aftermarket
electrical equipment to the vehicle’s electrical system.
This may prevent your vehicle from sending a
signal to initiate an emergency call. To avoid interference
that can cause the 9-1-1 Call system to fail,
never add aftermarket equipment (e.g., two-way
mobile radio, CB radio, data recorder, etc.) to your
vehicle’s electrical system or modify the antennas
on your vehicle.

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
No way will my truck call 911. I could use that cell phone I have but the truck has a cell phone??? I traveled all over the world for decades and never had a cell phone. If you can't fight or shoot your way out of a problem then just die. There's lots of replacements.

More than a decade ago I was going to replace a defective Duramax with an updated model guaranteed to not have all the injecter issues. As I sat in the new truck I pressed some kind of button and this OnStar thing started talking to me. Scared the hell out of me.

Looked all around and could not see anyone. Then he said his name was Andy.

I asked Andy where he was. Don't remember the answer but he was not around that truck. He told me he can hear what I say.

Got out of that truck. Went into the dealer office and told him to shove it. No way did I want someone listening to me in my truck. That's when I bought the Dodge Cummins. TRUE story.

If my truck so much as thinks about calling 911 on me I'm having all that electronic stuff gutted out. You can buy peace of mind with a transistor radio. Now where is a pay phone?

Thanks for the information. it may be a factor to others.

·
Registered
346 Posts
This thread is his one get-outta-jail-free card...then the snapper, his wife and the hump are all fair game... ;)
The Capt. did catch a snapper using his wife as bait. At least that's how I first understood it. :)

Reactions: chris12559

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Been reading the Owner's Manual found on the Ram Trucks web page. Interesting caution about adding CB and other electronic equipment copied from the manual

The 9-1-1 Call system is embedded into the vehicle’s
electrical system. Do not add aftermarket
electrical equipment to the vehicle’s electrical system.
This may prevent your vehicle from sending a
signal to initiate an emergency call. To avoid interference
that can cause the 9-1-1 Call system to fail,
never add aftermarket equipment (e.g., two-way
mobile radio, CB radio, data recorder, etc.) to your
vehicle’s electrical system or modify the antennas
on your vehicle.
I can't believe the system is so sensitive to impedance, resistance or voltage that it'd disable an emergency response function. Yeah, the electrics are complex, but I think that's written to CYA at Chrysler. I tend to install gear as a dedicated system, so direct from battery to gear. Means running my own wires v. tapping nearby sources, but it does avoid overloading circuits inadvertently. If the system was that sensitive, then even a low battery would disable it. Like if you were listening to music for a while with the engine off while detailing the truck.

I'm left thinking more and more that info from the manual is a backstop for a defense: we told them not to install <insert item here> so it's not our fault that <insert incident> happened.

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Owned a Pontiac Fiero. Wife was also an amateur radio operator. It was what she drove. Two meter rig upset the electronic ignition. It would darn near stop or stumble the ignition.

I tried lots of choking, direct wiring and antenna changes. The RF just messed up it's operation no matter what I did.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Owned a Pontiac Fiero. Wife was also an amateur radio operator. It was what she drove. Two meter rig upset the electronic ignition. It would darn near stop or stumble the ignition.

I tried lots of choking, direct wiring and antenna changes. The RF just messed up it's operation no matter what I did.
So...the solution was to just tell her to shut up? ;)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
...I'm left thinking more and more that info from the manual is a backstop for a defense: we told them not to install <insert item here> so it's not our fault that <insert incident> happened.
Today's user guides and manuals are so cluttered up with silly warnings that they have lost their original purpose. It is hard to follow instructions when we are interrupted constantly with wordy and repetitive warnings about stupid things. The few legitimate warnings are buried in the noise. Plus the documents are twice as big as they need to be. Crazy.

BTW, do people still use CBs? I had one 20 years ago but it went the way of the rotary dial phone.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts