RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw on the news that another round of GM recalls is being announced, another 7.6 Million vehicles. It just keep getting worse for GM.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I got another one for ya... gm canada is being sued by thier dealers because of all the junk(see uncompetitive caes^cars that are poorly built) they keep putting out thier market share in ontario went from almost 50% in the 90s to less than 10%.... what piles of crap

One has to wonder what happened to gm....they used to be a great companu

·
Registered
121 Posts
Let's be careful not to speak ill tidings against GM, otherwise we may find ourselves along with Fiat-Chrysler in such a predicament. And do not say it can not happen, because where there is human involvement failure is always possible. Our arrogance leads to failure time and again.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Let's be careful not to speak ill tidings against GM, otherwise we may find ourselves along with Fiat-Chrysler in such a predicament. And do not say it can not happen, because where there is human involvement failure is always possible. Our arrogance leads to failure time and again.
Well of course this is a biased forum, but it happens all the time, like...three days ago. Feds are probing RAM for axle lockups right now.

Linky.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The broken C clip. Popular topic on other Ram 1500's websites. A couple years ago Ram switch to a ZF spec'ed rear axle and got away from the weaker corporate axle.

·
Registered
317 Posts
What got GM to this point? mismanagement? Union contracts pushing the costs up? Competitor vehicles enticing customers to just ship? I've heard all 3 since the government jumped in to help GM out.

·
Registered
121 Posts
What got GM to this point? mismanagement? Union contracts pushing the costs up? Competitor vehicles enticing customers to just ship? I've heard all 3 since the government jumped in to help GM out.
I agree, but fundamentally my perception of GM is of a once great automaker who has failed to keep up with the times. Using materials that are substandard so that a fat profit can be made, on their trucks they supposedly make $10,000 to $12,000 on each truck. Add the opportunity to introduce the 4.5 Duramax a few years ago and failed to do so due to the bottom falling out. GM has consistently said they are ready to introduce a light duty diesel should the market arise, but yet they have failed to do so.

·
Registered
96 Posts
For work I drive a Chevy company work truck. 2007 Silverado 1500 with less than 60k. What a disappointment it is. Something always going on with it, ie, engine light going off and on fuel consumption anywhere from 12-15 mpg. with about 300 lbs of tools includng toolbox. Rack and pinion already replaced, transmission lunging forward at odd times. But they can't find anything wrong with it... so they say. Chevy used to be big, but now a big disappointment. Sad

·
Registered
39 Posts
Everyone must Remember when Chevy was " The Heartbeat of America" Looks like they are now in "Cardiac Arrest"
It starts at the top and works down. They need to Listen to what the consumer prefers and would like , make it, and "They will come"
Ram listened with the ED . Now add some great customer service and you get 2013 and 2014 Truck of the year

·
Registered
37 Posts
But didn't GM announce near-record sales for the quarter and year today? Can't seem to find the article now. But did just see the headline about the GM plant explosion. That's not good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Everyone must Remember when Chevy was " The Heartbeat of America" Looks like they are now in "Cardiac Arrest"
It starts at the top and works down. They need to Listen to what the consumer prefers and would like , make it, and "They will come"
Ram listened with the ED . Now add some great customer service and you get 2013 and 2014 Truck of the year
I seem to remember when the govt was "investing" in them they had lots of influence on what they built!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I want to think GM is going Backward , Ford is staying with what has been working for them
Chrysler Dodge is becoming more innovative and spending money on R & D , etc
Word of mouth will help Dodge, and hurt the others

·
Registered
270 Posts
The thread topic is basically the reason I'm on this forum now and saw this coming long before all the recalls started rolling out.

As a life-long Chevy guy I was excited to see the "new" 2014 models since I was getting to the point where I was beginning to look for a replacement to my '06 Duramax (which has been a great vehicle, BTW). I was left a little underwhelmed by what they debuted and still thought it would be a fine truck, but would probably switch to GMC since I really didn't care for the looks of the Chevrolet. FFWD a few months when folks started getting their 2014's and it seemed like it was one issue after another. A lot of little things, but enough that it was more of a pattern than a fluke or a coincidence. Something was definitely not right and I decided to take a few steps back to regroup and decide what my options were. While all of this was happening I had been keeping an eye on the Ram ED because what I have wanted for quite some time was a 1/2 ton + diesel engine and finally someone stepped to the plate.

The fan boys (which are on this forum too) continued to plead that "it happens to all new vehicles", but that is a bogus excuse which I refuse to accept and one that is not acceptable when you're paying $45-55K. Call a spade a spade, put aside your delusional love for a material object, and come to grips with reality...these new pickups from GM were designed on the cheap and have poor QC.

The sad thing is that the real world issues aren't being addressed by these recalls because they aren't "safety" items and the folks who have bought them are left to deal with a substandard vehicle every time they jump into the driver's seat.

At this point I'm waiting for the 2015 ED's to be released and will probably put in an order at that time. I really don't anticipate going back to GM until I start seeing some of these problems addressed sooner than later...and that doesn't seem to be happening.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was in California 3 weeks ago when they announced the previous rounds of recalls of the ignition switches. I was turning in my rental car and the guys on the line were talking about pulling all of the malibu's off the line and putting them on a side lot, they couldn't be rented again until they were fixed. If you think of the large numbers of rental companies who have these cars in inventory and have to get them fixed before they can return to use, that equates to a lot of dollars to these companies. I think GM is a victim of bad management and too much Gov oversight which led to where they are now. I remember when Chrysler cars were like that, the "K" car time frame. All companies go up and down, but this is a major back slide for GM.

·
Registered
940 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Government oversight and the bailout had nothing to do with GM's problems. That switch was designed and began to be installed long before any bailout, ignoring the problem began long before any bailout, and the problem itself has been blown completely out of proportion by the media (as usual) just like the Toyota gas pedal thing and the Ford/Firestone/rollover thing in the 90s. Not that GM, or Ford, or the government (or Fiat/Chrysler for that matter) are perfect because they aren't.

With the above said I am not sure that Ram isn't the best truck and may well buy one in a year; but probably the 3/4 ton Cummins because I don't really think the little ecodiesel has the pulling power I want. I WILL NOT get another f250 (my current truck + the one before that). I may get a Duramax we will see. It will probably be between the Cummins and the Duramax but I need to wait and see what other half ton diesel options come out between now and the time I buy.

GM will rebound from this ignition switch thing and then it will be someone else's turn in the barrel and the media will blow that one all out of proportion too.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I got another one for ya... gm canada is being sued by thier dealers because of all the junk(see uncompetitive caes^cars that are poorly built) they keep putting out thier market share in ontario went from almost 50% in the 90s to less than 10%.... what piles of crap

One has to wonder what happened to gm....they used to be a great company
In 1978 US Justice Dept was going to break up GM. At that time GM had a 58% market share of all cars/light trucks sold in the US.
An amazing thing happened, they started to produce really sh*tty cars. Word was GM Senior management said we could produce dog poop and they will buy it.
That corporate arrogance spelled the demise of GM. We can see from whats happening, the bankruptcy of GM and all these recalls the culture has not changed.

If it wasn't for the rank and file line worker, I would have said let the company ****ing go under. It's always the little guy that gets hurt.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
In 1978 US Justice Dept was going to break up GM. At that time GM had a 58% market share of all cars/light trucks sold in the US.
An amazing thing happened, they started to produce really sh*tty cars. Word was GM Senior management said we could produce dog poop and they will buy it.
That corporate arrogance spelled the demise of GM. We can see from whats happening, the bankruptcy of GM and all these recalls the culture has not changed.

If it wasn't for the rank and file line worker, I would have said let the company ****ing go under. It's always the little guy that gets hurt.
Those jobs would just be created at another manufacturer.... so half dozen to one 6 to another..... although competition is good so I hope they don't go under, it wouldn't surprise me if they end up drastically smaller in another 10 years....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts