RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GDE, I'm wondering about your thoughts on the following statement from another thread concerning dealer detection of swapping an ECM. Thanks in advance.

Don't believe what you read, data is stored in many places on the vehicle, Swapping ECM/ECU/PCM will not changed it ,Ram will know the data is not matching, Busted, Your much better off sending Your unit to GDE and reinstalling, let them (Dealer /Ram) flash right over the GDE tune and pay the $50.00 later, that way the data will always match. The only way to get around this is the Jail Break and its NOT available at this time and seems like it will be 3+ years before its released.

Original thread: http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-general-discussion/8877-how-f-remove-ecm-4.html

·
Registered
200 Posts
I used to have my challenger tuned and use to flash it back to the stock any time i took it in for service. My service manager pulled me aside one day and let me know that he knew, and that it would cause issues if there were a major warranty claim. The ECU is not the only computer one board these trucks. No a days, it is almost impossible to to fool the dealers, and even more FCA. These companies are smart enough to figure out when they are loosing money. \

With that being said, it is also up to the dealer to prove that any mod is the cause for the malfunction. they cannot say, well you tuned it so thats why your wheel fell off. There has to be proof that it caused the error. A blown motor is a pretty easy jump from tuning though. Just know you have to pay to play.!!!

·
Registered
829 Posts
With a GDE tune the dealer and FCA is not loosing money. They are probably making money by not paying out on warrantee issues like they would without the tune.

·
Registered
730 Posts
With a GDE tune the dealer and FCA is not loosing money. They are probably making money by not paying out on warrantee issues like they would without the tune.
If corporations followed your logic, there'd be no legal defense in place for them in the event they did find out.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Not knowing where the falls in this....that's why I have chosen to not do any " internal" mods until after the warranty expires. I can survive without a tune.

·
Registered
829 Posts
A tune is not an "internal mod" but I get your point. It's a catch 22 situation. Without a tune you stand a fair chance of using your warrentee. With a tune you stand much less of a chance in the first place. I went with the tune because I didn't want to see what the inside of my engine looked like at 100k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
1,117 Posts
GDE, I'm wondering about your thoughts on the following statement from another thread concerning dealer detection of swapping an ECM. Thanks in advance.

Don't believe what you read, data is stored in many places on the vehicle, Swapping ECM/ECU/PCM will not changed it ,Ram will know the data is not matching, Busted, Your much better off sending Your unit to GDE and reinstalling, let them (Dealer /Ram) flash right over the GDE tune and pay the $50.00 later, that way the data will always match. The only way to get around this is the Jail Break and its NOT available at this time and seems like it will be 3+ years before its released.

Original thread: http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-general-discussion/8877-how-f-remove-ecm-4.html
Whether you use the stock ecm for tuning or a clone, the data will be the same inside the ecm. ECMs do have serial numbers, but we have never seen a Chrysler dealer check this on an ecodiesel. Even if they start, just tell the dealer you had an ecm failure and had to replace it. I guess ft it is a show stopper, just wait until the warranty period is over before tuning.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If someone sends their ECM in to be tuned, GDE will send back their exact ECM? So that would alleviate the serial number concern.

Someone also brought up a while back key count info being stored somewhere as well that got reset when an ECM was reflashed and was a red flag to dealers on older Cummins trucks. Is that a potential issue here as well?

Guess it would be hard to tell what would happen until someone actually goes in for a major warranty claim with a tuned ECM. And even that may vary dealer to dealer and situation to situation.

·
Registered
517 Posts
with as many of our trucks that are tuned... it probably is worth mentioning that not a lot of GDE trucks that are having to have major engine work completed...

·
Registered
76 Posts
What does a GDE tune do to increase reliability and decrease likelihood of a warranty claim aside from a carbon build up issue by turning off EGR? I am sold on the EGR part - but I don't believe that the tune will have an affect one way or the other if there is some internal defect waiting to rear it's ugly head... other than to provide a reason for FCA to deny your warranty claim.

·
Vendor
1,117 Posts
What does a GDE tune do to increase reliability and decrease likelihood of a warranty claim aside from a carbon build up issue by turning off EGR? I am sold on the EGR part - but I don't believe that the tune will have an affect one way or the other if there is some internal defect waiting to rear it's ugly head... other than to provide a reason for FCA to deny your warranty claim.
Oh...lots of stuff! Improving longevity is a prime driver for all the tunes we do on various applications. For the RAM: Increasing the regen interval reduces load factor on the engine and reduces oil dilution as there is less post injection. Eliminating egr prevents soot build up in the intake. Improving the combustion in-cylinder reduces soot formation roughly 80%, this reduces soot going past the rings and into the oil, thus keeping oil cleaner, longer. These changes should also eliminate the 'shudder' issue several stock truck are having due to soot buildup on the valves. SCR efficiency is turned off, so no potential for a P20EE code that plagues countless trucks. We also turn off the dual governor concept on the Bosch fuel pump due to excessive chatter in the stock tuning. (This is going to be a major durability issue for Ram down the road) This is a good starter and we have more coming...

·
Registered
270 Posts
I think my dealer just flashed my PCM...

If someone believes that they won't bother updating the PCM when you take your truck in for Problem XYZ, thinking that it has nothing to do with the PCM....wrong.

Why would you bother updating a PCM when the truck is in for a dash problem? Really? F me. I was going to swap in the factory PCM to be safe but apparently read too many posts here claiming they won't dick with it so I left it be. Guess not!!!

Good luck to those who don't have a spare PCM.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm guessing not, or that it's situationally dependent - but does anyone know how deep dealers dig when a rod goes through the block or they start making noise and find metal in the oil drain?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Oh...lots of stuff! Improving longevity is a prime driver for all the tunes we do on various applications. For the RAM: Increasing the regen interval reduces load factor on the engine and reduces oil dilution as there is less post injection. Eliminating egr prevents soot build up in the intake. Improving the combustion in-cylinder reduces soot formation roughly 80%, this reduces soot going past the rings and into the oil, thus keeping oil cleaner, longer. These changes should also eliminate the 'shudder' issue several stock truck are having due to soot buildup on the valves. SCR efficiency is turned off, so no potential for a P20EE code that plagues countless trucks. We also turn off the dual governor concept on the Bosch fuel pump due to excessive chatter in the stock tuning. (This is going to be a major durability issue for Ram down the road) This is a good starter and we have more coming...
All great gains, IMO, but a question here pops to mind:

Is the tune compliant with emissions laws? Would a tuned truck pass California smog tests, etc.? I think at least a couple of the things affected by the tune impact systems involved with emissions to a degree.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
All great gains, IMO, but a question here pops to mind:

Is the tune compliant with emissions laws? Would a tuned truck pass California smog tests, etc.? I think at least a couple of the things affected by the tune impact systems involved with emissions to a degree.
An engine may not be EPA compliant and still pass the CA emissions test, because they do not currently measure emissions quantitatively. The inspection currently is a visual check of emissions equipment, an OBD II scan and a visual smoke test. I just had one done for my Duramax and it passed, as always. It has no emission controls other than EGR and CCV. The tech told me to expect dyno and probe testing in the not too distant future.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
An engine may not be EPA compliant and still pass the CA emissions test, because they do not currently measure emissions quantitatively. The inspection currently is a visual check of emissions equipment, an OBD II scan and a visual smoke test. I just had one done for my Duramax and it passed, as always. It has no emission controls other than EGR and CCV. The tech told me to expect dyno and probe testing in the not too distant future.
Exactly my point. Thanks to VW... We happen to have just bought a TDI from them, so now we're waiting to see what happens next. The problem may develop down the road as smog tests are ramped up with stricter criteria imposed. Sigh...

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
When using a dyno it's easy to screw up if your not use to using one . And the only individuals they will notice about not being with in standards are the ones who don't know what's going on with their vehicles emissions. Especially in California it seems everyone has 2 exhaust systems one for test and one for daily driver. In other words a dyno test would most likely create a huge liability for mistakes to accure during testing and just find factory exhaust systems that are out of compliance.

·
Registered
735 Posts
If your engine left the factory with some mechanical defect; improperly torqued rod bolt etc., it will let go someday tuned or not. The way I see it issues like that should manifest relatively early, especially if the truck is worked a bit.

Do you wait for that rod to come out the block while stock, while your EGR, valves and intake start to gum up leading to more issues down the road, or do you prevent that and get 700-800 mile DPF regen intervals now?

Only you can decide.

·
Super Moderator
2,969 Posts
I've had dealer updates done to my ECM and it did not affect my GDE tune at all that I or GDE was able to detect. Later I had a conversation with the dealership manager over the service department (full disclosure he is my cousin) and he off the record was very supportive in fact would off the record so to speak recommend a tune such as GDE. I was surprised he started naming them and was very familiar with GDE PPEI Banks and others knew about Rolling Smoke diesel and Snow diesels Methanol kit etc. Turns out he is/has considered replacing his low mile Hemi 1500 with an ED and is an avid reader of the ED facebook page. I put him on to our site but don't know if he will take the time to come check it out or not.

·
Registered
502 Posts
My opinion.... people worry too much. The chance of FCA finding out is slim to none. If it doesn't look obvious that something is amiss, there will be no reason for a tech to look and hint FCA to look. Come in with stacks and no aftertreatment system, than I can gaurentee that will look. My old man has a 2013 Duramax that has had Duramaxtuner's tune in it since the day after it became avaliable. Has been to the dealer for a few minor warrantee issues and the dealer has never mentioned anything. It did get overflashed once, but since we have a copy of the tune, we just reflashed it with EFI Live and life was good.

Just my opinion!

Mike

1 - 20 of 23 Posts