RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,957 Posts
I think sun shades & suspended does help. Savage you have a truck tire not an undersized cheapest possible made low quality control China bomb. Just saying from what I’ve seen over the last say 15 years that if you run a “China bomb” cross country with a loaded out TT that one of them probably won’t finish the fourth summer.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I had a new hybrid TT a couple years ago. After sitting first winter the OEM Road Kings from China all cracked. Warranty replaced all 5. Youll never guess what happened after the second winter. Fought for 5 new Goodyears that solved the problem while I owned it.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
You guys seem to know a lot more than me about that subject ,
I don't even own a trailer anymore , what I am wondering is ::: the RVs and TTs that i see around here
are all jacked up in the air when parked for a long time , no weight on tires ,
and on top of that , they cover the tires with some sort of tarp , so that no sunlight can hit the tires
while not in use for months , in your opinions ,
does that seem useless , and time will still get to the tires and they would still blow after 3 years ???
or is that the way to save them ??
Kazi,

Covering the tires protects them from the ultra damaging UV rays from the sun.
UV rays can destroy pretty much most man-made products.
Now enter the Chinese crap tires and presto, you're stuck on the side of the road...
Isn't it great that our governments allow these bombs into our country while taking away North American jobs...

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Florida sun dry rot is a huge problem here necessitating changing within 3 years the OEM specs...however as stated cheap tires is the issue along with pressure and speed. Check pressure 30 minutes down the hot road (they are thin and heat fast), never put below an 80psi tire on a 5k plus trailer, and cover tire when parked.

Spray on a UV protectant while parking before covering, look for sidewall torque cracks, and replace with a tire overbuilt for the specs otherwise...keep the jack in an easy access location otherwise.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I have gone to a load range E on both the truck and trailer. The 4 Trailer tires have a capacity of over 11,000 lbs and a speed rating of 83 mph.

So, running less than 8000 lbs and speeds of 60 -65 these tires are not being stressed at all.

Most trailer tires are only rated for 65 mph. So when your running at 60 - 65 mph your stressing the tires to their max. Most people don't want to drive 50 -55 witch would be better for the tires.

Kinda like getting on your motorcycle and holding the throttle wide open everywhere you go, sooner or later it's going to go POP!

·
Registered
12,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The 205/75/15 tires on my toy hauler are not beefy. Every time I blow one the places I am forced to stop only have what they have. Always ask for better tires. They laugh and sell me what they have done at top dollar stranger pricing.

Worst WiFi in history at this RV park. Fourth one I tried and first that would even take me. $350 cash later I get crap for WiFi, overpressured water, dirty site and crowds of goofs walking round. The RV lifestyle has always sucked and continues to do so in lots of ways. 10 days of this coming up as the weather forecast is ran, rain, and more rain.

Cannot upload a picture of the wife staring into the fog at the top of Clingman’s Dome in the smokies. Rain and wet roads did little for he disposition. A run to Cherokee and a hamburger in the rain did not help. Traffic is grid lock with tourists like us. Rain just makes it a motorcycle adventure in misery.

finally done back to the campground and the rain stops. It must be part of the RV lifestyle experience. Do have shrimp and beer right now. Maybe not so bad?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Not to butt in but we will be packing up tomorrow so we can leave early Sunday morning. In the truck will be my wife and pregnant daughter and her 2 kids plus 3 dogs. One golden doodle, a 10 year old long haired miniature dash hound and our 7 mo old Chesa-poo. This all goes in our 27' KZ Bunk House Sportsman Show Stopper. My oldest son will be towing my 16 1/2' Aluminum bow rider with his wife and 3 kids and their tent and supplies and his yellow lab. We're going about 5 1/2 hours away to a Provincial camp ground for 6 nights. Should be a fun time as we have our fishing gear, 2 water tubes and 1 set of water skis. Also carry bikes for all. Last years camping week got cut 3 days short because of a forest fire evacuation order. This year has been wetter so hopefully no repeat. Got into the RV side 4 years ago as I was tired of setting up or tearing down the tents in the rain and having to crouch down to get onto an air mattress. Too old for that any more. Done it for over 50 years. Hoping for a good trip and Capt. hope nothing but the best for the rest of your touring.

·
Registered
12,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Not to butt in but we will be packing up tomorrow so we can leave early Sunday morning. In the truck will be my wife and pregnant daughter and her 2 kids plus 3 dogs. One golden doodle, a 10 year old long haired miniature dash hound and our 7 mo old Chesa-poo. This all goes in our 27' KZ Bunk House Sportsman Show Stopper. My oldest son will be towing my 16 1/2' Aluminum bow rider with his wife and 3 kids and their tent and supplies and his yellow lab. We're going about 5 1/2 hours away to a Provincial camp ground for 6 nights. Should be a fun time as we have our fishing gear, 2 water tubes and 1 set of water skis. Also carry bikes for all. Last years camping week got cut 3 days short because of a forest fire evacuation order. This year has been wetter so hopefully no repeat. Got into the RV side 4 years ago as I was tired of setting up or tearing down the tents in the rain and having to crouch down to get onto an air mattress. Too old for that any more. Done it for over 50 years. Hoping for a good trip and Capt. hope nothing but the best for the rest of your touring.
Bug spray along with full head nets. Fished all over Canada , I mean all over. Near have to bind your long pants and shirts tight to stop those bugs from eating a ring of blood around exposed skin. Hope it all works out for you and you have none of the experiences I have had. Memories are made through adversity. If all goes well it may be a forgettable experience.

Want to wish you well. Just not sure how.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm not going to pick on a certain tire manufacturer that rhymes with "Should Hear," but their last generation trailer ST-type tires haven't been my favorite.

Good news in this pictured case from two years ago: spare got us back in business, didn't ruin the trip... as long as we didn't lose another one! (We didn't).

However, not being able to afford a full upgrade to an LT tire on larger rims - as noted in this thread - I went with a full set of Maxxis ST tires in the original 215/70-14 size.

Combined with the KO2s on the truck, this 'full tire conversion' has been put through a lot of rutted gravel, and has worked flawlessly since.

GY.jpg

·
Registered
677 Posts
I've blown a lot of trailer tires. There were years where I was averaging a blown tire once every 4 (8-12hr) road trips.

Lessons learned:
Double over-rate your tires because all trailer tires are crap. Theoretically C (35psi) rated tires should just barely be able to handle my 7400-7600lb trailer. But they're not even close to tough enough. D rated (65psi) tires are better, but the flats didn't really go away until I went to E rated (80psi). By starting at max cold pressure you might see pressure climb by 5psi as temp goes up (1psi/10deg). If the pressure goes up more than that, figure out why the tire is getting so hot. But be wary of under inflating your tires because they're getting too hot on the road.

Start every roadtrip with tires at max cold pressure. Low tires makes the sidewalls support the weight of the trailer. That causes a bunch of repetitive sidewall flex. Pretty much every material known to man is weakened by repetitive flex.

Get a TPMS system from TST. I tried 3 other TPMS systems and they were junk. The problem is that they gave you no indication that they were telling you your tire pressure in real time. You might be looking at the tire pressure from the road trip last month, you can't know. Screwed up design logic. TST's TPMS tells you what your pressure and temp is right now. If the receiver loses commo with a sensor, that's made clear because the receiver shows you no info for that tire.

Carry 2 spares. I've used both my spares to make it home 3x in the last decade.

Have your tools handy. Have a trailer tire helper, a jack, breaker bar, torque wrench at 120ftlbs, and a socket all in a known, handy location. Heck, it was just a couple months ago that I bought a orange reflective vest for tire changes. Losing a left side tire on the freeway at night sucks. Your ass is practically hanging right out into traffic and the cars are zooming by at 80mph.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts