RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Very nice truck!! While its no diesel, the Hemi is a damn fun and stout motor. It still brought a smile to my face the day I drove it in for a trade.

Now, completely anecdotal, I think the Hemi is stout. I ran my 2011 hard to 150,000km and it only had the "usual" issue of exhaust manifolds leaking (happened early under warranty). I ran Pennzoil Platinum, Motomaster synthetic and Quaker State Ultimate Durability for 10 to 12,000km change index along with a Fram Ultra changed every second change. I never ran into the cam issue. It had the Hemi tick its whole life, no big deal.

A mechanic friend of mine cursed the motor as he did many cam/lifter changes in a sparsely populated area.

Have fun and drive it hard, it likes to drive fast!

·
Registered
144 Posts
the lifters aren't the problem, it's excessive lash in the valve train. A few owners have installed slightly longer than stock pushrods to quiet the issue, some just live with it (it doesn't effect longevity).
I was able to use the stock length on my build with no issues.
Just don't go with thicker than recommended oil or you'll have issues with the cam phaser...
That is a tired myth on the oil grade in the Hemi with the MDS, FCA uses the same MDS system in the 6.4 Hemi Ram's and they use 0w-40 grade oil without any issues to the MDS system. To many people look for the cheapest price oil they can find and with all manufactures now having to use such low viscosity grades to get as much fuel mileage as possible it has caused some problems.

I ran Redline 0w-40 Group V Ester Synthetic oil in my 6.4 Hemi and never had any issues with the engine. I run Redline in all my engines from my wife's Honda Civic 1.5 Turbo Redline 0w-20, both my Yamaha Generators Redline 10w-40, my Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental motorcycle Redline Motorcycle oil 10w-40 to my 2019 Ram 1500 Classic ecodiesel Redline 15w-40 diesel oil.

The majority of so called synthetic oils on the market today are not synthetic oil but instead Group III conventional oil labeled as synthetic. True synthetic oil is expensive to make but these companies are getting away with charging low end synthetic prices for hydro-cracked conventional oil. The truth is most people are overpaying for conventional oil tricked into believing they are getting a true synthetic oil.

True synthetic oil is a Group IV PAO and Group V Ester oil, both are manufactured in a lab environment and every molecule is the same where conventional oil each molecule are different sizes.

88825B86-F6A3-440C-975C-534135CE7EBE_4_5005_c.jpeg

In the example above showing molecules which oil do you think provides the best protection, the conventional oil has two molecules doing the the majority of the work in the example while the synthetic oil has all the molecules sharing the work load evenly. The conventional oil breaks down due to how the molecules are different sizes compared to the synthetic oil every molecule being the same.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts