RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
July 9, 2021, day one. We packed up the RV and our 2021 Ram 2500 CTD and headed north from our home in Palmer, Alaska to the town of Deadhorse/Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. It is 823 miles one way.

We camped the first night in Anderson City. This small town has a city run campground with water and a RV dump. There is also electricity available. It cost us $20 for the night.
Anderson is about 75 miles south of Fairbanks. It was a nice quiet, clean campground. It was fairly buggy here, but not too bad.

Day two. We continued our journey north to Fairbanks where we filled up with diesel. So far the CTD mileage has been running at an average of 13.2 mpg while towing.

The Dalton Hwy starts about 80 miles north of Fairbanks via the Steese Hwy and Elliot Hwy near the town of Livengood (no services). The road is paved so far, and rife with frost heaves. Once we turned onto the Dalton Hwy proper, the pavement gave way to gravel. The gravel sections are pretty well maintained. They have crews working 24/7 to keep up with the truck traffic. While grading the road, material is windrowed into the center of the road. Then calcium chloride is spread on the windrow, and then water is sprayed, the windrow is re-graded and rolled. The mud this creates was huge and made quite a mess of things. But this creates a nice surface to drive on. While messy, it was faster then driving on pavement.

We made it that second day to the 5 Mile BLM Campground (5 miles north of the Yukon River crossing bridge), they have a rv dump and good water. It was free, pleasant and quiet. Day two we drove 220 miles in all.

The Yukon River Crossing, it is a very long span of a half of a mile.

The BLM 5 Mile Campground.

On day 3, after a good nights sleep, we dumped the tanks, and continued on. So far the road wasn't too bad, just messy. But watch out for potholes, they sneak up on you. Our next stop was the Arctic Circle, about 60 miles north of 5 mile BLM campground. There is a pull off and some stuff to read. We shut down the truck and had a proper breakfast there.

After breakfast we continued on to Coldfoot. The views just got better and better.

Finger Rocks formations.

An overview of Pump Station 5 looking north at the foot hills of the Brooks Range.

Due to limitations of 10 attachments, I will continue on the next post.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, very nice write-up (y) except the "buggy" part hope it wasn't skeeters:oops:
Mosquitoes up that way are HUNGRY. But the horse flies win the prize as the most obnoxious bug out there.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Mosquitoes up that way are HUNGRY. But the horse flies win the prize as the most obnoxious bug out there.
Hi: Sourdo... WOW!!! Never seen a horse fly. Come to think of it... never seen a deer fly either. They just tic me off.
Thanks for the "Dirty pictures" too!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Hi: sourdo... I always wondered where the "Dalton" gang went. Broke trail to the Arctic ocean. Looks like you'll need HD Springs on your TT.
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
329 Posts
We went a little ways past the Arctic Circle for Summer Solstice this year. Was a great trip and I was blown away at how nice the road was. I was expecting at least one tire blow out, but we ended up with no issues at all. We didn't even have near the dirt that you have already. I agree, the 80 miles from Fairbanks to the Dalton was the worst section of road for our trip.
We got stuck waiting for gas on our way back at the Yukon river crossing. There were several groups waiting. We pulled out our camp chef and cooked up probably 100 pancakes for everyone there. It was a fun little party listening to everyone's stories about their trips. No one showed up till after 11am to turn the pump on. I really want to spend a week and drive/camp the entire highway.

·
Premium Member
13,974 Posts
WOW this sure seems like a big adventure.

Appreciate the maps and reference to those locations so our readers can both follow and associate the pictures with the location on the maps.

Dirty. Dirty is a dirty word and I clearly see how your truck and trailer fit the description. Road pictures of what you are going through and what "windowed" actually looks like would be interesting also.

Keep on "truckin".

Reactions: sourdo

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We went a little ways past the Arctic Circle for Summer Solstice this year. Was a great trip and I was blown away at how nice the road was. I was expecting at least one tire blow out, but we ended up with no issues at all. We didn't even have near the dirt that you have already. I agree, the 80 miles from Fairbanks to the Dalton was the worst section of road for our trip.
We got stuck waiting for gas on our way back at the Yukon river crossing. There were several groups waiting. We pulled out our camp chef and cooked up probably 100 pancakes for everyone there. It was a fun little party listening to everyone's stories about their trips. No one showed up till after 11am to turn the pump on. I really want to spend a week and drive/camp the entire highway.
A flat tire would of been ok as I carry two spares.

Broken springs makes things pretty tough.

We passed the fuel at Yukon Crossing, it opens at noon to 7 pm. We made Fairbanks to Coldfoot on one tank with a 100 miles left.

We always enjoy the people out doing what we do, and always have a good time, sounds like fun cooking pancakes.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Were you using a bumper pull RV TT?

The hours at Yukon Crossing are noon to 7 PM. We had a 100 miles left of fuel going from Fairbanks to Coldfoot and did not need to stop there.

I think one would be OK to take a TT at least to Coldfoot without issue, but take this advice, just SLOW DOWN!

No faster then 40-45 mph, as you'll need to hit the brakes hard and often. Sometimes it's 25 mph, whatever, just don't push it, and accept going slow will get you there and back OK.

I learned on this trip, the worst sections were at the wet and soggy valley bottoms, steep gravel wash boarded grades, and pavement that has had asphalt mix bladed in with a grader to fill in the worst frost heaves. Those black spots on the road mean only one thing, frost heaves. They are everywhere and often, along with the pot holes. Black is red, just hit the brakes and avoid issues.

I need to find a good used "Alaska Camper" for those types of trips. Sleeping bags and a Coleman stove deal. I would highly recommend to anyone to not even think about pulling a 5th wheel, big bumper pull TT, or motorhome much past Coldfoot, and certainly not over Atigun Pass. There is a very nice campground set up for RV,s and tents just north of Coldfoot about 5 miles at Marion Cr. Pull through sites at that. And a great place to turnaround. It was nice, and the bugs were moderate and within tolerance level.

Another option is to stay in the man camps. I don't know what that costs but I'll bet it's north of $100. If you could overnight in Coldfoot, and Deadhorse, you could just drive it. This is an option that would appeal to me the most. You could cover some ground with just a pickup truck. I also thought about leaving the RV TT at Coldfoot for a night, and drive sans TT to Deadhorse. I would think your RV would be OK alone overnight. There is a campground host at Marion Cr. Campground.

Right now today it's warm up there. Highs of 70 F yesterday in Deadhorse, today calling for 72 F. This is on the Arctic Ocean too, these are record breaking temps. Sleeping was contentious with such daylight 24/7. At the 5 Mile BLM Campground it was 82 F and no wind, it was a bit stuffy trying to sleep. While I'm used to it being light when going to bed, I still had a hard time sleeping with the sun blaring in so late.

I should of taped tinfoil on the windows in the trailer.

Note the sky in the pictures, not a jet contrail in sight.

I'm still in awe of that trip.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
That looks like a great trip! Maybe I should start a thread to see who might be interested in making such a trip in a year or two. Personally, I would feel more comfortable traveling in a group, even a small group of two or three rigs.

Reactions: sourdo

·
Registered
149 Posts
Man... what a great post and story!

Wife and I have been trying to do that for 5 years. Four years ago, we attempted 2-up on a motorcycle and broke down in Spokane before we even got to Canada.

'Corse with COVID no telling when the Comie Canadian's will allow us to pass through.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts