RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Here we go, my first impressions.

Firkins Chrysler in Bradenton was SUPER! They did not allow anyone to ride it except their techs and person to fuel up. Full tank of diesel and FULL DEF tank. Perfectly clean, neat and they threw in a set of floor mats with RAM on the front. Real nice. Many salesmen took pictures and many customers/others came to view it. It is/was the first and only one they ever had.

Sales procedure went perfectly and they even knocked off their dealer fee without me even mentioning it. Just wonderful - Firkins in Bradenton, Fl.. Zach Kopyt, the salesman, asked for feedback on the first ride and I called him after I got home. Here is some of what I said.

My wife likes it.

I was quite shocked at a few things and they were all good. First the backup camera image is in the rear-view mirror.

Salesman went over lots of "computer-type" things on the buttons, radio, readouts etc. My wife paid attention. I tuned it all out but there's lots of stuff to figure. She noted that the stock seats might show spills or dirt so suggested seat covers. Women.

Firkins is also giving me 4 complete oil changes good for the next two years. I checked under the hood and all fluid levels were full. I found no issues at all today.

Turned that dial and got it in gear. Firkins made me a third computer key which was nice. I pressed one of the extra key things and the truck dinged a bit. Gave it to my wife to hold and pulled out to immediately get stuck by traffic. The salesman had reset the fuel mileage Lie-o-Meter as I left. After an immediate stop to get parts at a local motorcycle shop I pulled out into heavy traffic. There was an accident on the bridge over the Manatee River and gridlock traffic. I looked at the lie-o-meter and it said 19 mpg.

It's NOT like any diesel I ever rode before. No sound. None. Someone had turned on the radio and that bothered me. Got it off and still, no sound from the engine, transmission or anything.

Got out of traffic and it fair flew down the road. Way more GO than the two Pentestar truck I test rode months ago. Real low rpm's also.

Decided to take a bit of interstate. At 75 mph I showed barely1,900 rpm's with those 3.55 rears. Took pictures of the gauges at different speeds.
Note the full DEF and fuel tank gauges plus the instant fuel mileage bar in the high 20's. This was almost immediately after I got out of the nasty traffic.

Really enjoyed the ride home. Pulled into one of the driveways and cut across the front yard to climb a mound I have with trees on it near the house. Never slipped a tire with damp grass and light rain trying to fall. The fuel consumption was now showing 25.1 mpg after the 22 mile ride home. Remember the first say 6 miles were hideous traffic and took a long time with two stops included.

Took a few pictures and added them to my Photobucket link.

Ram Ecodiesel Photos by 10percentmore | Photobucket

Truck then went to it's "house" for the first time. Much to do now. Darn running boards were cancelled but I found another set on Ebay and just ordered again. Returning the floor mats I bought to use the ones that the dealer provided. Cap goes on tomorrow morning and mud flaps, extra fuel tank, radios and more will be added in the next week or so.

Here it is at "home".

·
Registered
189 Posts
What a nice looking truck and a bunch of good info to keep me going until mines here.Suposed to be built tomorrow.I'm going to give out cigars when I know for sure it's born.What's the color of your truck?Real nice looking.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Congrats! 25mpg for 22miles in a brand new truck. Excellent. What are you planning on towing with it and did you intentionally want 3.55 gears?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Thanks for the update and pics! Enjoy your truck.:cool:

·
Registered
362 Posts
I like the look of the single exhaust vs the duals. I can't stand the bumper molded around the pipes. This looks much better. I thought all rams where duals, anyone know if the outdoorsman has single exhaust pipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
735 Posts
Nice!!:cool: Are those wheels 17" or 20"? (17' I think...looks like a little meat to the sidewalls and close rotor clearance).

·
Registered
396 Posts
really nice truck. thanks for your first review, I've been waiting to read your thoughts. Mine was suppose to be built today. Cant wait to see your thoughts after a few days.
Nice hat!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Lookin good!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Awesome information thank you,. I liked all of it until I saw your temperature read out, we saw 40 degrees for the first time in a long time today!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Congrats.

I'm trying to wait patently... but its killing me to see these trucks starting to flow out of the dealers... and my is at the factory still. Oh well... I'll have mine soon enough.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Capt, thanks for the report and nice truck ! by the way, looks like you sucked in your gut for this picture !! or it may be the black shirt ! Congrats. Hearing the ordering issues, and the 2 reports that Ram may have stopped orders, glad you got your truck buddy. Marsman

·
Registered
132 Posts
Nice truck Capt, the one I ordered is optioned very similar. it has been built and awaiting shipment for almost 3 weeks, not bitter though, just cause I ordered mine back in the second week of January. Hope you put on many happy miles, and figure out all those buttons, and don't worry it will only take a couple of years to get used to no clutch.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Congrats. Looks great.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts