RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For 5 years, I've been telling anyone that'd listen....

"man... they should put a small diesel in a 1/2 ton truck"

I'm also a 2500 Cummins owner (2004 / 5.9L), and one of those guys that bought the 3/4 ton just so I could get a diesel - I don't need a 3/4 ton truck.

But... I stopped by the local (Large) dealer today and talked briefly to a salesman....

me "do you have any 1500 diesels on the lot?"
him "1500 diesels? Uhhh.... I don't know. I'll ask."
... he checks with sales manager / aka uninformed/overpaid doofus....
him "No - maybe late April or early May. We can't even order them yet."
me "really? I know others are ordering and expecting delivery in the next week or so"

I swear... working with a Dodge salesman will probably be the biggest hurdle for me buying this truck. He really has no clue about the biggest news at Dodge (Ecodiesel 1500) in the last 10 years????

How on earth do these sales guys justify having a job and earning anything more than minimum wage?

:mad:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wow... Fail, Obviously that dealership hasn't gotten a lot of requests for the diesels.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's probably the biggest dealer in Colorado, and we have huge demand for diesels, too. Weird.

This was the same dealership that showed me a 2500 Cummins a few years back and the young sales person popped the hood and said "big V8 will pull whatever you need". Really? You said "V8" and "Cummins" in the same sentence and your paycheck is from a Dodge dealer? Shame shame shame! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think there is actually some truth in "we can't order them yet" as in I don't think there is any dealer allocation yet. My dealer has told me they can't get them yet. For their own stock that is.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
First fail, you went to a Dodge dealer. Next time, head over to a Ram dealer.

On the serious note, my salesman SUCKED when I went looking at one on the lot. I am 99% sure it was a 6 foot bed instead of 5 foot. I did the arm test, being that I am 6'1". He told me that the large doors only come with the 5 foot bed. The small doors come with the 6 foot bed. My girl set him straight that I know more about this truck than he did. 2nd, when we was searching, he couldn't spell DIESEL. I mean, not even close. Like deasle or something. :mad:
(MOD/OWNER, we need a "FACEPALM" smiley)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think there is actually some truth in "we can't order them yet" as in I don't think there is any dealer allocation yet. My dealer has told me they can't get them yet. For their own stock that is.
So I stand corrected. Now I wonder what's up with the guy I've been talking to. I see on my dealers website a truck in transit. http://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C6RR7GM1ES313690

There's a saying in the car business that salesmen live by..... "don't see what you can sell, sell what you can see" in other words, sell the trucks on the lot!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's a saying in the car business that salesmen live by..... "don't see what you can sell, sell what you can see" in other words, sell the trucks on the lot!!
I guess so.

I was surfing a RAM dealer site on Monday, and that window popped up asking if I'd like to chat with a salesperson. So I did.

I asked "do you have any 1500 Ecodiesels available for test drive?"

The guy started asking a ton of annoying questions... "what color are you looking at?" "when are you looking to buy?" "What options do you want?"... etc.

He never actually answered my original question, so I replied "I have to go - you never answered if you have a diesel on the lot. Good bye."

God... I swear... I'd rather buy on-line (a-la Tesla) than ever deal with a salesperson again. (and I'm a sales guy!).

·
Registered
177 Posts
The dealership I am working with has been GREAT, but I knew more about the truck than they did just because I spent hours on the net researching it.

I have never come across a salesperson that has known more about the vehicle than I have, not once. The majority of people that sell vehicles are not gearheads, their salespersons.

What really floored me was a couple of years ago when I went to talk to a salesman at a Porsche dealer, yikes!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts