RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts
A diesel car like the VW would make perfect sense for me, as I have a bulk tank and buy diesel at wholesale. 25 mpg Subaru vs 45 mpg VW diesel and I really miss the diesel torque. 2.5L Subaru has about as much torque as a lawnmower.
It can be a great project car these are global engines / cars so parts are plentiful. The 1.9 TDI will be pushing you in the seat and it is known to be a durable motor.

^ Find one in California/Arizona and build her up slowly. You won't regret it. Parts are cheap for mk4's I'd still stay away from the common rail engines in late mk5 and mk6. Although they're still pretty good but costly to fix when the fuel system poops out..
Really anywhere outside of the cold weather regions they can be found in decent shape. I went with 2012 as it didn't have the DEF system, I wasn't really into VW's but these are the last of Euro cars the current generation are an abomination.

I do agree with the last generation of real German cars, 2012 golf is a dream machine with rear independent suspension, larger interior space and modern tech. If I were to own one I would delete the dpf/egr off it, upgrade the cp4 to older cp3,, then there is no match to the mk6 tdi. It probably will be as good as the mk4 in fuel economy department aswell once the useless parts fall off. Be alot of fun with the extra torque from already a quick little car.

^ Find one in California/Arizona and build her up slowly. You won't regret it. Parts are cheap for mk4's I'd still stay away from the common rail engines in late mk5 and mk6. Although they're still pretty good but costly to fix when the fuel system poops out..
Hi: r3gill... We may find ourselves at the hind end of the line when everyone plugs in and blows the "Fuse"!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

I do agree with the last generation of real German cars, 2012 golf is a dream machine with rear independent suspension, larger interior space and modern tech. If I were to own one I would delete the dpf/egr off it, upgrade the cp4 to older cp3,, then there is no match to the mk6 tdi. It probably will be as good as the mk4 in fuel economy department aswell once the useless parts fall off. Be alot of fun with the extra torque from already a quick little car.
It's a fun car to drive in the country on tight turns it just hugs the road and begs to be pushed, the hatch is remarkably roomy enough to haul alot of whatever I get some stares as the F250's, Ram 2500's etc are at TSC loading up on range cubes, sacks of feed and there I am speeding out with a full load :LOL: .

Find one in California/Arizona and build her up slowly.
I'm hoping to find a regular cab EcoDiesel in California/Arizona/New Mexico/Nevada/Utah that wasn't exposed to much road salt. I looked at a regular cab 4WD EcoDiesel in Iowa last month, but it looked pretty bad underneath. It's too bad because the truck only had 110,000 miles and the dealer was willing to let it go for $14,000.

Reactions: TexasJoe
Washington/Oregon /BC not much salt here on the roads either,, just alot of rain,, rain clean any spec of salt that's on the undercarriage.. Always gloomy here so paint is pretty well protected.. I am in BC lower mainland most cars here last 20 plus years before you start to see minor rust and some paint fade.

I am in BC lower mainland most cars here last 20 plus years before you start to see minor rust and some paint fade.
Wow, that's really impressive. I'm at high elevation (7,000' feet), so we have lower levels of oxygen which helps keep rust from being an issue. However, we have some of the clearest skies in North America, plus our proximity to the sun is not good for paint. I'm located 1.3 miles closer to the sun compared to someone at sea-level.

Washington/Oregon /BC not much salt here on the roads either,, just alot of rain,, rain clean any spec of salt that's on the undercarriage.. Always gloomy here so paint is pretty well protected.. I am in BC lower mainland most cars here last 20 plus years before you start to see minor rust and some paint fade.
Not so much on the east side of both states the heavy rain is a west side thing.

With the demise of the EcoDiesel next month, I was curious regarding the effects on resale of an out of production power train.
On one hand, I would say that there may not be a positive or negative effect.
On the other hand, values may be a little stronger understanding that the ED is probably the best engine offered in the Ram truck.
Then there is possibility that values could take a hit knowing that parts support will dwindle fast once the last engines are produced.
Thoughts?
You are overthinking. All possible. Wait til you sell and you will find out.

Panic in the Air.................

When Hummer was going out of GMs lineup loads of people Panicked including me. I sold it within 3 months. Regretted it as it met my needs at the time.
The Eco Diesel has been a really nice tow vehicle with plenty of Torque for Mtn driving.
Ram will have parts for up to 10 years and there not going anywhere from what I can tell.
My 2 cents are sell it if it no longer works for U otherwise drive it and enjoy and don't read to much of the nonsense on my these Forums.

Discussion starter · #31 ·

When Hummer was going out of GMs lineup loads of people Panicked including me. I sold it within 3 months. Regretted it as it met my needs at the time.
The Eco Diesel has been a really nice tow vehicle with plenty of Torque for Mtn driving.
Ram will have parts for up to 10 years and there not going anywhere from what I can tell.
My 2 cents are sell it if it no longer works for U otherwise drive it and enjoy and don't read to much of the nonsense on my these Forums.
Common sense. Very well stated.

Flyjet, I gave your post a like and agree with everything you advise, the big issue I and many other owners are uncertain of is the supply of engines that are or should we say not available, with people waiting well over a year for a replacement that is supposedly "available" plus currently very limited supply of the HPFP, the 10 year parts supply will not mean much if the supplier continues to either "drag their feet" or have limited production capability, with a figure around 10% on engines and the delay's with the CP4 that is a little un-nerving to a lot of people, my level of concern is a little different, I plan on keeping the truck regardless and up to doing an engine swap to a Mercedes 0M0606 :oops: (y) or BT4 cummings(y)

Reactions: 3DHawkeye
I plan on keeping the truck regardless and up to doing an engine swap to a Mercedes 0M0606 :oops: (y) or BT4 cummings(y)
Did you just say "cummings"????? Your man-card is GONE!🤣

Did you just say "cummings"????? Your man-card is GONE!🤣
@keiths487too seems like a good guy, so I wasn't going to come down on him. With that said, I have no idea why people call the Cummins a Cummings. :unsure:

The Smart Car was never a very smart choice, except for parking. They got about 3/4 the MPG of my way more comfy/roomy Accord.
Smart cars would have been a good choice for running around most of our cities if they would have stuck with the diesel engines. By only offering gas, the mileage was dismal.

I really wish we still had the misses Jetta, 45+ mpg oil burner:cry:, but she just had to have an SUV :rolleyes: :LOL::LOL:
I miss the mileage of my 2000 beetle but am much happier driving the 2010 Jetta sportswagen. About 10 mpg drop, especially after the AEM update. Also 5 speed versus dsg. I'm keeping my eyes open for a cr diesel with a manual to use as a toad but also want something with higher ground clearance.

@keiths487too seems like a good guy, so I wasn't going to come down on him. With that said, I have no idea why people call the Cummins a Cummings. :unsure:
I work with someone who's last name is Cummings, so it's more of a mental fart when I use the wrong one.

It can be a great project car these are global engines / cars so parts are plentiful. The 1.9 TDI will be pushing you in the seat and it is known to be a durable motor.

Really anywhere outside of the cold weather regions they can be found in decent shape. I went with 2012 as it didn't have the DEF system, I wasn't really into VW's but these are the last of Euro cars the current generation are an abomination.
1.9l TDI stopped sales in the US in 2007. 2.0l TDI with the common rail started sales in 2008 as a 2009 model (Golf, Jetta, and JSW). Passats started with the 2012 2.0l with scr.

Smart cars would have been a good choice for running around most of our cities if they would have stuck with the diesel engines. By only offering gas, the mileage was dismal.
I hadn't realized they offered diesel--all of 799ccs, I see.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.