RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who would have though that a truck with 114,000 kms.(70,795 mi.) & an MSRP just south of 80 Grand, I'd have to rebuild the rear brakes. New rotors, pads, rebuild the calipers and to top it off one of the emergency brake pads fell apart too, and I never use them!!! The bill including an oil change was just over 700 bucks + txs. The fronts are only around 40% worn. What a Load!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 253,000 KM.
You can thank Canadian winters, road salt and brine, plus your truck sits for periods of time with moisture and salt combination as it's worst enemy.
PLUS.....shitty Mopar quality. My rear pads separated from the backing plates when the truck was 2 years old and around 70,000kms. You did well.

Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
Ouch,

My old Cummins went over 200,000 miles on original brakes. The Ecodiesel had brakes that were like new when I moved from it at about 115,000 miles. Now you have to replace the rears and have badly worn fronts also.

Sum Ting Wong

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can thank Canadian winters, road salt and brine, plus your truck sits for periods of time with moisture and salt combination as it's worst enemy.
PLUS.....shitty Mopar quality. My rear pads separated from the backing plates when the truck was 2 years old and around 70,000kms. You did well.
Hi: Ecosparky... Thanks... I feel a lot better... poorer but better!!! No wonder I don't hit the brakes till my wife grabs for the hand hold!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ouch,

My old Cummins went over 200,000 miles on original brakes. The Ecodiesel had brakes that were like new when I moved from it at about 115,000 miles. Now you have to replace the rears and have badly worn fronts also.

Sum Ting Wong
Hi: Captainmal... That's a family member to Wu Wong Tu. Goes good now... stops betta!!!

Registered
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie 3.92 Charlotte, NC
The trucks are probably rear brake biased since there is usually no weight over them and you need more braking out of the rears when towing. So you apply the brakes and you get something like 60% braking to the rears and 40% to the front. (Numbers are speculation on my part). Guess it's something to keep a closer eye on.

My 2000 VW Beetle was set up this way. I went through the rear rotors at about 25k miles. Once I learned that and getting away from the OEM pads, I ended up replacing rears about every 40k. Traded it in at 160k and never replaced the fronts.

Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
Mine have 110,000 mile son them are stock and as of my last tire rotation 2000 miles ago in great shape with tons of pad left. I pulled close to 7000 lbs yesterday on a flatbed WITH NO BRAKES and it handled really well and stopped well. I have a respect for following distance.

Also if you got out the door with an oil change and rear brake rebuild for $700..... i would count my lucky stars!!!!!!!!!!!

Registered
Wow. I'm at 190,000 km's i've done the front brakes once. just pads. I've done the rears 3 times! that includes rebuilding 1 of the calipers and having the parking brake fiasco as well. delaminated, but never used. The fronts were replaced at the dealer with mopar....they lasted i want to say 140,000kms. The first time I did the rears was at 84,000. The last time i had them done with the CarQuest pads and rotors rated for emergency vehicles and cabs. So far, so good.

Registered
half of that $700 was for the labor... rear calipers are only about $45-60 each depending on brand and you can get all four higher quality rotors and pads for around $225 total.. and the emergency brake rebuild kit is under $75

Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 253,000 KM.
half of that $700 was for the labor... rear calipers are only about $45-60 each depending on brand and you can get all four higher quality rotors and pads for around $225 total.. and the emergency brake rebuild kit is under $75
In the US....but not up here in Canada. Much pricier.

Registered
In the US....but not up here in Canada. Much pricier.
not according to a quick glance at ebay.ca I know you guys have tarrifs and taxes but I cant see it being that much more.. I live right by the border and used to go up there fairly often.. in fact I just spent a couple days there for work and everything I bought was comparable to NY... granted I didnt buy auto parts. I just priced it all out on the canadian ebay and its about $50 more for everything together than us ebay prices.

Registered
What you are not seeing is the average shipping fee is $112 plus when the product arrives we have to pay customs fees charges by the Cdn Government. Buying these parts on eBay only makes sense if the parts are shipped from Canada.

Registered
What you are not seeing is the average shipping fee is $112 plus when the product arrives we have to pay customs fees charges by the Cdn Government. Buying these parts on eBay only makes sense if the parts are shipped from Canada.
well I was going by the items with free shipping but yes I wasnt including customs fees whatever they might be. I'm on the otherside of lake Erie where I guess its worth while to travel here for brake work.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Mine have 110,000 mile son them are stock and as of my last tire rotation 2000 miles ago in great shape with tons of pad left. I pulled close to 7000 lbs yesterday on a flatbed WITH NO BRAKES and it handled really well and stopped well. I have a respect for following distance.

Also if you got out the door with an oil change and rear brake rebuild for $700..... i would count my lucky stars!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi: MAS... I counted my "Lucky stars"... but I didn't count the tx's @ 13%. My Mech. used AC Delco Silver coated rotors at $153.89 ea. Pads $69.98 for 4 & emerg. shoes $56..23 for 4. $49.95 for the oil chg. and I supplied the filter and 10 L of Rotella T6 5W40. In the door at 8 and out the door at noon.

Registered
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie 3.92 Charlotte, NC
So the $700 was for brakes and labor on the oil change. That makes more sense. I paid $140 for my oil change last week at a local shop. $30 was for labor.

Registered
I put new pads on mine at 100,000 miles, but I think the originals would have gone another 100,000 miles. IMHO, Ram has better brakes than the competition, especially Ford. Rotors looked mint. Maine goes heavy with salt, calcium chloride , spray brine and who knows what else. I changed pads on my last Ram at 160,000 miles, rotors made it to 300,000 miles. My mechanic has had to change brakes on his F150 at 40,000 miles and I've hears similar wear from other F150 owners.

Registered
Good Grief.... glad i found this thread... sounds like there is no mechanical bias valve on this truck ( my tacoma has one) That is a bummmer...but good to know... i am gonna have to pull my wheels and check the rear brakes... 35k and no issues... and i'd like to keep it that way! That being said... i may upgrade to to the Power Stop stuff when the time comes.

Premium Member
2014 RAM Big Horn 4x4 Quad diesel
The trucks are probably rear brake biased since there is usually no weight over them and you need more braking out of the rears when towing. So you apply the brakes and you get something like 60% braking to the rears and 40% to the front. (Numbers are speculation on my part). Guess it's something to keep a closer eye on.
I may be way off, but my understanding is that vehicle brake effort is biased to the front, as weight transfers forward when braking.

On motorcycles you always apply the front brakes harder than the rears, or risk rear wheel lockup. That鈥檚 why most all sport motorcycles designed for heavy braking have large front dual discs, with small singles in the rear.

The danger of rear wheel lockup is especially pronounced with pickups, as the weight transfer exacerbates the already light rear.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts