RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2020 Rebel ED and I got the first CEL on my drive home.. missing a vacuum hose. The second light came on a day later and a wire came disconnected from a wiring harness. So, I bought a OBD2 reader. Third light came on today and it's showing P225D. I was running the truck pretty close to empty (65 kms until empty). Could this code been thrown because of the fuel level?

Also, at what point do I start voicing my concerns about this truck to the dealership? This is becoming ridiculous.

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
525 Posts
In my opinion, this is hardly ridiculous. I understand it can be frustrating, but you purchased a new car with a new generation of an engine that came out only a few months ago. There will be some issues and there is absolutely no way for everything to be accounted for before the vehicle sales. If the Dealer isn't resolving the issues for you, than I would complain. But this is exactly why a warranty exists. It may be frustrating, but this is not an isolated experience. As long as the dealer is fixing things and honoring the warranty, the kinks will get worked out.

As far as the P225D code goes, that could be a few things. Loose hose/air leak, it could be an issue with the emissions equipment (EGR/DPF/SCR Malfunction). I found the following that could be the cause:
  • CHARGE AIR COOLER RESTRICTED
  • EXHAUST SYSTEM LEAK
  • INTAKE SYSTEM LEAK
  • EGR VALVE LEAK
  • NOX 1/1 SENSOR
  • POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE
I would take it to the dealer and have them fix it. Again, this is why a warranty exists. If you don't want to take it to a dealer, you could run some HotShots Secret Diesel Extreme and see if that fixes it, but if its a leak it won't do anything.

Reactions: MR. TED

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I may have been a bit dramatical using the word "ridiculous" but my frustration is growing. I live over an hour from a dealership and have had to miss work multiple times due to this truck. I understand that this is a new engine and this is what the warranty is for. I also understand that, so far, my issues have been quite minor. But, I am slowly reaching a point where I am wondering about the reliability and longevity of this vehicle. I can't keep missing work, you know?

I appreciate the time you spent looking up the code. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,764 Posts
Here a thread on the same code but on the Gen2 engine:
It does suck having problems but like stated that's what the warranty is for. There have been a couple of members with trucks that gave them a few problems initially but have put 10s of thousands of trouble free miles on since repairs were made.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I wouldn't give up on it yet. I'm sure there are some kinks that will have to be worked out with the new generation. I tend to not buy the first year of a new truck/car etc... for this reason. i know they will have issues.

You have the new engine... it should be pretty stout as they have learned a lot. Wire disconnected and vacuum hose missing...thats just BS assembly issues. give it some time and let them square it away. Then make the decision.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I may be in the minority here, but I'm with you OP in the belief that multiple CELs, and one on the drive home, is ridiculous. Sure, we all have a warranty, but no one purchases anything, let alone a truck that's tens of thousands of dollars, with the expectation that the purchase is going to lead to multiple trips to the dealer. That's why there are federal and state laws protecting consumers (i.e. Lemon Laws).

·
Registered
96 Posts
I bought a 2020 Rebel ED and I got the first CEL on my drive home.. missing a vacuum hose. The second light came on a day later and a wire came disconnected from a wiring harness. So, I bought a OBD2 reader. Third light came on today and it's showing P225D. I was running the truck pretty close to empty (65 kms until empty). Could this code been thrown because of the fuel level?

Also, at what point do I start voicing my concerns about this truck to the dealership? This is becoming ridiculous.

I would start flipping a gasket. Its brand new! Who tests this stuff before selling to the public?

I've been looking at the ED since day one, held off, held off, mostly due to the regen and other emissions problems. Then totaled the car I was driving right as the Diesel Gate emissions problems started. I walked away from the ED to give RAM time to get the bugs worked out. I bought a F150 with the V6 Ecoboost on a three year lease so hopefully all this would blow over, get fixed and I'd be able to go get a new ED truck. Well this tells me there are still issues. My 2018 F150 EcoBoost has had a few hickups but never landed me on the side of the road or in the dealership in 3 years. I get an odd throttle response if I manually shift the truck while I'm driving and there is no throttle response, or maybe the GPS system goes black, both recover on their own. Sadly, I suggested to my daughter and her husband to look at the Ram last summer, they bought one, at less than 1,000 miles the front wheels fell off while my daughter was going to the store. The front suspension, lower and upper suspension arms had separated!!!!!! The dealer gave her a brand new truck, no questions.

I'm disappointed that I'm not three months out from my lease expiration and was hoping to come and get me a 3rd Gen ED. But these kids of discussions tell me there's still plenty of quality control issues WHICH SHOULD NEVER BEEN ALLOW OFF THE ASSEMBLY FLOOR!

Tell me I'm wrong?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, I'm only one person, but I'm 13k+ in on my 2020 Laramie and it's been flawless. Must people only search the truck forums if they have a problem...

Can't say enough great things about mine, best truck I've ever owned.

Reactions: Roby and Jkcamino

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,764 Posts
Well, I'm only one person, but I'm 13k+ in on my 2020 Laramie and it's been flawless. Must people only search the truck forums if they have a problem...

Can't say enough great things about mine, best truck I've ever owned.
^^^ this
Most people search out forums to find answers for problems, to complain about a problem, or answers on modifications.
I've ask a bunch of EcoDiesel owner's that I've ran into over the years none of which were on any forums or had any complaints about their truck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts