RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Ram1500diesel Forum members!

Before purchasing my Ram ED CC, I wanted to get it with the Rambox, because I think it is a clever way of creating extra storage in the bed by using the typically unused space over the wheel wells. When time came to purchase the truck, I opted to go with the standard bed with no rambox, I dont know if the 6'4" bed even comes with rambox, I think it only comes on the short box bed. Correct me if I am wrong.

I opted with the standard bed no Rambox because of the type of Tonneau cover I wanted and I figured I only wanted the rambox because it was neat but not necessary for me. Plus I figured the Swing Case could be a good replacement for the rambox for some extra storage behind the wheel well and it only costs 200$ for one, which is all I really need. plus it can be removed easily for full bed usage.

My question for the members is:
#1 - For those who have the Swingcase, how do you like them? Is it worth buying?
#2 - How long have you had them for? Any issues encountered with it?
#3 - Do you have to drill into the bed to mount these? Have you mounted it over a spray in bedliner? or just no spray in bed?
#4 - How much did you pay for them?
#5 - Do these look ugly? ( i know this is an opinionated question ) I am new to trucks but I think they are pretty cool.
#6 - What do you normally use these swing cases for?

thanks! here are pics for those who dont know about these...

1184d1439211337-most-convenient-truck-bed-tool-boxes-swing-case-padlock-loop.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can only help you with question 3.

The unit comes with and is mounted with self-tapping screws that are included with purchase. Just watched a Youtube review of the SwingCase and can confirm this info.

I was interested (as you are) but have now decided against this product as I have no desire to drill into the side of my brand new $55,000 truck :0

·
Registered
48 Posts
Plastic huh? Gonna cut it open and steal your lunch! I find it intriguing, might be able to use something like that. Worst part I think is that its deep storage which can be impractical. Would like to see a version with drawers (double swinger haha).

·
Registered
48 Posts
OP, not sure if you are aware but it appears they changed the design, no longer looks like your picture. Read amazon review stating that new design is ugly and of lesser quality. You can see the updated design on their website. It does indeed look worse and seems like a cheap plastic box, kind of disapointing for $170.
Amazon guy claims he got one of each and had to fight to get a matching pair because they took a long time to update their site with new design, go figure.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I have one on the passengers side and they are handy for light items. I carry truck cleaning items,my diesel supplement and the funnels to add it to the tanks and other odds and ends I would not even try to use it for heavy tools though, do not think they would stand up like the ram boxes.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OP, not sure if you are aware but it appears they changed the design, no longer looks like your picture. Read amazon review stating that new design is ugly and of lesser quality. You can see the updated design on their website. It does indeed look worse and seems like a cheap plastic box, kind of disapointing for $170.
Amazon guy claims he got one of each and had to fight to get a matching pair because they took a long time to update their site with new design, go figure.
I noticed there is two designs as well i figured the X pattern on the box is the old and has no cupholder grooves and the new one is more like slits in the box with cup holder grooves

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
all very great insight and thanks RB33 for the personal exp. do you also have some pics of it installed?
DSCN0737.JPG
It does work great and is way back out of the way when swung back and latched. I have a old heavy plastic milk crate that I use for the heavy stuff, hydraulic jack and bigger tools that I carry when traveling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had them on my last three trucks. Love the extra storage. They are more heavy duty then you would think. I have them on both sides. I carry a 10 pound CO2 tank in one that weighs 25 pounds and a bunch of tools and my jumper cables in the other one. I've never had a problem with them. The new ones are a little more cheaply made but still work great. My old truck was a 2011 Power Wagon on 37" tires and it got wheeled hard. If they can hold up to the abuse I put that truck through I think they will easily hold up to my truck now. For info I have a spray in liner and they mount over the top of it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love mine. Wasn't crazy about drilling into the bed and bedliner... But need somewhere to put tools and other items. Wanted to go with a tonneau cover with the built in box, but reviews i've read sucked. It c hold up to 50 lbs, and are lockable.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello Ram1500diesel Forum members!

Before purchasing my Ram ED CC, I wanted to get it with the Rambox, because I think it is a clever way of creating extra storage in the bed by using the typically unused space over the wheel wells. When time came to purchase the truck, I opted to go with the standard bed with no rambox, I dont know if the 6'4" bed even comes with rambox, I think it only comes on the short box bed. Correct me if I am wrong.

I opted with the standard bed no Rambox because of the type of Tonneau cover I wanted and I figured I only wanted the rambox because it was neat but not necessary for me. Plus I figured the Swing Case could be a good replacement for the rambox for some extra storage behind the wheel well and it only costs 200$ for one, which is all I really need. plus it can be removed easily for full bed usage.

My question for the members is:
#1 - For those who have the Swingcase, how do you like them? Is it worth buying?
#2 - How long have you had them for? Any issues encountered with it?
#3 - Do you have to drill into the bed to mount these? Have you mounted it over a spray in bedliner? or just no spray in bed?
#4 - How much did you pay for them?
#5 - Do these look ugly? ( i know this is an opinionated question ) I am new to trucks but I think they are pretty cool.
#6 - What do you normally use these swing cases for?

thanks! here are pics for those who dont know about these...

View attachment 10686
Hey Ramvia
I have the "new" style on both sides and think they do a good job. I like them and think they are worth having, but less expensive would have been better.
Have had them since I got the truck and have had no issues. I even contacted Undercover for an extra lock set so that they would be keyed alike and it was no problem, they sent two new locks/keys and arrived in just over a week (pretty good for being in Cananda)
Yes, they are mounted with self tapping screws and that was a bit scary on a new truck, but I just winced and did it ;-) Mounts great over the factory spray in liner.
How much did I pay?... Way too much, I'm in Canada 'nuf said.
I think they look fine, Old style looked better IMO but these are not bad and hidden under the cover anyway.
I use one side for hitch balls, tow rope, tiedowns etc. other side has first aid kit and other stuff my wife like to travel with.
Would I do it again, YES.
hope that helps.

·
Registered
782 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They are on sale this weekend at Autoanything and 10% off so if you order the pair they come out to $170 each.

Personally I like the Du-HA Humpster Bed Storage Case which is on sale this weekend for $194

View attachment 11493
never seen this case before.. it looks cool! only thing is it would be hard to reach in from the side since Im not super tall - 5'10"
but i will look into it. Do you have this on your truck currently? anymore pics?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Hey, I'm only 5'4" ;)

I dont actually have one yet as I'm waiting for my Gatortrax cover to come tomorrow and get it installed so I can measure and determine if one will even fit with the cover. I do like it though....miss my trunk in my Ridgeline ;)

Du-Ha has another box which looks good.. the Du-Ha Tote which also might be worth looking in to.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the Du-ha Humpster side boxes. Their height is adjustable, and they can be mounted hinge in or out. I love mine! They can be removed easy enough if you need the entire bed. I really like the fact they don't form any condensation inside. I had swing cases on my Tacoma. They were nice, but I prefer my Du-ha's.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Yea, the Humpstor looks great and it's about 50 bucks off right now, my problem is that O don't know if I'm going to have 53" left over once I install my Gatortrax. Hopefully I can the the cover installed and measure it up prior to the Humpstor going off sale. And If I go with the Humpstor, I may need to add a side step so I can get easy access.

Even it the Humpstor doesn't fit, I had been looking for a plastic toolbox for the truck and the Du-Ha Tote might just work as an alternative.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Bummer, Humster is too long to work with my Gatortrax :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts