RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Stopped by the dealership and picked up the papers from the order done over the phone this morning. If it's clear enough you can see the VON #. Now it's time to wait.

No clue what the second column of figures means. My actual billing is on another sheet. That's not complete as we have a "deal" for the pricing and other dealer issues that will be finalized on delivery.

·
Registered
274 Posts
FWP is Factory Wholesale Price. The dealers true cost is about 3% below that number. So your dealer paid about $35,820 for the truck.

FFP is family friends price and EP is employee pricing.

·
Registered
396 Posts
One big think the jeep guys where making sure is that the DEF tank was full when they picked up there vehicle.

·
Registered
13,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Think the default was 3:55 and was what I wanted. I asked the sales manager to check and that's what he alluded to.

I tow a lot so the 3:21 was not wanted. The 3:91 would run like my current 3:73 in the Cummins. I can tow but on the interstate it's running almost 300 rpm's more than a friend's Cummins with 3:55's. He gets better high-speed mileage than me while his engine sits more comfortably in a lower rpm range.

You can tow a whole lot with 3:55's. Then there's the issue of the transmission ratios and that's another issue.

·
Registered
366 Posts

Stopped by the dealership and picked up the papers from the order done over the phone this morning. If it's clear enough you can see the VON #. Now it's time to wait.

No clue what the second column of figures means. My actual billing is on another sheet. That's not complete as we have a "deal" for the pricing and other dealer issues that will be finalized on delivery.
Congrats. You made the right call. I almost got a near identical truck, but the Outdoorsman has almost no chrome(and I hate chrome).

Your cummins doesn't have 8 speeds, MotorTrend did the real-world mileage and a 4x2 with 3.55 gets the 28 MPG and a fully-loaded 3.92 Laramie Longhorn(with Rambox and Air Suspension) gets the 26 MPG. Therefore, with your truck being lighter than the tester, you're looking at 26-27 mpg with the 3.92. Comparing it to your cummins with a 6-speed, heavier chassis+rolling gear, and engine management that does not adapt(the Ecodiesel adjusts to driving demands) is unrealistic. We're talking a total difference of 2 mpg between the top of the scale and the bottom with respects to mileage. If you tow that much, maybe the 3.92 wouldn't hurt?

·
Registered
13,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate the comments. I thought about an Outdoorsman and was really only interested in that model when I thought of getting a V6 Pentastar. Test rode two of them. Too fancy for me. Only thing I liked was the heavier rear springs. On mine I will build in helper springs for handling tongue weight.

What turned me off was the trim. Too fancy for me. That consul stuck in the middle hit my elbow and limited "room" on the front seat. I later found out you can get a bench seat but then there's that bigger TV screen in the dash. I want none but will end up with a 3" one for that back-up camera. Also did not want those aggressive, snow tires. Would have taken them off from new because this Florida and southern road heat will eat them up. I do a fair amount of muddy road and trail riding where I hunt in Georgia but normal tires have not gotten me stuck yet. Same with "two-track" out West when we go prairie dog hunting.

I have one regret and it's the rug on the floor. Could have had a free delete and gotten just a rubber floor cover. That's great for my muddy hunting boots and you can just wash out the truck floor. My wife wanted the carpet and I messed up and mentioned it. She also "forced" me to get that prairie color instead of my standard white.

Such is the plight of a married man.

·
Registered
25 Posts
From Egodiesel
"Congrats. You made the right call. I almost got a near identical truck, but the Outdoorsman has almost no chrome(and I hate chrome"

So, I hate chrome too. And like Captainmal, the Outdoorsman is too fancy for me. So it looks to me like I am stuck with black bumpers and black grill in the Tradesman.

On the build site the Exterior Appearance Group lists chrome bumper, chrome grill.

This is confusing to me because Tradesmen/Exrpess is listed as one model in most RAM data sheets. (like Captainmal's sales sheet.) But the Express models all have matching painted bumers and no chrome...

Anyone know what gives?

·
Registered
366 Posts
The Express is essentially an option group that gets tacked onto the Tradesman model because that's what it basically starts with. There isn't an Ecodiesel engine option with also an Express package.

Tradesman has no chrome but lacks Fog Lights, AutoStart/Alarm(from factory), and you can't get a console for any reason.
Sport has the least chrome but no Ecodiesel option and it costs more for the equipment than almost any other trip level.
Outdoorsman has chrome door handles but access to almost every option in the catalog. Plus it comes with all the major "functional" equipment a truck would need if you get 4x4. I can replace the door handles with black ones or white ones for less money than someone can change to chrome lol

·
Registered
13,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All those models are confusing. What is happening is people start thinking there's some kind of status to be gained by having some fancy model name.

You can't and shouldn't buy anything to impress others. And if you think you are, what do you get out of it?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
All those models are confusing. What is happening is people start thinking there's some kind of status to be gained by having some fancy model name.

You can't and shouldn't buy anything to impress others. And if you think you are, what do you get out of it?
People get a very distorted view of what is important in life, that's what. Modern consumerism at its worse. Ram's marketing and that of most automotive companies is made up of fake values and posturing. It's just a truck and if it gets us to where we want to go safely and comfortably then that is all that matters.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The Express is essentially an option group that gets tacked onto the Tradesman model because that's what it basically starts with. There isn't an Ecodiesel engine option with also an Express package.

Tradesman has no chrome but lacks Fog Lights, AutoStart/Alarm(from factory), and you can't get a console for any reason.
Sport has the least chrome but no Ecodiesel option and it costs more for the equipment than almost any other trip level.
Outdoorsman has chrome door handles but access to almost every option in the catalog. Plus it comes with all the major "functional" equipment a truck would need if you get 4x4. I can replace the door handles with black ones or white ones for less money than someone can change to chrome lol
I have to say that I have never even seen a Outdoorsman. Not a popular trim level around here. I don't know why. I would expect just the opposite. In any case, in the US the Outdoorsman comes with black door handles as standard equipment according the 1500 specifications.

I suppose that is another difference in the US models and the Canadian models.

Attached is screen grab from the ramtrucks.com in the build and price section.

outdoorsman-qc.jpg

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have to say that I have never even seen a Outdoorsman. Not a popular trim level around here. I don't know why. I would expect just the opposite. In any case, in the US the Outdoorsman comes with black door handles as standard equipment according the 1500 specifications.

I suppose that is another difference in the US models and the Canadian models.

Attached is screen grab from the ramtrucks.com in the build and price section.

View attachment 84
On the Canadian, the door handles are chrome(yuck). I'm 100% certain, because i objected to it lol. That's the #1 spot it would wear off of first. The picture in my profile is the exact truck I ordered except it's a Hemi and I ordered diesel. the mirrors look basic black in the picture.

There's a ton of Outdoorsman trucks around here, and the first thing most people do is have the Outdoorsman vinyl removed. It causes portals of entry for metal contamination from the salt/sand/dust that collects around the sticker. Dodges aren't known for their rust resistance so plan ahead.

I also notice it's not on either of the picture you posted or the one in my profile...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts