RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
How many miles do you have on your truck now since you did the DEF delete? Thanks
140,000 miles and 135k since delete. Figure that I've saved a lot and never had an issue with my truck. BTW, my brother had the DEF system fail on his Ford PS diesel at around 50,000 miles. He opted to delete.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
I have never cleaned my injector in 6 years and 270,000kms. However, I am running the hot tune and use distilled in the above freezing months.
The people who short trip their trucks are more likely to have problems with their DEF injectors clogging. If you do longer drive intervals and get up to operating temperature, then it won't be as problematic.

Reactions: Hammer

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Bighorn 4x4
407 Posts
I believe you stated you had a GDE tune. How is the smoke and the smell?
There is no smoke and smell associated with a GDE tune.

Reactions: DATA and Olypopper

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Bighorn 4x4
407 Posts
And your tune is the off-road tune? Thanks
I have the original GDE tune yes but not the "off road" option. EGR is turned off though.

1 x Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Hot Tune
-Ram 1500 Model Year : 2015
-Ram 1500 Engine Tune Purchase : ECM Purchase (keep stock ECM)
-Ram 1500 Axle Ratio : 3.92
-Regen Message : Yes
-Engine Braking : Yes
-High Idle : No
-Off-road Tuning : No
-Oil Pressure Sensing : No
-Shipping Insurance : Yes

Reactions: DATA

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Do you guys have Platinum DEF up north? If so, I would run that. It will reduce the problem with your DEF injector clogging.

Hi: biodiesel... That's the most expensive DEF there is up here. I just wish they all had a "Best before date" that you could recognize. Maybe expired DEF could be used as tomato fertilizer?
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I believe you stated you had a GDE tune. How is the smoke and the smell?
No smoke and no smell. I still have the DPF/CAT in place. Tail pipes still shiny. My brother deleted everything on his Ford, stinks and smokes, but he's happy not to have the problems. My regens are between 625 and 725 miles, btw.

Reactions: DATA

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Hi: biodiesel... That's the most expensive DEF there is up here. I just wish they all had a "Best before date" that you could recognize. Maybe expired DEF could be used as tomato fertilizer?
Platinum is the most expensive here in the U.S., too, but it's well worth it. It has a surfactant added that reduces deposit formation. It is designed for people like me who oftentimes drive at lower temperature operation (lots of in-town driving, short commutes, etc.). The way it was explained to me is that it promotes more effective ammonia release in those low temp conditions which in theory may reduce DEF consumption.

I've also been told that Yara Air1 also has the surfactant added and it's cheaper than Platinum.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Platinum is the most expensive here in the U.S., too, but it's well worth it. It has a surfactant added that reduces deposit formation. It is designed for people like me who oftentimes drive at lower temperature operation (lots of in-town driving, short commutes, etc.). The way it was explained to me is that it promotes more effective ammonia release in those low temp conditions which in theory may reduce DEF consumption.

I've also been told that Yara Air1 also has the surfactant added and it's cheaper than Platinum.

Hi: biodiesel... Being cheap I bought the 9.46L air1 @ $20.81 + tx. CDN. I'm still of the opinion that due to sitting during Co-Vivid there was some form of condensation that "Watered down" the DEF. concentration, but what do I know? When this whole ordeal started I added a second jug thinking it may change the "Chuck engine" MIL. Gauge went from 1/4 tank to 3/4 tank!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
2015 Trademan 4x4, 3.92, 6.4' bed air lift 1000 bags, bilstien shocks, 34" nitto g2s, Unknown tune.
649 Posts
I bought mine with an unlnown tune, no def system or egr system in the truck. straight piped exhaust no muffler or cat. Banks intake. It came from out of state that way. doesnt smoke but it does have a but of a diesel engine smell if your hanging around the truck while its idling. Its the only ecodiesel Ive ever owned and ive got nothing to compare it to but its got a lot of power Ive accidently broke the the 34" tires loose accelerating from a stop light a couple times and I typically drive like an old man.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Thanks for the tips on DEF. Diesel newbie here ( at least to these 'new-fangled' diesels with all the emissions bells and whistles ). I'm up to ~ 900 miles on my '22 Rebel EcoDiesel. Loving the truck so far, but thinking I should probably think about sourcing some DEF soon, not sure how long it'll go before I need any. Mostly doing highway driving on the truck so far. Refilled the diesel tank for the first time recently. I have to run B20, don't think I have much other option in the Peoples Republic of Oregon.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
I have to run B20, don't think I have much other option in the Peoples Republic of Oregon.
There's nothing wrong with B20. I run a minimum of B5 with every fill-up. Your CP4 pump loves biodiesel. It's a better lubricant than what a fuel additive can provide. (y)

Reactions: TSL

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Thanks for the tips on DEF. Diesel newbie here ( at least to these 'new-fangled' diesels with all the emissions bells and whistles ). I'm up to ~ 900 miles on my '22 Rebel EcoDiesel. Loving the truck so far, but thinking I should probably think about sourcing some DEF soon, not sure how long it'll go before I need any. Mostly doing highway driving on the truck so far. Refilled the diesel tank for the first time recently. I have to run B20, don't think I have much other option in the Peoples Republic of Oregon.
Easy on that hippie juice B20 anything above that you're asking for warranty issues.......ah Oregon love the pristine beauty, do they still force you to use a fuel station attendant to refuel like in New Jersey?

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Not all of oregon requires b20 but it is hard to find none biodiesel here. Ive found a good compromise a station that sells b5 and adds treatment to all there fuel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Easy on that hippie juice B20 anything above that you're asking for warranty issues.......ah Oregon love the pristine beauty, do they still force you to use a fuel station attendant to refuel like in New Jersey?
Yep, we can't pump our own fuel, much to dangerous ( ahem! ) It can take forever sometimes to refuel while you wait for the attendant to show up. A great way to get their attention however is to just get out of your vehicle and start the process yourself. My wife did that one time and this bossy attendant rushed over, screamed at her that this was illegal, yanked the nozzle out of her car and put it back on the pump, and then went off to attend to some other customer !!! We complained to the manager at that station and don't go there any more. In some rural counties with lower populations they have now relented and your can pump your own fuel.

·
Registered
2018 RAM 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel
79 Posts
Yep, we can't pump our own fuel, much to dangerous ( ahem! ) It can take forever sometimes to refuel while you wait for the attendant to show up. A great way to get their attention however is to just get out of your vehicle and start the process yourself. My wife did that one time and this bossy attendant rushed over, screamed at her that this was illegal, yanked the nozzle out of her car and put it back on the pump, and then went off to attend to some other customer !!! We complained to the manager at that station and don't go there any more. In some rural counties with lower populations they have now relented and your can pump your own fuel.
Diesel is generally exempted from the self serve law. You can fill your own diesel truck (and gasoline motorcycle) - anyone telling you otherwise is out of date.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
That's interesting I would think there is an exemption for Truck Stops, the only benefit I could see is this prevents scammers from putting a skim device in the gas pump card readers, there is so much theft these days they are getting bolder and bolder.

·
Registered
2018 RAM 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel
79 Posts
That's interesting I would think there is an exemption for Truck Stops, the only benefit I could see is this prevents scammers from putting a skim device in the gas pump card readers, there is so much theft these days they are getting bolder and bolder.
It is only gasoline that cannot be self-pumped. Since diesel fuel is not classified as a class I flammable liquid, it has in fact never been illegal to pump your own by state law. Individual station managers can choose to not allow it, but that is a local choice.

I have a TSD card that I use at all of the Love's/Pilot/TA truck stops that allows me to use the commercial fueling lanes, in Oregon. No attendant is even available at those pumps.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts