RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts
Remember that the 2500/3500 are being moved back to the CP3.x pump. Not sure that same solution works with the 1500.

Remember that the 2500/3500 are being moved back to the CP3.x pump. Not sure that same solution works with the 1500.
Very true. I sure wish we had all the information regarding what HPFPs are being used on what years/generations/models of trucks and, why isn't the Powerstroke and Duramax engines dealing with the same. I know they did years ago.

GM switched to their own design a few years back. I think they only ran the Bosch pump for a few years. Not sure what Ford is running.

I just received the recall notice for my 2020. It says, "The remedy for this condition is not currently available."

Very true. I sure wish we had all the information regarding what HPFPs are being used on what years/generations/models of trucks and, why isn't the Powerstroke and Duramax engines dealing with the same. I know they did years ago.
I've heard that Ford and/or GM were covered by recommending a fuel additive in the owner's manual whereas Ram didn't. The lack of guidance leaves Ram more liable. Who knows how true that is, but that's what @OhioTech seems to believe.

Reactions: Hammer
My Dad always said about boats that the two happiest days of your life are the day you bring it home and the day you sell it.

I put the EcoDiesel in that same category.
I think I'm having the opposite feelings. I'm sorta' sad about bringing home the '22 and selling the '19! I hope it's a fleeting sensation.

That doesn't add up since the recall on the Gen 3 EDs for the HPFP is based on dates (May 29th, 2019 to January 21st, 2022) and the recall states that "some" (some being 31,794 RAMs) may be affected. My 2022 ED isn't part of the recall and I was built on the 13th of January. Since they are replacing the HPFP on the 2019 and 2020 Cummins and 2021 and on production are not of interest it would seem they have a replacement pump albeit in limited supply for retrofitting.
On the Cummins, they are going back to the previously used CP3, which was never installed on EDs.

I just plugged my VIN and no recall for anything. 2022 Limited Eco Diesel>>>>>Built in October also>>>>

I got my letter in the mail and it's like 65k trucks being recalled. I stopped by the dealership and they told me they will be putting the cp3 pump in. They told me right now its a software issue since the computer starts freaking out when the cp3 pump is installed and are trying to get the software fixed.

I'm thinking your dealer is confusing the heavy duty recall from the ED recall. The heavy duties are going back to the Cp3.x pump. I've seen nothing that indicates an easy swap into the ED engine. Maybe we will all be surprised with a Cp3 from Santa!

The dealer specifically talked about both, in fact I asked him that I didn't know thst the cp3 was compatible with the ecodiesel and knew Cummings went back to it. He was not confused, now that being said I can't guarantee it's the truth but that is what my local service department was telling me. Cause he knew the cp4 pumps was not very good and stated as well they should have kept with the cp3 pumps even though they are more expensive.

I got my recall letter the other day, plus an email notice from Carfax about it for some reason.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the pre-notice heads up that there's a recall coming when the problem child component isn't available yet. IMO all this does is erode confidence in the reliability of the engine in my truck. It sure makes me think twice about heading out on a road trip in the middle of winter with a truck that may or may not get you where you're going.

It also makes me glad that I didn't jump on a GDE tune yet due to the needed software upgrade with the recall. I know you can do the additional spare ECU with the GDE tune and this confirms why it would be a good decision to go that route. I'm also wondering if you'll need to have the ECU with the GDE tune upgraded by them after the new pump is changed out?

I'm thinking I'll probably leave my truck stock, get the recall done and then sometime in the future look at what truck I want next a couple of years from now.

I got my recall letter the other day, plus an email notice from Carfax about it for some reason.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the pre-notice heads up that there's a recall coming when the problem child component isn't available yet. IMO all this does is erode confidence in the reliability of the engine in my truck. It sure makes me think twice about heading out on a road trip in the middle of winter with a truck that may or may not get you where you're going.

It also makes me glad that I didn't jump on a GDE tune yet due to the needed software upgrade with the recall. I know you can do the additional spare ECU with the GDE tune and this confirms why it would be a good decision to go that route. I'm also wondering if you'll need to have the ECU with the GDE tune upgraded by them after the new pump is changed out?

I'm thinking I'll probably leave my truck stock, get the recall done and then sometime in the future look at what truck I want next a couple of years from now.
That's what I plan on doing

Without any real knowledge of the tune, I agree that the dealer will have to reflash to make the new pump work and that would probably make the current GDE tune inoperable. The recall will then require a new/updated GDE flash.

At one point, GDE posted that the replacement pump would be an updated version of the CP4. At that time, he didn't think a software change was in order.

Just got my fuel pump recall on my 2021 (build date of January 2021). I've got over 52,000 miles on the truck, about half of which were towing the travel trailer across the country three times and north to south once. I've got a trip planned for Alaska towing same trailer for next year. Truck has worked well, really well, but I'm not very happy with Ram/Stellantis right now, given the lack a fix. I'd be really P/O'd if it died half way up the Alaskan Highway.

The auto industry has had 10 years of faulty high pressure fuel pumps, they ought to be fixed by now. It's this kind of engineering FUBAR that puts companies out of business. Evinrude Outboards never recovered from its FICHT fiasco, 20 years ago, nobody ever trusted them again. Bombardier pulled the plug on them last year.

You wanna know what's ironic? As a class, full size trucks are close to the least reliable kind of vehicle you can buy. Its so bad right now that Consumer Reports rates a new Ram, with its "average" reliability score as the most reliable of all half and 3/4 ton pickups. The entire segment is a reliability joke. It seems to be in a bassbackwards race to the quality bottom, led ironically enough by Toyota's newest 6 cylinder turbocharged replacement for what was a venerable V8. But don't count GM, Ford, Nissan and Ram out of this race. GM and Nissan hasn't built a reliable full size truck in years and Ford has apparently never completely worked the bugs out of its turbos. Ford however has been saved from the statistical bottom b/c its 5.0 V8 sells just enough to push its average up. If Ford phases out their V-8, their numbers might decline a bit. But I figure that this recall won't affect Ram's rating because they don't sell many ecodiesels Ironic.

I've got a trip planned for Alaska towing same trailer for next year. Truck has worked well, really well, but I'm not very happy with Ram/Stellantis right now, given the lack a fix. I'd be really P/O'd if it died half way up the Alaskan Highway.
Buy from a reputable fuel source, use a fuel additive, and you'll be fine.

• Love
Reactions: Hammer
41 - 60 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.