RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a message in the EVIC that read " battery low start vehicle to adjust air ride height or adjust air settings." Anyone else with the air ride seen this?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Yupper, I figured it was because my truck has been basically sitting since I got it with a couple trips. I figured it needed a good run.

Mine just says low battery though, nothing about suspension.... yet

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
There has been some conversation around trucks having batteries drained, and apparently it's something to do with the air suspension.

Keep in mind that these vehciles today are really designed for around 14 volts. 12 volts is nominal and some *might* trigger warnings below 12 volts So even the system seeing 11.7 might trigger a warning, yet it's easily enough to start the engine and the battery will just charge up again while driving.

I suspect (no proof) that if it is the air suspension, it might be due to the system running to complete a level "task" after the engine is shut down and the alternator ceases to supply current.

Could also be an issue - like a component that won't stop drawing juice for some reason... *shrugs*

But I do recall some conversations on the Z about this.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have only got the message about four times and every time the truck has only sat overnight. It's not like the darn thing sat for two or three days or more.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Had a message in the EVIC that read " battery low start vehicle to adjust air ride height or adjust air settings." Anyone else with the air ride seen this?
Yep, both times Rhonda (our name for the truck) has sat for 48 hours she gave the message about low battery and the need to start the engine to raise the suspension from the park mode. She has been on a couple of long trips so her battery should be fully charged. The battery meter showed 14v during the trips.

The low battery message is one thing I will mention to the dealer when I bring Rhonda in for the first time. It is possible the battery needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Hmmm good thread! Be a good idea to test your battery, maybe they got a bad batch or something?

Or just brainstorming here maybe you have a small leak and your system is taking in air periodically to compensate, hence drawing current off the battery

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Hmmm good thread! Be a good idea to test your battery, maybe they got a bad batch or something?

Or just brainstorming here maybe you have a small leak and your system is taking in air periodically to compensate, hence drawing current off the battery
The air suspension does not use air, it's a closed nitrogen system. In any case it should not be doing anything when the truck is turned off.

·
Registered
168 Posts
When my truck is off it is always leveling itself. my dogs and I are getting in and out of the bed of the truck all day. When I unload it, the truck will lower on its own and when I load it, the truck will raise on its own. The key is not in the ignition and the truck is off. I have noticed that if I put the truck into park mode before I get out the air suspension does not adjust itself until I start the truck.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Can you leave it in park mode or do you need to set it every time you park?
Has anyone found a way to hake the air suspension speed settings for off-road mode? When off road there are some good sections where you can go faster than 25 mph

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
If my truck is running or not it levels, I put stuff in the back and I can hear the truck level it's self, while not running.

And yes it is a closed system but if the system has a leak it will take in outside air to maintain function.

Reactions: UHBrandt

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
How do you put it in park mode? Aside from the obvious

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
When my truck is off it is always leveling itself. my dogs and I are getting in and out of the bed of the truck all day. When I unload it, the truck will lower on its own and when I load it, the truck will raise on its own. The key is not in the ignition and the truck is off. I have noticed that if I put the truck into park mode before I get out the air suspension does not adjust itself until I start the truck.
My understanding is that the air suspension does not operate with the engine off unless the key fob is used to activate it. That makes sense for safety reasons as well as battery life. I have not noticed it ever leveling with the engine off including when I open doors or load/unload stuff in the bed. I have read user reports of the air suspension operating with the engine off which sounds like a malfunction.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Can you leave it in park mode or do you need to set it every time you park?
Has anyone found a way to hake the air suspension speed settings for off-road mode? When off road there are some good sections where you can go faster than 25 mph
Sorry, you cannot override the system settings without program tinkering by a very knowledgeable engineer. The stock air suspension is not designed for high speeds at its limits (off-road or park modes) because of adverse effects on ride, handling and suspension wear.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I guess I got a messed up truck then I just went outside and threw 2 big bags of woodchips in the back and could hear the pump come on.....

And yes it is designed to pull outside air to maintain integrity, that's the problem a few guys are having in the winter with freezing because thier systems have pulled in outside air

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Bigfoot I'm pretty sure it IS designed to level whether running or not, I called 2 buddies one has a 2014 eco outdoorsman and one has a 2013 hemi (both with air) and thiers does it as well so......

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Wholly! Lol I know that!if the nitrogen leaks the system WILL pull in outside air.... lol its true videos or not that's the fail safe designed into the system

1 - 20 of 26 Posts