RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear a lot of members expecting to get 200K + miles from their trucks, but what are the statistics? Not very optimistic, I'm afraid.

Top 15 Cars to Last 200K Miles

·
Registered
220 Posts
About a decade ago, automotive companies started purposely engineering an expected End of Life into their vehicles. We see evidence of that by the "lifetime" transmission fills (which means expected life of the transmission when you don't change the fluid), typically 120K miles. I think it's ironic that some companys are showing ads with some of their owners making it to 400K miles or so. What is never told is that they are typically on their 3rd engine, 2nd transmission, 6th set of brakes, etc...

·
Registered
450 Posts
According to story only 1% if vehicles make it past 200,000 miles. I must be lucky in my car buying, I've never owned a car that didn't make it past 200,000 in just basic maintenance.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I think the article is a bit misleading. I can go look at the classifieds in my state and see 12 Toyota Prius's that have over 200,000 miles and there are plenty of other vehicles over 200,000 miles that were made in the last 10 years. so I'm not sure where the articles getting its facts from. If I can find 12 vehicles for sale at this moment of just 1 model and all have over 200k miles then something is off. It's set up for views and more clickbait than it is for informational purposes. It is an MSN article after all.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Fun read thanks for posting. I've had 3 go over 200k in the last 4 years and 2 over 250k.

200k cars/trucks are all over Florida w/ good roads and no salt. The harsher roads and winters up North clearly hinder life cycle expectancy.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
True, they don't give the criteria for "expected life". I would guess that it is some point at which a certain percentage of the cost of the vehicle is spent on repairs. Or, cost of repairs vs resale value. Obviously, if you spend enough, you can keep a vehicle for an unlimited number of miles. I have seen some with over 1M miles, but how much did it cost to do so?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Something doesn't smell quite right with that article. Only one sedan in the whole list and the majority of the vehicles were Toyotas. I had to laugh when I saw the Honda Ridgeline.

My daughter's 05 corolla is now at 210,000. Needs a paint job but the motor has had nothing major done to it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
EVER HEAR OF THE CUMMINS MILLION MILE CLUB? I think if you delete a new 6.7 cummins,maintain filter/oils they will run a very long time.Like any new diesel the emissions system polutes our oil and harms the engine every time you drive it

·
Registered
13,223 Posts
After I return from Bike Week I will be able to show you a picture of the engine compartment from a Ram 1500 with over 600,000 miles on it.

Trucks not a subject here but many of the big diesels in 25-3500’s ply the roads with over 1/2 million miles on them. My old Cummins easily did near 1/2 a mil. Probably still running along.

·
Super Moderator
3,134 Posts
Actually I think most cars since the 90s if properly maintained & not wrecked go 200k. We went through 4 teenage drivers so we had several cars that went 200k.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
In addition to maintenance and design a key factor in determining the miles you can put on a vehicle are the miles driven per year. The 30,000 mile per year person is a lot more likely to get there than the 7000 mile per year driver. Time, sun, and rust all take a toll on ultimate vehicle life.

·
Registered
13,223 Posts
Yeah but the sun here bleaches out the paint and the body rusts through from the roof down.

Kind of crazy to see rusted roofs, hoods and trunks on vehicles with the ret of the paint and body looking fine.

·
Registered
891 Posts
That's how my daughter's corolla looks. In part, I think it has to do with the "Toyoyta Super Paint protection" package they already applied to the car. I see others running around Charlotte the same color and not all of them have the issue. There was also a period of time (late 80s?) where the clear coats failed adhesion to the colored coats and casued peeling.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I tried but couldn't get though the list. That website is click bait. As I roll through the list it quickly sticks a frickin' auto review in place of the 2nd or 3rd position. It's amazing how desperate some of these vehicle websites have become. Hopefully they go the way of the magazine.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
SOunds like a bunch of BS to me, do basic maintenance and modern cars will go a bunch of miles!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts