RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
The GM has an aluminum block?? :(. Yikes Reminds me of the Cadillac 4.1 where mechanics would unwittingly over torque the intake manifold bolts after repairs or service and tweak the flimsy aluminum block just enough that the engine would self destruct like an Ecodiesel only with no warranty coverage.

Hi: Bgbdwlf2500... Maybe a larger feed bag with more oats for the horses Eh? Only at WOT.
My first new car was an 82 Subie wagon with the AL block and head 4 banger. Any service garage would only do a full service on a stone cold engine for fear of over torqueing the head.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
........... My biggest complaint so far? The small detent roller on the door hinges!
I'm still looking for a lube that will quiet that roller as it spins with the door opening / closing.
https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-general-discussion/60478-driver-side-door-squeak.html#post914642

I see you were in that thread too , you still have the front door hinges squeaking and growling ??
my lithium grease did not work immediately , but I haven't heard the growling in many months .

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-general-discussion/60478-driver-side-door-squeak.html#post914642

I see you were in that thread too , you still have the front door hinges squeaking and growling ??
my lithium grease did not work immediately , but I haven't heard the growling in many months .
Kazi....thanks for searching back on that previous thread. This issue of hinge roller groan is the weirdest thing for me. Only seems to do it in warmer weather. I've tried various lubes (not chain lube yet though) and they all seem to do the trick at initial application, but the groan returns. Sounds like Howie has the solution but he's not willing to share! :D

·
Registered
1,139 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Kazi....thanks for searching back on that previous thread. This issue of hinge roller groan is the weirdest thing for me. Only seems to do it in warmer weather. I've tried various lubes (not chain lube yet though) and they all seem to do the trick at initial application, but the groan returns. Sounds like Howie has the solution but he's not willing to share! :D
Hi: roegs... My door groaned till I had the truck "Krown" undercoated. Now the problem is the door's so slippery it won't stay open but it's silent!!! "WATCH YOUR HEAD".
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
..very possible that my door will start to groan again once summer finally arrives ,
it's still cold here as in March , that would explain my many months with silent door .

·
Registered
130 Posts

I've always used lithium grease and it works like a charm. we have a tub of it that my dad bought before i was born and it's my go-to for any automotive squeaks or groans. It must work well if we use so little that it's lasted this long

·
Registered
2,322 Posts

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

·
Super Moderator
3,079 Posts
I’m interested in learning about this engine and all the thermal control systems. An aluminum block makes it suspect to me. Not that you can’t get reasonable long life out of the liners etc but if you want to tune & run more boost? Or if you get a coolant leak etc & overheat it aluminum can be very hard to maintain exact tolerances in critical places. Then you learn why they’re critical. The stronger lighter more wear resistant iron graphite that our ED and the brand new Cummins uses sounds way smarter to me. Some parts are worth the higher cost. Outside of the aluminum block everything sounds really good to me.

·
Super Moderator
3,079 Posts
I suppose EPA approval & mileage rating could inspire GM to change its tune & in doing so its power claims. Never heard of such & don’t know the practical possibility of it.

277HP & 460TQ look good but I fear pressure increases from turning up the boost & the exponential growth of centrifugal force with increased RPM that a tune would bring with an aluminum block. Historically auto Mfgrs have struggled with aluminum blocks. GDE’s wheel dyno numbers extrapolated into equivalent Mfgr power ratings come in about 268HP 465TQ IE still competitive until the aftermarket gets a tune for the GM.

Fast Lane Trucks said Ford is finally starting to deal on the high trim leftover 2018 f150 diesels and now going to start offering them in XLT trims to the public so maybe we will start to see more of them hit the streets.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
21 - 38 of 38 Posts