RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 Eco has 63K miles and has been a great riding, driving, and great MPG truck. If you look at some of my other post you'll note that I have been plagued with truck throwing CEL and Service Electronic Throttle a few dozen times since 32K miles. The dealership and RAM have been very professional and worked with a sense of urgency to get me back on the road or have given me a rental loaner. All work done has been under warranty and only cost to me has been them dumping a full tank of fuel when they changed injectors and lost time with truck. So far they have replaced the turbo, all six injectors, MAP sensor, air intake pipe and cleaned fuel system and cleaned EGR (twice). They have ordered another MAP sensor as RAM (Star) wants it replaced again. Thought it was fixed as it did not occur for last half year but it came back. Anyone know of any other fixes for Turbo overboost/Turbo underboost ?

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
The answer is probably, "No".

You sure have had a myriad of issues and maybe more parts replacement than anyone. Unless they missed something simple like a fuel or injector pump intermittent issue, no clue.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Codes are p026c and p0299 this time. Interesting thing is truck has broken down most times within a few days of them doing service, especially fuel filter changes. I have had that replace every 15K miles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Codes are p026c and p0299 this time. Interesting thing is truck has broken down most times within a few days of them doing service, especially fuel filter changes. I have had that replace every 15K miles.
When I got the turbo codes, I also got one for a fuel injector. I put Hot Shot Secret Diesel Extreme in the tank to clean fuel system and injectors. I have not had any codes for 20k (over a year ago). Give it a try. $15 a quart is enough for 8 fill-ups. Nothing to lose with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
anyone check the body harness for loose fit or connectors full of water?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The ECO has been with the codes and limp mode since 7/11/17. I kept it in driveway while they ordered intake hose. It has been in the dealership garage for three weeks now. They Replaced air intake tube and second time replacing MAP sensor, both were waiting on back order. Codes did not reset on replacing tube and MAP. They did some electrical testing with no issues found. They are replacing the 6 injectors again once they come in from back order. This is beyond frustrating!

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
Guessing you have a working EGR system without GDE. If you do not understand that,you do.

With the dealer so involved there is not much you can do. Maybe as to check EGR valve and clean out soot.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My brother had a harness problem. They were about to start replacing stuff. They disconnected it and replugged it in and all the codes were gone. It has been fine since.

·
Super Moderator
3,409 Posts
That is frustrating because you know it probably actually is something simple. It appears they have no idea they're just taking stabs in the dark. But if the right guy figures it out it could be problem free for a long time.

wiTech is the ideal & OEM diagnostic tool. Most regular shops only have a more general diagnostic tool such one of the Snap on units. The problem seems to be that some of the better diesel shops / mechanics don't have wiTech and Ram dealerships often don't have the best diesel mechanics. So when you have an issue that requires both an experienced top notch diesel mechanic & the best diagnostic tools well they are few & far between. You end up with parts swappers who Are hoping to replace the right part that magically fixes the problem. And Ram doesn't like this anymore than you do as most of its on their dime.

One thing that has helped me to mitigate a problem like this until the root is found and fixed is having an inexpensive simple code reader / clearer. At least you can avoid an unnecessary untimely tow. You can avoid the truck being in their bay unnecessarily and generally deal with things more in your available time.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My brother had a harness problem. They were about to start replacing stuff. They disconnected it and replugged it in and all the codes were gone. It has been fine since.
I second this. I had repetetive problems until the dealer discovered a loose connection from the "under side" of the fuse box. No problems since. I was getting fuel, throttle, and other random messages, plus the dash lights would occasionally flicker.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wish it was an electrical issue but Mechanics and FCA Star rep spent a few days working electrical testing to find all OK. The Air intake pipe, Map sensor(2nd time) and all 6 injectors(2nd time) were replaced this visit but Truck still down at dealership. Engineer from FCA stopped in to look at truck and wants EGR valve and EGR cooler replaced. Back ordered but on Emergency status so I should get one of first available. Dealership has ensured I have a rental car and RAM 2500 truck when towing for vacation. I am hoping this EGR valve will finally fix this truck. Was very thankful FCA sent engineer. Really miss my ECO as I am only getting half the MPG's with the rentals. Has anyone else seen an EGR valve and cooler cause a P0299, P026c?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got my truck back 9/18/17 after Service Electronic Throttle and CEL on 7/08/17. The EGR cooler and EGR were the last parts changed and codes P0299 and P026C finally were resolved. I put 150 miles on it so far no CEL's. 64K miles on truck to date.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts