RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hitting 4,000 miles on the odo today . New problem has popped up just in the past week. At random times, I get a dead pedal. Typically it happens after driving and then coming to a stop waiting to make a turn. Upon getting back onto the throttle to make the left hand turn, I get nothing. Like, a dead pedal. Feels like the pedal has been unplugged. And as I sit there and hold pressure on the throttle pedal, all of a sudden it'll finally take off harshly with a jerk and throw us back into the seat.

This is different than the lag that has been present since day 1. This is an actual loss of pedal response momentarily, and then an immediate return to throttle. It's all in the software, at least that's how it feels. VERY disconcerting when I'm sitting there waiting to turn across two lanes of traffic to hit an interstate on-ramp. This has happened twice now over this past week.

Good grief I wish FCA would revise the calibration. I checked with the dealer a couple of weeks ago and they said there isn't anything new yet. I believe they probably did a better job on the hardware this time around, but the software is still terrible.

Maybe by the time my lease is up, @GDE will offer something for these 2020s.

·
Vendor
1,225 Posts
I feel your pain!! This issue is more pronounced during summertime and warmer ambient temps. It is 100% the calibration and one of many issues we have noticed. In my opinion, the 2020 ecodiesel is on par with the AEM tuned older trucks (2014-2016) from a drive ability view.

·
Registered
197 Posts
That sounds exactly like the dead pedal caused by the AEM, but I think you're the first to complain about it in a gen3. It will really suck if this problem creeps up in the gen3s over time, were we lulled into a false sense of security over the last 6+ months thinking that FCA fixed this problem with the gen3?

It also sounds like GDE is aware of the issue and how to fix it, so there may be a remedy in the future even if FCA isn't willing to fix it themselves.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Worst thing about it (other than the danger) is that when it happens, my wife just thinks I'm driving poorly. "HONEY. Good grief." Sigh.. Sorry to give everybody in the truck whiplash. I promise it's not MY fault. :rolleyes:

Between the terrible powertrain calibration and the fact that I'm still not used to the rotary shift knob, it hasn't been a totally fun experience for my family. They get jerked around a lot and it annoys me but I promise I'm not losing my touch as a driver.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I can concur with this experience. It hasn't happened often yet (<2000 miles), but I can attest to an instance just within the last few days where I press the pedal, and there is a noticeable delay of 1-2 seconds before the engine starts revving up. Kind of hard to miss when you've grown used to anticipating acceleration and your muscles tense accordingly, but there's no movement. While the results may look amusing (why are you craning your neck like that?), it is a little unsettling.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm hitting 4,000 miles on the odo today . New problem has popped up just in the past week. At random times, I get a dead pedal. Typically it happens after driving and then coming to a stop waiting to make a turn. Upon getting back onto the throttle to make the left hand turn, I get nothing. Like, a dead pedal. Feels like the pedal has been unplugged. And as I sit there and hold pressure on the throttle pedal, all of a sudden it'll finally take off harshly with a jerk and throw us back into the seat.

This is different than the lag that has been present since day 1. This is an actual loss of pedal response momentarily, and then an immediate return to throttle. It's all in the software, at least that's how it feels. VERY disconcerting when I'm sitting there waiting to turn across two lanes of traffic to hit an interstate on-ramp. This has happened twice now over this past week.

Good grief I wish FCA would revise the calibration. I checked with the dealer a couple of weeks ago and they said there isn't anything new yet. I believe they probably did a better job on the hardware this time around, but the software is still terrible.

Maybe by the time my lease is up, @GDE will offer something for these 2020s.
I had this happen to me once. Foot to the floor and it was essentially idling. Drove a few hundred yards and it lazily built rpm and once it made boost it snapped out of it and hasn’t done it since.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Wonder if a Pedal Commander would wake up the Gen 3's? I set mine at Sport+2 on my GDE tuned 2017 and turbo lag is not bad.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wonder if a Pedal Commander would wake up the Gen 3's? I set mine at Sport+2 on my GDE tuned 2017 and turbo lag is not bad.
I've heard that it does wake up the Gen 3. But, it doesn't really address the poor engine calibration. It simply dials up the gain on the electronic signal at the pedal. And I don't think it would solve the dead throttle pedal issue at all. That also is in the calibration.

Only real fix is a better tune, whether it be from FCA (which is unlikely) or a reputable tuner like GDE in the hopefully near future.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I'm looking forward to GDE working some magic and coming out with a tune for the 3rd gen truck!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I've heard that it does wake up the Gen 3. But, it doesn't really address the poor engine calibration. It simply dials up the gain on the electronic signal at the pedal. And I don't think it would solve the dead throttle pedal issue at all. That also is in the calibration.

Only real fix is a better tune, whether it be from FCA (which is unlikely) or a reputable tuner like GDE in the hopefully near future.
I actually think it would make a difference. My GDE tuned 16' is freakish on Sport+ (+4)...any time an increase in voltage increases electrical current the end result should result in increased action. No electrician here but seems a standard in electronics.

Calibration is rarely optimum in and next-gen product. R&D simply is a guestimate of real world use and abuse, all vehicles are optomized over time. Perhaps they dumb down on purpose, marketing increased performace of the next model year.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've been one of the nay-sayer's about the throttle issues on my gen-3. I have been happy with the drivability until just recently & still am big picture wise. I have experienced this dead petal condition a few times now and it's very similar to what WXman has described above. My impression is there is a correlation between higher ambient temps and this occurring. My truck drives well overall, get's as expected MPG's, has plenty of power, but I have experienced this dead petal condition on a half dozen occasions now.

The tunes can't get here fast enough IMO.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
My impression is there is a correlation between higher ambient temps and this occurring.
And that's been confirmed by GDE.

The tunes can't get here fast enough IMO.
Hopefully FCA will have a software reflash available to solve that issue. If not, then an aftermarket tune will be the go to.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To make things more interesting, I have since been reading in some of the Cummins forums about the same dead pedal issue that I have seen with the EcoDiesel. That would seem to almost guarantee that it is in fact a FCA programming condition. Probably due to how they're dealing with emissions.

Reactions: biodiesel

·
Registered
13,522 Posts
To make things more interesting, I have since been reading in some of the Cummins forums about the same dead pedal issue that I have seen with the EcoDiesel. That would seem to almost guarantee that it is in fact a FCA programming condition. Probably due to how they're dealing with emissions.
News to me.

Guess I am both missing that issue on a Cummins forum and with my new Cummins.

Hope to keep on missing that.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
115 Posts
News to me.

Guess I am both missing that issue on a Cummins forum and with my new Cummins.

Hope to keep on missing that.
Yeah I haven’t seen any lag at all either in my 2019 with the Cummins either. Can’t speak for the previous generations.

·
Registered
2020 Laramie EcoDiesel
11 Posts
I started noticing this months ago on my 2020 and first thought it was psychological but as the weather warmed up I've noticed it more and more often. Wasn't sure if it was weather related or mileage related (restricted DPF) or a combination of the two. It's extremely annoying to have that dead feel, then as described you have to really get into the throttle to pull it out of this state but then it wants to surge all at once, no real modulation.

This is literally the only thing I don't like about the truck and to begin with it had better response than my GDE tuned '14 eco.

Patiently waiting for a GDE solution and have been considering the pedal commander also.

·
Registered
2020 Ram 1500
6 Posts
I noticed it when I bought the truck but lately its gotten worse. Also I have the sprint booster and the lag is still terrible.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts