RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

The Gen3 motor has joined the HPFP recall club

11K views 79 replies 28 participants last post by  SlowRoller 
#1 ·

Attachments

#3 ·
I'm in the same boat on you with my TDI VW.

#5 ·
This is a costly repair for Stellantis and may have encouraged them to discontinue the EcoDiesel in the Ram a little sooner than expected.

Reactions: Hammer
#6 ·
I just took truck in to dealer for “EgR cooler failure” per the work order. The code was P2457.00. The dealer sent me a video
Font Paper Paper product Document Number

discussion and the mechanic referred to the problem as a temperature sensor in the EGR cooler.

They noted the fuel pump recall and said part is on order but they don’t expect it soon. I will track the delivery time.

#7 ·
I'll apologize ahead of time as this is getting off topic, but I have to know. what dealer did you go to that provided a video walkaround by the tech explaining the work needed as well as his recommendations for maintenance and why? this is awesome service and it's something we should get at every dealer!

#16 ·
Have not read anything about what they might do. The physical mounting might be an issue as there has never been anything other than than the CP4 fitting into the Ecodiesel.

As an aside the Cummins engine has had the CP3 for over a decade. Then they switched to the CP4 but just for two model years - 2019 and 2020. Going back to the CP3 in 2021 and newer was no big deal as the motor literals always had a CP3. Yet, it has been over a year and Stellantis is not remotely done changing out those two years of production to the CP3. I waited near a full year after announcement to have mine changed. Many will wait significantly longer.

My guess is it will be multiple years before the Ecodiesels get a product that fits and they start the changes. With going on 9 years of the Ecodiesel, that's a lot of trucks and probably multiple years of waiting to do them all.

#21 ·
Meanwhile, I have two EcoDiesels and I'm looking for a third. ;)

#26 ·
There is no recall listed for my 2022 on the NHTSA site. Could it be they are building the new ones with an updated pump? Where do I find the build date?

#27 ·
My 2020 shows:

Status (Incomplete)
Recall Date (October 13, 2022)
FCA Recall (# Z96)
NHTSA Recall (#22V-767)
Recall Status (Incomplete but repair parts are not available)

Reactions: SlowRoller
#29 ·
The recall on 3rd gen is late in coming. They know there was a problem and kept building without changes. Some engineer was convinced that post Covid, the fuel pump problems would disappear.
My 22 Rebel with 10,000 miles failed in heavy traffic on November 1st. Looks like mid to late January before it is returned.
I was a little lucky. Drove from Chicago Area to Tampa Bay and arrived the day prior to the pump failure.
I was hauling a car with trailer as well as a motorcycle in the bed. Failure a day earlier could have been headache.
Came over from a Pro Tacoma. The Rebel is really nice, but the Toyota never came close to a dealer for other than the included oil changes.

#32 ·
That's ridiculous. Some here have said that their failed pump was replaced with the original version--still due to get the new version when--or if--it ever appears. Sorry you're going truckless for so long, or did they give you a loaner?

My Gen 3 is not under the recall, but I think it's just later in coming.

#31 ·
And VW and Daimler that have been using these pumps since 2008 have yet to issue any type of recall. VWAG stopped selling diesels in the US and Canada with the 2015 model for VWs and 2016 models for Audi. I think Daimler is still using the Bosch CP4.x pump in the Sprinter vans.

#46 ·
I think I'm having the opposite feelings. I'm sorta' sad about bringing home the '22 and selling the '19! I hope it's a fleeting sensation.

#42 ·
Very true. I sure wish we had all the information regarding what HPFPs are being used on what years/generations/models of trucks and, why isn't the Powerstroke and Duramax engines dealing with the same. I know they did years ago.

#44 ·
I just received the recall notice for my 2020. It says, "The remedy for this condition is not currently available."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.