RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have time to sift and sort through hundreds of threads looking for trends and common gripes/ failures.

I had a '15 ED 4x4 I loved, but got rear ended and didn't trust anything after that, and traded it in on a Grand Cherokee for the wife. I had a company truck so I just dealt with my hunting/ fishing buggy for everything else. Work situation is about to change and I need to get into a daily driver that gets decent mileage but will still pull my 8500 pound camper.

If (and that's a big IF in today's market) I can find the one I want semi-locally, what are the common failures on these now?

Thanks,
Barrett

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,501 Posts
Common failures haven't changed on the older models. FCA revised the engine in 2020 and that seems to be having less issues.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
@MAS has a very valid point on the current fuel pricing. I'd say put it on paper as a factor based on your estimated mileage and let the numbers help guide your decision. It's a rough time to buy any truck new or used right now, but you have no control over an accident I wouldn't hesitate on a gen 3 they have a solid record.

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,318 Posts
I’d say define need and want. At current prices a turbo gas will provide better power at an equal or by my math lower cost…. Pending how fuel prices go.

·
Registered
2019 RAM 1500 Classic Tradesman 4X2 EcoDiesel
531 Posts
Think the gen 3’s are good to go but if the current discrepancy in diesel and regular unleaded gas persists you will be loosing money on fuel.
It depends on the future price differential, of course, but also on the MPG differential. AND, the price differential varies by region. Based on responses I got here, it seems that towing a medium sized TT would give about 15 MPG with the ED and 10 with a gasser. As of today, the ED would save $432 on a 6900 mile cross-country round trip based on GasBuddy looking for the best prices. DEF and more expensive maintenance might eat up most of that, but the towing would be more pleasant and you would need only 2/3 as many fuel stops (25 vs 41). It wouldn't cut down on potty stops, of course. I'm not sure of the gasser's non-towing MPG, but if the ED is 50% higher, the proportions would be the same. You'd just have to drive nearly twice as many miles to save the same amount.

The price differential is smaller in Canada. For a 6700 mile roundtrip to Alaska, the ED would use $970 less in fuel.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,470 Posts
If (and that's a big IF in today's market) I can find the one I want semi-locally, what are the common failures on these now?

Thanks,
Barrett
"Common failures"...None.

Obviously anything made can fail but the new eco diesel engines - 2020- present - are quite different than the original engines like you had. Maybe make the time to at least check out the changes.

Others are going on about fuel costs, which is a major issue for all of us. Only thing is for towing 8K lbs or more you really do have a use for a diesel. Any gasser able to tow that much will "drink" lots of gas in normal operation and while towing, it will be really "thirsty". Bet that more than mitigates the fuel cost differences and you get the towing ability of a diesel.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Trip distance of 500 miles

My ED is averaging 25 mpg right now at $6.50 a gallon for diesel, 500 miles would cost $130 and use 20 gallons of fuel.

A gas truck that is averaging 19 mpg right now at $4.39 a gallon for regular unleaded, 500 miles would cost $115.53 and use 26.3 gallons of gas.

As you can see not much difference, even though diesel prices are high, the ED is very fuel efficient even still.

These prices are based on my local prices right now and my fuel mileage so it's all legit. I have 3.92 as well so if you had 3.21 you'd probably be doing a little better, with a tune even a little better than that..

·
Registered
2019 RAM 1500 Classic Tradesman 4X2 EcoDiesel
531 Posts
Trip distance of 500 miles

My ED is averaging 25 mpg right now at $6.50 a gallon for diesel, 500 miles would cost $130 and use 20 gallons of fuel.

A gas truck that is averaging 19 mpg right now at $4.39 a gallon for regular unleaded, 500 miles would cost $115.53 and use 26.3 gallons of gas.

As you can see not much difference, even though diesel prices are high, the ED is very fuel efficient even still.

These prices are based on my local prices right now and my fuel mileage so it's all legit. I have 3.92 as well so if you had 3.21 you'd probably be doing a little better, with a tune even a little better than that..
That's a really atrocious differential! For a cross-country 16-state trip, GasBuddy shows an average of $4.,40 for gas--one penny more than yours--but "only" $5.60 for diesel, $0.90 less than yours. You are really getting the worst of the diesel situation. Which state? At the $5.60, your diesel would have cost $112, so some savings over gas--plus the joy of an ED! It seems likely that the price differential will come down eventually. Towing, I'm led to believe the ED will do about 50% better MPG than the generic gasser, saving $430 on that cross-country trip (before DEF and oil).

·
Registered
906 Posts
That's a really atrocious differential! For a cross-country 16-state trip, GasBuddy shows an average of $4.,40 for gas--one penny more than yours--but "only" $5.60 for diesel, $0.90 less than yours. You are really getting the worst of the diesel situation. Which state? At the $5.60, your diesel would have cost $112, so some savings over gas--plus the joy of an ED! It seems likely that the price differential will come down eventually. Towing, I'm led to believe the ED will do about 50% better MPG than the generic gasser, saving $430 on that cross-country trip (before DEF and oil).
Maine

·
Super Moderator
3,993 Posts
The only places that I’ve seen with super high diesel prices like that are Cali & PA. The only state I haven’t driven in is Maine. Slow Rollers example using gas Buddy is spot on to my experience.

·
Registered
520 Posts
The most common failures on Gen 3 seem to be the oil leaks, particularly the timing cover leak.

I've seen a handful of blown engines, blown fuel injection pumps, sensor failures, exhaust brackets breaking near the DPF, DEF pump failures, etc. But the timing cover oil leak is the only issue I'd call common.

With diesel at $1.10/gallon more, DEF having doubled in price, oil becoming almost impossible to find, filters on backorder, etc. I really don't know why a guy would purposefully buy a diesel truck right now. I towed extensively and I saw 10 MPG with 8k behind me and 14 MPG with 3k behind me...those are gas truck numbers. There are a lot of guys with the same experience.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am having the same thoughts.. I moved into a 2500 because my 15 ED was getting up there with 213K and I needed more towing. Actually my 15 ED was only rated for 7500# and that's one of the reasons I traded. If you look at the tow ratings on the Ram website you will see that its not one size fits all and the tow ratings are all over the map. I would definitely look for one with the 3.93 gearing if you are going to tow that heavy... I bought the 2500 to tow a boat that size and I am having second thoughts about the boat because I am already getting killed by the fuel costs....

·
Super Moderator
3,993 Posts
Bearintex, Timing cover leak seems to be the only common issue and is covered under warranty. At 15k my sons 2022 ED hasn't leaked. On new trucks you can get 3.21, 3.55 & 3.92 gear sets. The 3.21 gets killer highway mileage and can tow your TT when needed. The 3.92 will likely lose 2 mpg hwy but will accelerate your TT more easily. Below shows a gasser combined city & highway mileage at 15 mpg and an Ecodiesel at 26 mpg. Towing your TT you are likely looking at 8 to 10 mpg with the gasser and 14 to 15 mpg with the ED both towing at 65 mph. Currently there is a $1.00 a gallon difference between gas & diesel so that eliminates some of that fuel savings. To me unless you tow a lot the difference is more about what you prefer to drive as opposed to strictly the fuel savings costs.

Reactions: Captainmal

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,501 Posts
I agree with Vern that it's more of preference of diesel over gas if you're not towing. In the carolinas, the spread is over $1.00/gallon. Really stupid pricing on diesel.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I just want to add that he specifically said 8,500 lb. camper. An EcoDiesel is NOT going to see 14-15 MPG towing an 8,500 lb. high profile camper unless he's in Kansas or he's driving downhill.

As far as the 2500 argument goes, a lot of guys don't realize that a 2500 Cummins has a payload rating in the 1,900 to 2,100 lb. range depending on options. If you carry people and gear onboard the truck, that doesn't leave you much room for trailer towing capacity. It's barely any higher than the 1500 EcoDiesel.

I think an EcoDiesel would work for the OP's uses, but it's not going to save him any money and he seemed to be looking for something that would be economical. Sadly we are to the point now where a truck like the F-150 EcoBoost is the most economical way to go. Same real world MPG as the EcoDiesel, similar torque, no DEF, and none of the finicky issues. I'm just so partial to Stellantis brands though.... ugh....

·
Premium Member
3,214 Posts
I just want to add that he specifically said 8,500 lb. camper. An EcoDiesel is NOT going to see 14-15 MPG towing an 8,500 lb. high profile camper unless he's in Kansas or he's driving downhill.
I get 14 - 15 mpg towing my camper. It's about 7,300 lbs loaded, 8'6" wide, and 23' feet long. I do a lot of towing through NM, AZ, CA, NV, UT, and CO.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts