RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Thoughts on resale with the end of production

8K views 44 replies 20 participants last post by  Another 
#1 ·
With the demise of the EcoDiesel next month, I was curious regarding the effects on resale of an out of production power train.
On one hand, I would say that there may not be a positive or negative effect.
On the other hand, values may be a little stronger understanding that the ED is probably the best engine offered in the Ram truck.
Then there is possibility that values could take a hit knowing that parts support will dwindle fast once the last engines are produced.
Thoughts?

#2 ·
I plan on keeping mine, hoping supply on parts is better in the future than it has been in the past, if not will probably look at options for other powerplants up to and including Gas powered swap:cry:, would prefer diesel and an OM0606 Mercedes diesel swap:oops::unsure:, two obstacles I'd have to get past would be transmission adaption and availability, and keeping my "creature comforts" and electronics (gauges) working, I think seeing the "down the road look" I would not purchase another one, No idea on value, one of the big reasons would be the limited options on rebuilding a damaged or worn out engine

#42 ·
Cult following doesn't translate to value or parts availability. I had two of the Jeep KJ's with the VM diesels, one stock and one GDE tuned. They were cool for their era, but today you can buy them all day long for $4k because nobody wants the hassle of keeping them on the road. Even 12 years ago when I had to spend $500 on a busted CAC hose, $110 on a thermostat, $1,000 on a timing belt replacement, etc. it was hard to justify keeping it. Today? No way....

Panic in the Air.................

When Hummer was going out of GMs lineup loads of people Panicked including me. I sold it within 3 months. Regretted it as it met my needs at the time.
The Eco Diesel has been a really nice tow vehicle with plenty of Torque for Mtn driving.
Ram will have parts for up to 10 years and there not going anywhere from what I can tell.
My 2 cents are sell it if it no longer works for U otherwise drive it and enjoy and don't read to much of the nonsense on my these Forums.
Parts for 10 years? Dude, they don't have parts NOW. Ten years from now if somebody walks into a Ram dealership and asks for engine parts for an EcoDiesel the guy at the counter will look at you like you've got three eyes. I guarantee it. VM might not even exist in a couple of years from today.

#5 ·
By the looks of the VM Motori website in Italy it seems all 3.0 applications will be gone soon enough, as Europe is just as adamant as California at least to destroy all diesel applications, even marine and industrial, but those are the ones that VM Motori still "advertises" on their website.

It seems Ram may unveil a hybrid truck based on a small diesel application this next year. Let's see if that holds, as far as this application, a pure powerful 3.0 Diesel

Say goodbye, the government(*s) wants to have them off the road ASAP, so expect all costs to go through the roof.

In California we pay $6 a gallon in some locations even now, and that doesn't count remote locations where fuel can cost $7-9 a gallon. The cheapest you can find diesel in our state is about $5/gallon.

It is hybrid from here on out, as electric is terrible at towing. But yes re-sale should hold up fine I think. But all your maintenance, and parts costs, OUCH, welcome to a new era.

#8 ·
One tell-tale could be the resale of past obsolete vehicles. Much of that does depend on the whims of society. The "old" Smart Car value went to poop as people and fuel costs/supply, and taste changed. Another issue is the value of all smaller diesels. With the price of diesel around here from $1.50 to $2.00 MORE than gasoline, I sure wish I could get a 1500 in the new Hurricane GAS engine.

If you are not towing for long distances as a business or heavy towing, especially with a business write-off, the importance and value of any diesel is sure compromised today.

Reactions: Hammer
#10 ·
One tell-tale could be the resale of past obsolete vehicles. Much of that does depend on the whims of society. The "old" Smart Car value went to poop as people and fuel costs/supply, and taste changed. Another issue is the value of all smaller diesels. With the price of diesel around here from $1.50 to $2.00 MORE than gasoline, I sure wish I could get a 1500 in the new Hurricane GAS engine.

If you are not towing for long distances as a business or heavy towing, especially with a business write-off, the importance and value of any diesel is sure compromised today.
The Smart Car was never a very smart choice, except for parking. They got about 3/4 the MPG of my way more comfy/roomy Accord.

For diesel, it does come down to where the price differential will average over the life of the vehicle. Right now, it would cost about 3/4 cent more per mile to drive RT Seattle to Miami towing based on an estimate of 15 MPG ED vs 10 MPG Hemi. If the differential, goes anywhere back towards the longer-term average, you'll save fuel money with the diesel--and versa vice! Maintenance is higher with the diesel, but so is towing performance and the convenience of fewer fuel stops. A lot of people bought gas guzzlers based on cheap gas and a lot of them still drive like gas is cheap. We can't know for sure either way about the future. Unless you're buying now, you're probably going to stick with what you have. The first one is gas, the second diesel.

Rectangle Font Parallel Brand Electric blue
Map World Rectangle Parallel Font

#9 · (Edited)
I expect ED price 1500s to stay steady if anything a slight rise. Supply & demand. The Ecodiesel still isn't dead its only taken out of the 1500 per Ram's grand bean counter plan for the 1500.
Agreed Captain their is an artificial spread between the two fuels. Just looked saw 4.29 for diesel in north florida by I-75. Same station 2.85 for regular or 1.44 spread. If you are not towing a TT making up that difference is difficult. My son running lead on a supersize load runs averages 33 mpg. If he is running chase 37.5 mpg average. Thats with his 22 ED 3.21s & GDE tune. Not sure what he would get with a Pentastar but with the price difference he still might come out about the same with gas.

Not sure why Florida is always high on diesel. Last fuel stop on the way home was 3.59 a gallon through Mudflap in Nashville.

#11 · (Edited)
Would want to live in Mudflap, Tenessee but for the severe winters and reduced recreational opportunities compared to Florida. No clue why here in Florida the price of diesel is so high compared to gasoline. That does not matter though as I have to pay for the diesel to drive.

As for the near $2,000 cost of fuel to drive across the country, that's one significant reason why I do not go like that any more. Used to drive to Wyoming pulling the toy hauler. Fun times there shooting and then riding around on motorcycle for a month. The cost is stupid today. May as well fly to Italy, rent a motorcycle and ride around the mountains there. Can't shoot prairie dogs there but sure get a different experience for near the same costs.

Today my normal riding is around Florida, into Georgia a few times each year and to North Carolina (Maggie Valley), once a year. Toy hauler only goes out now twice a year. All other tows are on a boat or utility trailer. Diesel costs make having one very expensive.

The Ecodiesel was a good fit for towing and running around. The unreliability was a major negative. The Cummins is a standard. Diesel costs and emissions equipment reduce that desirability. If you are not in the business of moving things or wealthy enough to not care of the costs, the diesel is sure nice. It would be nice if diesel were less than gasoline as it always was back in the 1980's through say 2020. Today - forget it. For many it is time to move on.

***Took a second look at the trip for diesel done above. The towing mileage of the diesel is 15.7 mpg. Fine except my Ecodiesel would and never did tow my toy hauler any better than say 14 mpg. The Cummins today is about 13-13.5 mpg. Put the mpg in the middle at say 13.5 mpg and that's 488 gallon of diesel. If you could get diesel for $4.50 a gallon average on the trip you are in the $2,200 range just for the fuel.
Pfffffft on that.

Now if I could get 10 mpg towing with say the new Hurricane gas engine at say $3 a gallon, you look at around $1,900 for the gas. Cheaper because of the hideous premium you have to pay for diesel today in the places I normally go. Still I say Pfffffft on that also.

#12 · (Edited)
Not thinking resale at this point of time, that said I have a second beater car which I use for getting around, fuel savings from driving a beater pays for the insurance on the truck. Also saves unnecessary miles/wear and tear on the eco when I don't need to do the "truck things"... In other words extend the life of the truck. The golf does 45mgs US even in winter months and has most of the comfort features of my Laramie. I restored the car from scrap basically she's as good as new at 400k with little to no rust and burns diesel is the most important feature for me. 😉

Attachments

#17 ·
I personally don't think the 'EcoDiesel' will suffer in resale value, but it will drop in a similar manner as the Hemi or Pentastar. The general public will continue to upgrade vehicles, partly due to social status and partly because they want the newest technology. Even now, a 2014 Ram 1500 (regardless of engine) with 100,000 miles can be bought for fairly cheap. I almost bought a 2014 EcoDiesel a few weeks ago for $14,000.

The government will need to continue to subsidize the shift to EV as the shortage of raw materials will make it very expensive. The cost to update the grid to handle EV charging will take many decades to do. As governments continue to spend money, the value of the dollar (inflation) will make the cost of new vehicles expensive. People who keep their older trucks (Hemi, Pentastar, or EcoDiesel) will save money. So, I would look at your financial goals and decide how long-term ownership might benefit you. People today are holding onto their older vehicles longer than ever before simply because the cost to replace them is too costly.

I won't be selling/trading our 2015 and 2020 Ram trucks. It will be significantly cheaper (and more cost effective) to keep them over the next 15+ years than attempt to replace them. Depending on which state you live in, taxes alone on a new Ram truck could be $4,000 dollars. Overtime, insurance will get cheaper on the older trucks, which is another cost savings.

#21 ·
It can be a great project car these are global engines / cars so parts are plentiful. The 1.9 TDI will be pushing you in the seat and it is known to be a durable motor.

^ Find one in California/Arizona and build her up slowly. You won't regret it. Parts are cheap for mk4's I'd still stay away from the common rail engines in late mk5 and mk6. Although they're still pretty good but costly to fix when the fuel system poops out..
Really anywhere outside of the cold weather regions they can be found in decent shape. I went with 2012 as it didn't have the DEF system, I wasn't really into VW's but these are the last of Euro cars the current generation are an abomination.

#22 · (Edited)
I do agree with the last generation of real German cars, 2012 golf is a dream machine with rear independent suspension, larger interior space and modern tech. If I were to own one I would delete the dpf/egr off it, upgrade the cp4 to older cp3,, then there is no match to the mk6 tdi. It probably will be as good as the mk4 in fuel economy department aswell once the useless parts fall off. Be alot of fun with the extra torque from already a quick little car.

#24 · (Edited)
It's a fun car to drive in the country on tight turns it just hugs the road and begs to be pushed, the hatch is remarkably roomy enough to haul alot of whatever I get some stares as the F250's, Ram 2500's etc are at TSC loading up on range cubes, sacks of feed and there I am speeding out with a full load :LOL: .

#27 ·
I am in BC lower mainland most cars here last 20 plus years before you start to see minor rust and some paint fade.
Wow, that's really impressive. I'm at high elevation (7,000' feet), so we have lower levels of oxygen which helps keep rust from being an issue. However, we have some of the clearest skies in North America, plus our proximity to the sun is not good for paint. I'm located 1.3 miles closer to the sun compared to someone at sea-level.

#29 ·
With the demise of the EcoDiesel next month, I was curious regarding the effects on resale of an out of production power train.
On one hand, I would say that there may not be a positive or negative effect.
On the other hand, values may be a little stronger understanding that the ED is probably the best engine offered in the Ram truck.
Then there is possibility that values could take a hit knowing that parts support will dwindle fast once the last engines are produced.
Thoughts?
You are overthinking. All possible. Wait til you sell and you will find out.

#30 ·

When Hummer was going out of GMs lineup loads of people Panicked including me. I sold it within 3 months. Regretted it as it met my needs at the time.
The Eco Diesel has been a really nice tow vehicle with plenty of Torque for Mtn driving.
Ram will have parts for up to 10 years and there not going anywhere from what I can tell.
My 2 cents are sell it if it no longer works for U otherwise drive it and enjoy and don't read to much of the nonsense on my these Forums.

#31 ·

Common sense. Very well stated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.