RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you have to order 3.92's and wait or did you find one on truck at a dealer that was equipped with them already?

I have yet to see 3.92 on the lot of a local dealer in my area (NorCal). Just curious.

·
Registered
2014 Lonestar EcoDiesel 4X4
1,881 Posts
I could not find a truck on the lot with 3.92 gears, so I ordered.

·
Registered
346 Posts
3.92s, I believe, are standard on the Outdoorsman, with the 3.55 as the option (at least when I ordered). Mine came with 3.92, but every other ED I saw on the lots had 3.55s.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Dumb question. What difference does it make which gears? The 3D has 8 right?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I ordered with 3.92 looking for the higher tow rating and hopefully better performance when towing. I have Laramie trim. There is a 2 wheel drive clone of my 4x4 truck at Jacky Jones Dodge dealership in Hayesville, NC. They ordered 2 wheel drive by mistake and couldn't cancel when I notified them of their mistake. It's very well equipped , but not being 4x4 is going to be a hard sell in our area.

·
Registered
2014 Lonestar EcoDiesel 4X4
1,881 Posts
Dumb question. What difference does it make which gears? The 3D has 8 right?
We are talking about the rear end (final drive) gear ratio. Towing capacity is increased by 1,000lbs with 3.92 gear ratio rear end.
The final drive ratio is also affected by tire diameter. 3.92 gears with the P275/60/20" (33" dia.) tires gives you almost the same gearing as the 3.55 gears with LT245/70/17" (30.9"dia) tires.
The ZF 8 speed xmsn does make it much easer to be in the correct RPM range.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I ordered it in order to get the 3.92 rear end.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I like to lurk around these 3.92 threads as I am still trying to decide if I want a 3.92 vs. 3.55. My test drive of an ED felt decent performance wise with the 3.55 but I keep wondering if the 3.92 would put it over the top for me. of course 2 mpg loss over the life of the truck is significant too. Anyone have regrets they should have got one or the other?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
read one of the other posts i provided - the difference in real world MPG is negligible. comes down to where is the majority of your driving? in town/city? 3.92s are the way to go... towing lots and lots and lots? 3.92 way to go... you cruising across country a lot? 3.55s way to go.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Found mine on the lot with everything we wanted on the truck. Laramie Limited, 4WD, 4 Point air ride, 3.92 rear end and lots of other stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts