1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
I would have bought the GM in a heart beat over the ram or ford with those specs. Even if the GM was the bottom of the barrel on the performance specs I likely would have still gone with it because the inline design and I think they have a better strategy for dealing with the emissions systems.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I would have bought the GM in a heart beat over the ram or ford with those specs. Even if the GM was the bottom of the barrel on the performance specs I likely would have still gone with it because the inline design and I think they have a better strategy for dealing with the emissions systems.
My GM days are behind me - at least for a while. Until this RAM, I had driven all GM trucks and got rid of my last one due to excessive corrosion. It was a trend I'd seen on my last couple GM's. I live in the salt belt, and for me body construction and resistance to corrosion are just as important as the drive train. There is no excuse these days for lack of corrosion resistance, and dealing with rust problems can be just as frustrating as drive train problems. This may not be as important for those in mild climates. The body on my 2015 RAM has been excellent from this perspective. So far, much better corrosion resistance than my previous GM's. My biggest complaint so far? The small detent roller on the door hinges! I'm still looking for a lube that will quiet that roller as it spins with the door opening / closing.

·
Super Moderator
2,955 Posts
The GM has an aluminum block?? :(. Yikes Reminds me of the Cadillac 4.1 where mechanics would unwittingly over torque the intake manifold bolts after repairs or service and tweak the flimsy aluminum block just enough that the engine would self destruct like an Ecodiesel only with no warranty coverage.

Hi: Bgbdwlf2500... Maybe a larger feed bag with more oats for the horses Eh? Only at WOT.

·
Registered
529 Posts
My GM days are behind me - at least for a while. Until this RAM, I had driven all GM trucks and got rid of my last one due to excessive corrosion. It was a trend I'd seen on my last couple GM's. I live in the salt belt, and for me body construction and resistance to corrosion are just as important as the drive train. There is no excuse these days for lack of corrosion resistance, and dealing with rust problems can be just as frustrating as drive train problems. This may not be as important for those in mild climates. The body on my 2015 RAM has been excellent from this perspective. So far, much better corrosion resistance than my previous GM's. My biggest complaint so far? The small detent roller on the door hinges! I'm still looking for a lube that will quiet that roller as it spins with the door opening / closing.
I will do the opposite. Said I'd never buy a FCA product due to past experience from my dad but bought 2 at the same time due to wifes grandfather retiring from Chrysler. Shes already having electrical issues on her pacifica at 1 year and 25000 miles. Truck has been good at 2 years old as a leftover 17 I bought a year ago. Had 19 miles when I bought it, now has 15500 miles but I will go back to gm when I'm done with the ram. It's for sale if anyone is interested.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
The biggest sales point for the Duramax would be the inline 6 vs the V6 for ford and FCA.

Also, with a "mild" hot tune, the Ecodiesel can much/pass the stock numbers from Ford/GM. Ford is getting some tunes already though and I'm sure Duramax will have some too.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The biggest sales point for the Duramax would be the inline 6 vs the V6 for ford and FCA.

Also, with a "mild" hot tune, the Ecodiesel can much/pass the stock numbers from Ford/GM. Ford is getting some tunes already though and I'm sure Duramax will have some too.
Only issue with tunes for duramax is I can see them using an encryption similar to the L5P duramax. Took them a few years to crack it for OBD tuning. But hopefully it’s very similar and tuning happens right off the start.

The Fords are always easy. F150 PS had EZlynk compatibility the first week I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Really did not say much. That aluminum block was something I did not pick up on during the past year-and-a-half since that engine was announced. Thanks for the link

Looks like availability will now be in the two-year range after the announcement. That is a royal screw-up on my book.

Anyway the GM and FCA versions are NOT available to buy. The Ford seems to be recently allowed back on the sales market after being stopped from sales due to the EGR bolt mess. Guessing they got them retrofitted with the correct parts and can sell them again. Not sure there is a 2019 Ford but did see one of the 2018's for sale on a lot in Sarasota, Florida. Have yet to see a 2019 Ford 3.0 for sale and not really going to look. Timing and injector belts are not in my diesel vocabulary.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts

That is a big one for me, and potentially even bigger is post DPF EGR. My tail pipe has 68,000 miles on it and is clean to tarnished bear metal. I'd much rather have that being put back into the egr/intake than the soot and sludge that ours breath in.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
I use DuPont Teflon Dry Wax Lubricant but unfortunately it is no longer made and I am hording my last few cans. I don't know why they quite making it. Its big claim to fame was it had solvents so it flows easily but then they flash off and it becomes a dry film that doesn't attract dust and dirt. Perhaps there is another kind of solvent based dry wax lubricant out there. Before I had that I used a drop or two of rear end oil and it worked well with a reapplication needed every 18 months or so. The dry silicone stuff doesn't seem to work.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The build quality of GM in general is sup par in comparison to Ford and Ram. I've seen my buddy with an LTZ Tahoe, 2 Short Escalade's, and 2 Short Escalade Platinums. He still points out differences between his truck, and my Limited.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I can't find a gm dealer I trust. Flat out dirt bags.

Can't find a ram dealer that isn't collectively got chromosome issues. But they at least are nice.

Ford... Well I just don't like to get raped by the cost of their vehicles. Just too damn expensive.

I went with the lesser of three evils.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Aluminum block and steel liners, that GM combo is gonna be awesome for the aftermarket if they can figure out how to tune it. Which is another thing that is becoming increasingly difficult. The Duramax L5P took a couple years to figure out how. Although OBD tune-able, you have to buy a different computer and pay in the neighborhood of $5-7k to tune and delete the trucks. Look for this type of ECM to become common place, and more and more difficult to tune as the years go by.

·
Registered
614 Posts
GM's have big problems with rust in the rear frame rails and spare tire area. My Dad's last GMC flunked state inspection after 6 years for frame rot. My last 2005 Ram's frame still looked new with 276,000 miles driven in Maine. I believe Ford's frames are also good from what I see. Worst, however are Toyota frames.

·
Registered
614 Posts
That is a big one for me, and potentially even bigger is post DPF EGR. My tail pipe has 68,000 miles on it and is clean to tarnished bear metal. I'd much rather have that being put back into the egr/intake than the soot and sludge that ours breath in.
Honestly, I've never seen such shiny tail pipes as my Ecodiesel after 42,000+ miles. Was thinking of polishing them, they are soooo clean.

·
Registered
646 Posts
GM has emissions figured out, ever since 2007.5 with the LMM they've had a better system than the other guys, with less problems and more reliability (with the emissions system at least). I can't say I agree with their DEF tank placement, but how many guys put DEF in the fuel tank of a duramax?

·
Registered
724 Posts
The inline 3L sounds like a pretty well thought out engine design. Sometime after mid june we should be seeing pickup blogger reviews as they will finally be driving the inline 3L. I suspect fuel economy will not be class leading.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts