RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It may be a bit late for the first viewing and I am not normally a big fan of Mr. Ken Burns style coupled with his arrogance but I must say the segments of this PBS film that I have seen so far are very very good. It provides for me an historical perspective on country music as a whole and the individual personalities too. Very interesting particularly the way they couple it it what is going n in the country at the time of each segment. Tonight was the early Viet Nam era.

I presume I ma not the only one watching it on this forum and it would be interesting to hear comments from others.

If you haven't seen it give it a watch, at least the segment that covers when you were growing up.

All the best folks,

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've only caught a couple of episodes, need to figure out were to stream it from one of these days to watch it all.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've only caught a couple of episodes, need to figure out were to stream it from one of these days to watch it all.
Your local PBS station should have all the episodes broadcast so far available to view for free.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've watched them all so far. I'm a country music fan and know a decent amount of history. I've learned a lot of things I didn't know. Some of the things I've heard stories of but was clarified and detailed in the documentary. I'm looking forward to tonight's episode. Probably my favorite generation of country music will be discussed tonight.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Enjoyed Holly Williams at the Ole Opry this past Spring. She wrote a song to her Grandfather and called him a 'great man'...he was not the famous womanizing Grandfather on her dad's side...but on her mom's side...an authentic American WWII hero named Warren White. "Waiting on June" is the song.

He is the man she wants the world to know...not the 'tear in my beer' guy... Incredibly powerful moment to share with my youngest daughter that evening. Doubt Ken Burns will share this info.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I consider Ken Burns a national treasure. He is a gifted storyteller. He has the ability to take a complicated story and see the essential parts. His Civil War documentary was a better examination and explication of that searingly painful and existential cataclysm than any history book. Think about how complex an event the Civil War was and how central it is to who we are as a people today. It would have been easy to get bogged down in detail or to gloss over important events and issues. But, somehow, he threaded that needle. His Lewis and Clark: The Journey of the Corps of Discovery expanded and enhanced Steven Ambrose's book and brought that remarkable journey to life.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts