RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been enjoying my new 2018 Laramie ED quite a bit in the 10 months since purchasing. It's comfortable, looks great, get's amazing mileage and towed a 7300-7400lb toyhauler to the race track with ease. Took her for a 150+ mile drive on the highway this weekend with the Mrs and about a mile from home, it started clattering and making an awful racket just as I was about to cross a busy intersection. I backed out of the intersection while I had a chance and the clattering seemed to ease up in reverse. Wife is 9mo. pregnant and was scared as hell. The engine smoothed out a bit, so I limped us home asap. I've heard rod knock before, so caught the sound on video and bounced it off my motorcycle mechanic, who advised don't drive it and it's on it's way out.

I had it towed to the dealer where I bought it, who also did the first oil change about a month ago. They confirmed it threw a rod at 8500mi, new engine will be here within a week, and installed the following week.

The wife and I are questioning whether we can trust this little motor for the long haul, replacement and all, and considering trading it for a 2019 Laramie w/ 5.7 Hemi. We would lose a chunk of value on the current truck, which would be rolled into our new auto-loan and the MPG hit between the ED and Hemi is negligible. I personally feel that a diesel just feels proper in a truck with it's driving characteristics, but a $65K+ Cummins is a bit beyond our budget.

As a side note, my dad has been doing business with our current dealer for 30-40yrs and currently has a 5.7 Hemi in his '05 2500 that runs like an absolute top with 140K miles on her. He's tootin' his horn about how I bought the wrong motor :D .. Ultimately seeking a motor that's going to last me the next 15-20yrs.

·
Registered
648 Posts
you are the only one that can determine what fits your life, these engines have more problems than most, but they are still fairly infrequent. Haven't heard of too many people on their 3rd engine.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Personally know someone that blew 3 engines within 36k miles on a 2015 ecod. Truck was a short drive grocery getter type use with occasional long trips. He now drives a Ford F150 ecoboost. Everytime I see him... One of my questions is " what the F did you do to your ecod to blow 3 engines"?

And answer "nothing... They are junk"

Meanwhile mine has 81k miles with 0 engine issues. Hard to wrap your head around it....

We like the ecodiesels around here in Vancouver due to highest fuel prices in North America. So I come across ED owners all the time. And have count less blown engine stories. But that doesnt stop people from buying these trucks.

3 more friends with ecodiesels.
1st had intake swirl valve code and had his intake manifold replaced at 65k miles

2nd had blown egr cooler at 60k miles. Not replaced by warranty.

3rd with another leaking egr cooler at very low miles and replaced by warranty.

Mine is tuned and have had no issues. Not saying the tune is the magic. But atleast for me it is.

·
Registered
153 Posts
you are the only one that can determine what fits your life, these engines have more problems than most, but they are still fairly infrequent. Haven't heard of too many people on their 3rd engine.
Your comment is funny if looking at your avatar

·
Registered
51 Posts
our 2015 had knock at 23000 and they put in new engine and now have 114,000 with 5,000 towing 7,500lb TT. not tuned yet but it's coming

·
Registered
177 Posts
You might also consider hanging on to it until the 2020's come out. Appears to be a more robust EcoD.
different manufacturer or just a better design? Haven't seen any new EcoD Rams around the dealerships here in Central Texas.

After driving a rental 5.7 for a month I can say that I honestly can't tell a difference other than at the pump.
The rental QC 1500 with 9000 miles and the Hemi was averaging 16-19 for me vs the 23-25 we get with the diesel.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
different manufacturer or just a better design? Haven't seen any new EcoD Rams around the dealerships here in Central Texas.

FCA claims it will be better , but , only when they come out , and regular preople use them ,
will we know if they bulletproofed it , the post DPF feed for the EGR is nice , but it is used in combination with same
pre DPF feed we have now , only time will tell. Still a VM Motori engine ( owned by FCA ).

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
If your are truly looking for a truck to last 20 years I think your better off with the hemi unless your going to delete all the emissions stuff.

That said I bought mine in 2015 with the intent of keeping it as long as it was reliable and fit my needs. My son is almost 5 and he might get it for a wore out first ride in 11 years.

·
Registered
12,444 Posts
There are some good deals on the last of the 2018 Cummins 2500's right now. That is an old design motor with a long track record. Only thing, same with the Ecodiesel, you really have to do a delete and get rid of the soot at least.

For now FCA will be replacing your motor. Not gonna cost you anything. That toy hauler over 7,000 lbs is quite a load. Hope you have a 3:92 rear-end ratio.If so, I would keep it. If not, that's a lot of strain on the little 3.0 with loads like that.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I say get the engine changed and give it another try. Can't really hurt. you can always ditch for a 5.7 after the fact. You got a bad one. Just happens sometimes.

You loved the truck, it did what you wanted and needed and did it well. I have 57k on my 2015 and have had very few issues - all but one were caused by my dealer.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I agree with Capt and namretsud , The 2009-2016? hemi’s are definitely having serious issues with lifters and camshafts ..

You can still purchase a 2018 Cummins from Dennis Dillon, Tradesmen are running 44k a Laramie 57-60 k . Now I wouldn’t purchase a 2019 Cummins, a newly designed engine.. The 2016-2018 Cummins are the go to years , Least amount of issues with a very solidly designed longevity engine, if you purchased a Cummins today and you take care of it , most likely you’ll still have it when your baby graduates high school.....

BTW check out Oak Grove Ram they still have a couple 2018’s Internet price isn’t as good as Dennis Dillon but much closer to you...

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Only FCA knows the engine failure rate for sure. I have heard numbers from 2 to 5% failure rate. If the rate is 2% the odds of one failure is one in 50, the odds of two failures is one in 2500 and the odds of three failures are one in 125,000. IF the failure rate is 5% the odds of one failure is one in 20, two in a row is one in 400 and 3 in a row is one in 8000.

Hopefully these statistics will help you take the emotions out of the decision and look at it rationally.

If I was you I'd take the replacement engine and keep on going with it.

All the best,

·
Registered
751 Posts
If your are truly looking for a truck to last 20 years I think your better off with the hemi unless your going to delete all the emissions stuff.

That said I bought mine in 2015 with the intent of keeping it as long as it was reliable and fit my needs. My son is almost 5 and he might get it for a wore out first ride in 11 years.
Funny, I've told my wife something very similar. Although it's the three year old granddaughter I have in mind. Nothing better for a first car than one that is about the same age as the kid.

To OP: It's not the truck that disappointed, it's the original engine and FCA is replacing that. I know it's easy to say don't worry about it, but you are starting the clock over. As shaggn said, you can always trade/sell it later. You'll probably get a better deal if the dealer isn't circling like a shark with blood in the water. One other thing to consider, if you decide to dump it right away, take it to a different dealer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There are some good deals on the last of the 2018 Cummins 2500's right now. That is an old design motor with a long track record. Only thing, same with the Ecodiesel, you really have to do a delete and get rid of the soot at least.

For now FCA will be replacing your motor. Not gonna cost you anything. That toy hauler over 7,000 lbs is quite a load. Hope you have a 3:92 rear-end ratio.If so, I would keep it. If not, that's a lot of strain on the little 3.0 with loads like that.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll scout for a leftover 2018 Cummins, but don't think my local dealer had any when I looked. Current truck has the tow package w/ 3.92 rear and did very well during a 6,000ft climb/descent with that toy hauler. Had to use load-levelers but would opt for airbags in the future.

·
Registered
12,444 Posts
All i put on mine are a simple set of Tmbren bumper stops. They sure have worked for me when I toy the toy hauler with motorcycles or the tractor trailer. I need to get the most from the least and that is a solution to a helper on the suspension.

Above are some links for possible 2018 Cummins 2500's. Surely there are many places you can find one. Like Haul 'N ... states above, it is a proven package for towing in to the future. The new engine, because of one particular component in the fuel system, has a suspect track record early on. Might be the same for the valving change on the modified transmission for that new motor. Then again, just might be the solution.

Another option, in additional to keeping what you have, is the upcoming 2020 Ecodiesel. Their tow rating has been presented into the 11,000 lb range. That's a lot for a 1/2 ton but if true, gives you a goodly margin for towing with your present equipment. You have many options and all, including keeping what you have, seem positive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just hope that FCA does not use us as beta testers as they have on their past vehicles, the Dart and the 200 are perfect examples, and I am wondering if this was the case with the ecodiesel...??

·
Administrator
8,208 Posts
I just hope that FCA does not use us as beta testers as they have on their past vehicles, the Dart and the 200 are perfect examples, and I am wondering if this was the case with the ecodiesel...??
I had a 1963 Dodge Dart. Great car. The slant-six: 170 cu in engine was bulletproof and the push button auto trans was futuristic at the time.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts