RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first truck, of four total, that doesn't have a LSD. I'm pretty sure I'm going to install one after the holidays, but I've never shopped for one. Where is the best place to buy it? The is eleventy billion online retailers, plus the dealer, that sell Ram Truck parts. What's a good price for all the parts, and what all do I need? What should I expect to pay for install? Is the dealer a good place to get it done or should I look for an Independant shop? Thanks!

Sent from a telecommunication device with a touch screen keyboard.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I wonder if it'd be cheaper/easier to find a whole OEM LSD axle from a Junk Yard or even Ebay for that matter and swap the whole thing.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I wonder if it'd be cheaper/easier to find a whole OEM LSD axle from a Junk Yard or even Ebay for that matter and swap the whole thing.
It would probably be cheaper but then you end up with used parts with possibly no warranty. The dealer is usually your best bet for warranty backing the repair, plus they usually have the most experience with the repairs but unfortunately they are also usually the most expensive. It's your call.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I don't trust the dealers at all, but i guess if you want to try and hold onto a warranty of some sort that's the way you have to do it. Otherwise a good Low mileage salvage unit will probably cost less in parts and labor and if it does blow up on you, you still have your factory spare laying around. If you have somebody crack open your axle and install an aftermarket LSD and it fails, whether the dealer installs it or somebody else installs it, you're probably going to get caught in the middle of the blame game where the installer says the part failed and the manufacturer says the installer screwed it up meanwhile you've got no truck.

The only way you're 100% protected is if you buy an OEM LSD and have the dealer install it, but that's going to be really big $$$.

·
Registered
12,560 Posts
Me neither. I still have only a clue that it has something to do with the ring and pinion in the rear end.

To me the letters L S D stand for ...

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Other than costing some extra cash, I'd either put an aussie locker, either a Yukon or ox. Or a true track lsd. I believe the stock lsd is with clutches, since it requires friction oil, correct? True tracks use helical gears that last more then clutched.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Other than costing some extra cash, I'd either put an aussie locker, either a Yukon or ox. Or a true track lsd. I believe the stock lsd is with clutches, since it requires friction oil, correct? True tracks use helical gears that last more then clutched.
The only question is can you find one for the ZF version of the 9.75" rear end?

All our trucks have that ZF rear, and AFAIK they won't take a pre-ZF locker or other differential (or even gears) without extra parts including (I think) one of the axle shafts. Lots of extra money.

That's why a lot of the LSD, locker, and gears state that the work through '11 or '12 (can't remember which year they switched).

·
Registered
48 Posts

All our trucks have that ZF rear, and AFAIK they won't take a pre-ZF locker or other differential (or even gears) without extra parts including (I think) one of the axle shafts. Lots of extra money.

That's why a lot of the LSD, locker, and gears state that the work through '11 or '12 (can't remember which year they switched).
yeah, I think the only ZF drop ins available are LSDs, Mopar and Auburn, both about $650

·
Registered
1,052 Posts

I looked at randys ring and pinion (ringpinion.com) and it looks like they do have some options. But all are flavors of lsd...

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
How can you tell if you have a limited slip differential, I have a 2014 Big Horn 4x4?
I've never tried to do this with lsd, as I never had one, but I'd guess the easiest is to try this: lift one rear wheel on a jack, and on the other wheel put a wheel stopper in front (or a cinder block if you don't have a stopper). Then put the truck in gear and gently lift the brake. With a full locker, the lifted wheel will either stop spinning putting your engine on load, either the idle engine torque will try pushing the ground wheel over the stopper, as the locker binds both axles together and making your open Diff in a closed Diff (like a spool). Lsd have some pressure rings that actuate the clutches when a wheel slips. The unknown with the lsd for me is that I do not know how big is the pressure that is required to engage the pressure rings, so in the above example, if you'd lift the brake while truck is in gear, your lifted wheel may still be spinning. If you'd accelerate gently, in a safe way so the truck won't rocket forward from the jack, the lsd should start working and try to push the ground wheel over the stopper, while the raised wheel will be still spinning. This may or may not work, as the esp may kick in and engage the abs breaks in an attempt to correct a slippage.

I Google a video that explains how lsd works.

Edit: if you would be able to spin the lifted wheel fast enough, with Trans in N and truck stopped (so no electronics will kick in), you should feel at some point a resistance, which is the moment when the pressure rings start to engage.

·
Registered
48 Posts
This is my first truck, of four total, that doesn't have a LSD. I'm pretty sure I'm going to install one after the holidays, but I've never shopped for one. Where is the best place to buy it? The is eleventy billion online retailers, plus the dealer, that sell Ram Truck parts. What's a good price for all the parts, and what all do I need? What should I expect to pay for install? Is the dealer a good place to get it done or should I look for an Independant shop? Thanks!

Sent from a telecommunication device with a touch screen keyboard.

These are the ones I know op (all LSDs). The cheapest I think is the mopar.

9.25ZF-LSD
AG5420142-HP
YP-PC9.25-ZF

I may do this at some point down the line. But would be installing it myself. Would like a locker though, not real crazy about LSDs, but at this point locker not real practical solution.

If you wind up getting one, please share the results, thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
How can you tell if you have a limited slip differential, I have a 2014 Big Horn 4x4?
Burnout. If smoke comes out of both rear wheels in 2WD you have LSD. Just kidding, your weak truck cant do a burnout, LOL!
I would think the VIN should indicate this option if only we had a VIN decipher?
4x4s have good chance of having LSD, 4x2 have almost no chance unless you had it build that way.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Burnout. If smoke comes out of both rear wheels in 2WD you have LSD. Just kidding, your weak truck cant do a burnout, LOL!
I would think the VIN should indicate this option if only we had a VIN decipher?
4x4s have good chance of having LSD, 4x2 have almost no chance unless you had it build that way.
the VIN DEcipher is posted on this forum elsewhere. Cannot remember where but good luck with the search.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Eaton Trutrac is the way to go unless you want a locker (Air/Electric) lockers have there down side 1 is they don't share the distribution

No clutches in the Trutrac++++
So this works very close like a torsen. Very clever and simple design. I have one that I have to install in the liberty crd once I find some time and determination to do it. Too bad they don't have it for ram...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts