RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Group

So this morning I am returning to US of A via "rainbow bridge" ( Niagara Ontario ) from driving across Canada ( drove north from Idaho into Montana, crossed at the "Port of Tuner" Saskatchewan. Great weather ( 1/2 day of rain in Eastern Manitoba ). No Problems.

After re-fueling on Grand Island get back on the ( 2nd pair of narrow bridges connecting GI NY to rest of NY ) 190 heading for the 290 on the down slop scan my dash and "service electronic throttle" flash's briefly then everything shuts down in very short order ( several other lights appear, however I only have momentum as my acquaintance ( co-pilot is Fear, however everything happened in under 2 minutes maybe less ) so did not "grasp" everything lighting up ) and barely get the truck onto the shoulder. Just ahead is mile marker N14 and I sit just in front of the 190/290 1/2 mile ahead highway sign.

Tow truck driver has 18 years local time and has not had this issue present to him ( not in the winter and not on the upslope of those bridges, so things could have been worse ). New for him was having to leave the "key" in ignition "on" to keep the transmission in neutral so as to be dragged onto the flatbed otherwise transmission would return to "park",

So is this post in the right place or should it be moved? I searched for throttle posts and came up with some under general discussion. Electrical forum or is there a better location?

Dealer here in Tonawanda is closed on Sunday so Monday more information "may" be available.

Terence

·
Registered
345 Posts
Mine did this at about 11,000 kilometers and resolved itself in about 2 minutes. I drove it to the dealer who said there was an SB on this issue and flashed my ECM with an update. I am now at 33,000 with no repeat.

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
You should have pulled that panel off the dash, above the parking brake. Under it is the lever to disengage the transmission. It's in the book. That tow-truck driver might have a lot of experience time but does not have the right experience or knowledge. Neither do you.

If you need a tow, hand the owners' book to the tow-truck driver and step back to see if he can read it and understand.

Sure hope your truck is fixed and fixed right.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response(S).

The transmission reference is good to know about, will try and remember to check it out. Do wonder about the fixed after two minutes of basic waiting, or some resetting of the mechanism(s)?

The recent software update showed that I was pretty current, there are references to a throttle problem back in February that some had had, did not seem quite like my circumstances.

I realize from reading other RAM/EcoDiesel/Truck forums this afternoon that "Service Electronic Throttle" may cover a bunch of things.

So maybe there is or is "not" a reset button ( another metaphor? ), when I tried to start the truck just ( after the brick like glide to the side of the road, and waiting 5 minutes ) heard the starter motor whir/click before I stopped as I am clueless about potential damage. Tow driver asked me to try 45 minutes later when he showed up and same auditory feedback repeated itself.

By the way truck has 98XX miles, so was do meet the dealer for the 1st oil change.

Terence

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
idahostate/// Did you try starting the truck after it set for a few minutes. When mine went into limp mode I rolled to the side of the road and after a few minutes I restarted the truck and it drove just fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am the problem

Hello Group

Some how I put gasoline in my diesel.

Estimated $1000.00+ to clean Tank to injectors, will post the final amount.

T.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Hello Group

T.
You may want to submit a comp claim on your insurance. Gasoline is not good for the HPFP, and if it got into the cylinders, well, it could get ugly (and expensive) fast.

Reactions: TexasJoe

·
Administrator
8,906 Posts
Hello Group

T.
Sorry to hear this. Thanks for letting us know.

Contact your insurance like Sorny mentioned. Another member put DEF in his fuel tank and his insurance covered the repair.

Good luck getting it sorted-out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had a similar issue. Had to be flatbedded to a Dodge dealer. It turned out to be a connector that had worked its way loose. It took the tech about three hours to diagnose. It's been 10k miles since with no problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Final Cost ( unless I have gotten too old for fueling )

Hello Group

Diagnostics line item 112.00

Remove fuel Tank and clean ( entire fuel lines, flush of injectors ) same, line item 1000.00

Add 5 gallons of fuel apparently price of diesel was rolled into "parts" and not separated out.

Oil Change ( I was at 9800 miles and change so why not!)

Sub-Total came to 1350.73 and local taxes in NY added 118.19.

Total 1468.92 ( US dollars as of 29 September 2015 ).

I was called about 12:00 ( noon ) on the 28 September for approval, which I gave.

I was called and told the job was finished at 21:00 ( 9 PM ) same 28 September. I suspect that this may be a familiar protocol and/or I am not the only one recently to do "this".

Terence

1 - 10 of 10 Posts