RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blown tire on I 75. Horrible truck traffic to dodge. Got off road and spare on in a miserable sweat shop. State Police told me of a tire shop in Lake City.

Four hours total, stuck behind shot where I pulled into dead end, $400 and an expensive lunch for the wife-on road again.

Third replacement set of tires after originals in 9 years. I blow them often and then change. Tire man told me he never changed a worn tire on an RV.

Trouble finding campground late. Bugs bit me horrible. Hot. One propane tank full but not working with regulator. Beats me. Fridge near ruined food but beer ok.

TV signal non-existent. No WiFi. Rain. 13.5 mpg at 65-72 mph. Cool transmission best thing. Oil running 250 plus with coolant around 230 at cruise. Truck ok. Occupants ???

The joy of RV’s is not easy or cheap.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Try disconnecting the regulator from the propane tank , then make sure the valve opens easily,then reconnect the regulator and open the valve very slow ,this procedure allows the gas to slowly pressurize the regulator .... Not saying this will work , but most propane regulators have a safety that restricts propane flow if opened to quickly ...

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I have had to take the propane tank off my gass grill and flip it upside down for a sec then flip it back over a few times to get it to work.

Not sure I completely understand it, a guy that fills propane tanks showed me, has something to do with a safety valve or something is what he said.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
What tires you running capt?

Use to have really good service from carslile radials but they went to complete crap for the last few sets. The goodyear endurance are suppose to be good but I haven't tried them. I have always considered a properly sized LT tire a good replacement.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I came across a YouTube video recently that covered issues with trailer tires not lasting. There was a certain brand that was prone to failure. I think they were rebranded tires from China. Sorry to hear about your adventure. Pray my three weeks trip will be clear sailing. Pulling a 4000lb toy hauler from Abilene TX to Layton UT then on to Sturgis and back home. Maybe 3000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
2,953 Posts
“Tire man told me he never changed a worn tire on an RV.” :D. Truer statement has never been made. We camped over Independence Day weekend and I told the son in law he has one more summer on his original China bombs before he will need new ones. He said what for they are like new? I said you run 3 summers and the fourth requires new or you will learn where the term China bombs come from. A lot of Airstreams get new Michelin truck tires before leaving the dealership.

Wait Cap no excess temp transmission?.. what a great trip. :)

GDE’s said if it’s not 244 water 266 oil your good. :p

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
DT does sell an 80psi store brand trailer tire for about $65 a pop. Pulled my 8x24 cargo trailer with flood relief supplies to Baton Rouge w/o issue couple of years ago. Trail weight had to be 20k+ full of hammers,sheet rock, nails, ect.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
To me most of the trailer tire issues is with age. They handle the weight fine till they are 2-3 years old.

Our TT came with Carslile radials they lasted 11 years before the first blew and we replaced them. Second set lasted 9 years before the first blew and we replaced them the 3rd set made it 2 years.

When we moved our dozer a couple years ago the tires on the gooseneck were 4 years old 14 ply I think load range g or f fully inflated and rated to carry more than was on them we blew 2 (had 2 spares) and peeled the third when we stopped took all the tires off and got a new set lol. Vern was right, they hit a few years old and fall apart.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
To me most of the trailer tire issues is with age...
When we moved our dozer a couple years ago the tires on the gooseneck were 4 years old 14 ply I think load range g or f fully inflated and rated to carry more than was on them we blew 2 (had 2 spares) and peeled the third when we stopped took all the tires off and got a new set lol. Vern was right, they hit a few years old and fall apart.
when carrying "big weight" , speed is your enemy ,
temperature builds up in the tires to the point they blow up .

·
Registered
162 Posts
My uncle had a tire blow out on his dual axle TT last summer. The tires were less than a year old, and he checked them before he left on the trip. Suddenly, on a highway in Tennessee (he lives in Ohio), one of the tires literally exploded and took out the adjacent tire, blew through the wheel well and took out a couple of cabinets inside the trailer. He had to request a special flat bed tow truck to take his trailer to a local shop to replace the tires and repair the damage good enough so he could limp home. He filed an insurance claim for the remaining damages to the inside of the trailer. He went back to the tire dealer who sold him the China made tires. They offered to replace all of his tires for free and said they no longer will carry that brand of tire (sorry I don't remember which brand they were). So, it could have been much worse, glad you and your wife got through the ordeal o.k.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've been told by three different tire dealers the problem is the RV manufactures put the minimum size/spec tire on. since then I have updated to the next size up tire as well as the next heat range & have not had a blown tire since/ knock on wood!

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
when carrying "big weight" , speed is your enemy ,
temperature builds up in the tires to the point they blow up .
Yep. We kept it to 55 mph in the morning and still lost 3 tires, tires were rated for more weight than was on them and were fully inflated. The brand new replacements covered 3x the distance at 60-65 mph in the heat of the afternoon just fine. Time is a killer.

·
Super Moderator
2,953 Posts
Time as mentioned speed as mentioned and over or under inflation. Under inflation is pretty self evident as it can be seen and you also can read or feel the tire getting excessively hot. But many people falsely believe max inflation is also where the tires maximum load carrying capacity is. It often is not. You can normally find out at what psi the tire is rated for maximum load carrying capacity from the Mfgr or through their distribution channel. At that inflation it may have a slightly higher rolling resistance but it will live longer both in terms of mileage or wear and reduced odds of a blow out. Despite having read this and being told this from tire gurus over the years I couldn’t fully believe it and had to prove this to myself and unfortunately over time and involving lots of tires I have. :rolleyes:

On another note recently I saw a fella with a long horse trailer loaded up 3 axles pull out of the Love’s from where he should not have been. Last tire on the passenger side went over the curb. I was close enough to see it smunched the sidewalk up to the rim as it went over. Thought while it bounced back and looked good that it was probably a goner. I caught up with him a few hours down the road.. changing that tire.

Note captains is on the driver side so no curbs. As to inflation only the captain knows.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I forget which tire manufacturer it was, either goodyear or carlisle, but I contacted one of them and asked about inflation. They recommended to always run trailer tires at max PSI no matter the load. I have also read that with the old goodyear marathons that if you were going to travel at 65+ mph they recommended goin a certain amount, I forget if it was 10 psi or 10% over what was on the sidewall of the tire.

·
Registered
12,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fighting a toy hauler with ants now. Gonna deal with the propane maybe later today. In a campground in Maggie Valley, NC until the 21st.

New GDE turbo brake got a workout this morning. Nice like the old program but seems to hold at a lower rpm. Darn trailer brakes must be worn. Moved control up over 8 in the setting. Used to be 6 or so. Things wear out.

Tires were Hercules. Before that they were Carlisle. Before that Goodyear. Now the newest ones are more Hercules. 65 psi is where they are and that is the max for these. Always keep them up. They blow anyhow. On a box trailer I had one blow the side off the trailer around the wheel well. Once I had an entire wheel fly off and over a hill. All the blowouts on this trailer have been within three years of new tires.

As for brand, when you blow you get what the tire shop has where you are. Cannot eve remember replacing a trailer tire around home. You go - they blow. Buy what you can.

Beer time.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Blown tire on I 75. Horrible truck traffic to dodge. Got off road and spare on in a miserable sweat shop. State Police told me of a tire shop in Lake City.

Four hours total, stuck behind shot where I pulled into dead end, $400 and an expensive lunch for the wife-on road again.

Third replacement set of tires after originals in 9 years. I blow them often and then change. Tire man told me he never changed a worn tire on an RV.

Trouble finding campground late. Bugs bit me horrible. Hot. One propane tank full but not working with regulator. Beats me. Fridge near ruined food but beer ok.

TV signal non-existent. No WiFi. Rain. 13.5 mpg at 65-72 mph. Cool transmission best thing. Oil running 250 plus with coolant around 230 at cruise. Truck ok. Occupants ???

The joy of RV’s is not easy or cheap.
The most important piece of item to carry when towing an RV is the cooler, in the back, full of ice and beer, because I needed it every day, it was always something.....

·
Registered
700 Posts
My uncle had a tire blow out on his dual axle TT last summer. The tires were less than a year old, and he checked them before he left on the trip. Suddenly, on a highway in Tennessee (he lives in Ohio), one of the tires literally exploded and took out the adjacent tire, blew through the wheel well and took out a couple of cabinets inside the trailer. He had to request a special flat bed tow truck to take his trailer to a local shop to replace the tires and repair the damage good enough so he could limp home. He filed an insurance claim for the remaining damages to the inside of the trailer. He went back to the tire dealer who sold him the China made tires. They offered to replace all of his tires for free and said they no longer will carry that brand of tire (sorry I don't remember which brand they were). So, it could have been much worse, glad you and your wife got through the ordeal o.k.
My brother had one explode on a motorhome, took out the black water tank, man what a shitty deal eh?

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
You guys seem to know a lot more than me about that subject ,
I don't even own a trailer anymore , what I am wondering is ::: the RVs and TTs that i see around here
are all jacked up in the air when parked for a long time , no weight on tires ,
and on top of that , they cover the tires with some sort of tarp , so that no sunlight can hit the tires
while not in use for months , in your opinions ,
does that seem useless , and time will still get to the tires and they would still blow after 3 years ???
or is that the way to save them ??

·
Registered
494 Posts
I've been told by three different tire dealers the problem is the RV manufactures put the minimum size/spec tire on. since then I have updated to the next size up tire as well as the next heat range & have not had a blown tire since/ knock on wood!
Our Jayco Jayflight 264BH Baja Edition came factory with Goodyear Wrangler TrailRunner AT 225/75r16 10ply E rated tires.

I was planning on replacing them after 5 years regardless of wear but maybe I'll reconsider and replace after 4 years.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts