RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry but this is a long post. I just need a place to vent all of my frustrations. I love this truck but at this point I am almost done with it and Ram.

So as some of you are aware but last week I was having some trouble with my truck in just about every sense of the word.

1) The stereo was going crazy. The Bluetooth was not working and calling people on its own.
2) The radio was calling itself an SRT instead of the ram logo.
2) The engine was throwing P0246 error code. Catalyst temp sensor.
3) The truck would vibrate violently when cruising under load.
4) Front and rear parking sensors are bad and going off all the time.
5) Service shifter message when starting the truck.

I brought the truck into a dealer on Monday June 23rd. They had the truck all day and could not come with an answer. They cleared the errors and reset the radio. Everything seemed ok, but the vibration was still there. The service tech said he could not recreate any of the problems.

Friday June 27th, I took a service tech for a ride in the truck. The truck did exactly what I had been describing. On the free way or any speed over 45. If you let the rpms drop to 1600-1800 and hold the speed with gentle throttle the truck would begin to vibrate. If you let the truck lug its way up in both rpm and speed the vibration would get so bad it would become difficult to keep the truck in its lane. Finally the dealer believed there was a problem.

Back at the dealership they set an appointment for Monday June 30th. I asked if they could just take the truck then and give me a rental. They said they did not have any openings until Monday and there was nothing they could do. This is were a lot of the frustration begins. I purchased into the business link program, basically they are to move the truck to the front of the line and get me a like vehicle to use for work. I could not get them to budge so I left to work.

Friday, June 27th, in the afternoon the truck began to make a very funny sound and then put itself into limp mode, leaving me stranded on the side of the road. I called the dealer and told them that I needed a tow truck and a rental. The service manger said he would take care of the rental but I would have to call ram roadside to get the tow. Tow truck picks me up and brings me to the dealer. When we arrive to the dealer the service department had no idea we were coming and the service manager I had called left early and did not take care of anything. Now it is 6:00 in the evening and all of the local rental places are closed. I ask the dealer what am I supposed to do about a rental or getting home. They informed me to call someone and get a ride. I explained that I felt that was unacceptable. So he had the nerve to ask if I bought the truck from them. When I told them no he again said "like I said there is nothing I can do now. You can come and get a rental tomorrow." So I called ram customer care. The lady on the phone did the best that she could with what she had to work with. I had to have a large SUV, truck or van for an event that I had to work at 6:00 the next morning. She convinced the dealer to give me a ride to a local Uhaul where she had arranged an econovan. The dealer was to drive me to the Uhaul shop and the give me a ride back to the dealer the next day when I brought back the Uhaul. This is not rams fault but Uhaul screwed up the reservation and game me a full sized Uhaul for the night.
image.jpg
This is the truck that they gave me. They did not have a smaller truck or smaller van for rent.

Saturday, June 28. I get done with my event and head back to the Uhaul place and drop off the giant truck. Call the dealer on the way to arrange a ride. They tell me that they don't have a way to get me because their shuttle service is going the other way. So while sitting at the Uhaul I was able to get my brother to pick me up and give me a ride to the dealer. While on the way I called the dealer to make sure that they have the rental set up. The weekend service manager had not yet called enterprise and then informed me that they are getting ready to close so I should head straight over to the rental car place and not to the dealership. So I get to enterprise and they are closed. As I am getting ready to leave a couple of the employees walk around from the back as they were closing up the lot. They never got the call from the dealership. The enterprise manager opened back up and gave me a rental for the weekend.

Monday, June 30th. The dealer calls and say that my truck is done. When I picked it up they inform me that the truck is not regenerating properly. It apparently has tried to regen over 250 times since I have owned it. The truck only has 9,000 miles on it. They did a few manual regens and called it good. When the truck came in it was over 80% full. When they were done it was less than 9%. The service tech informed me that he was not able to do anymore to the truck because Ram engineers wanted me to drive the truck until the CEL came back on then I was to bring it back in. That did not take very long. The CEL came back on that afternoon.

Tuesday morning, July 1st. I brought the truck back to the dealer to have them look at the CEL. The tech scanned it and informed me that the CEL codes were only pending faults and not actual faults. Until they moved beyond pending, he could not do anything with the truck. He asked me to drive it a few days and then bring it back to see if the faults had moved beyond pending. So drove the truck for a few more hours and when I go to leave a clients house my truck starts to display this.

So now the truck is at the dealer again and I get to drive a MINI VAN!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Very sorry to hear that ugly situation. Everything about it puts Ram in a bad light. I can't believe they want you to drive the truck in that condition. The dealer definitely sounds like one to avoid. Hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. According to the tech they are waiting for the truck to throw a specific code before they will let him do anything. I guess this is a known problem with the jeeps and 1500s and they are sort of using my truck as a guinea pig.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
It sounds like your main chassis computer has issues... and the dealer has a bunch of Jack-off's working there.

I'm sorry for the issues, but I'd be calling Ram direct, and complaining... AND... get names of everyone you talk to... and take notes. I'm thinking they owe you a new truck.

·
Registered
505 Posts
As an electronics tech for over 40 years I'm betting on a low voltage condition in the computer driving intermittent faults as the chips go bonkers. Once all is said and done the fault will be some simple fix. The sad part is it will aggravate the heck out of everyone, especially you, until the problem can be located and repaired.

·
Registered
396 Posts
this makes me a little concerned about my truck. Although it has not displayed the vibrating I did through a check engine light. when I scanned it showed the Catalyst temp sensor and something about too much time between regenerations. I had just started using a Bluetooth scanner plugged in all the time a couple of days before so I chalked it up to the scanner messing with things. I left the faults and unplugged the scanner. a couple of days latter I scanned and the faults where gone. yesterday it through a check engine again (I haven't had the scanner plugged in) when I scanned it was the same two faults. this time I cleared them. and as of today they haven't come back. I guess if they do I will make an appointment even though it sounds like they do not have a fix it will get another case on the books.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
First off, I feel for you that situation sucks balls! Second I would find a new dealer. Third I would at this point push for a whole new truck, there must be a lemon law in your state....f**k it! cut your losses and get a new one....if you read around by far the vast majority of owners have had Absolutely zero problems with their truck...I just wrote in another post not everyone is going to be perfect, and every once and awhile you get a really messed up one! (yours!)
If you wanna stick with ram I say dump it!!!!

·
Registered
940 Posts
Give the truck to the manager to drive until the issue is fixed. You take his. That usually gets things straightened out pretty fast when its his time wasted. Sorry to hear bout the problems and hope they figure it out fast.

·
Registered
1 Posts
RAM quality sucks people, just face it. This has to be the worst quality control I've seen on any new model roll out in recent memory, from any company. I've been talking about the need and waiting for a half ton diesel for many years. I have read everything I can find on this 2014 Eco-diesel since the earliest spy photos, and badly wanted one. At this point, there is not a chance in Hell I would buy one until the 2015 model year (In blind hope that they may have learned something from the thousands of complaints like yours).

We RAM owners shouldn't accept it like some co-dependent abused spouse. You guys all share a 40 item checklist like that's just normal. You share defects and blemishes like that's acceptable for a $55,000 + vehicle. A bumper that pops out, missed paint, defective window washers, awful smells, manifold bolts missing, just to mention a few minor things. You all state, it's a great truck, but.............

RAM isn't going to improve quality until enough people complain loud enough, or stop buying the crap they are dishing out. Sorry, we should all expect more. That's what's wrong with America today, no accountability at any level.

·
Registered
505 Posts
RamWiz, I don't know what you are driving but I'm on my 3rd Ram and over 100,000 trouble free miles. I couldn't be happier especially now that I'm getting 24mpg.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
RAM quality sucks people, just face it. This has to be the worst quality control I've seen on any new model roll out in recent memory, from any company. I've been talking about the need and waiting for a half ton diesel for many years. I have read everything I can find on this 2014 Eco-diesel since the earliest spy photos, and badly wanted one. At this point, there is not a chance in Hell I would buy one until the 2015 model year (In blind hope that they may have learned something from the thousands of complaints like yours).

We RAM owners shouldn't accept it like some co-dependent abused spouse. You guys all share a 40 item checklist like that's just normal. You share defects and blemishes like that's acceptable for a $55,000 + vehicle. A bumper that pops out, missed paint, defective window washers, awful smells, manifold bolts missing, just to mention a few minor things. You all state, it's a great truck, but.............

RAM isn't going to improve quality until enough people complain loud enough, or stop buying the crap they are dishing out. Sorry, we should all expect more. That's what's wrong with America today, no accountability at any level.
Trolling by chance?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Interesting first post...
That's putting it mildly! :rolleyes:

As I pointed out in another thread, Ram is near the industry average for new vehicle defects. Although Ram trails Ford and Toyota in quality for light-duty pickups during the first 3 months of ownership, the differences are small (about 0.1 defects per vehicle).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The reason I stuck with ram was because of my 09. I drove the piss out of it for more than 125k miles and not one issue other than the one or two I caused. My father is still driving his 94 diesel with over 200k and only one issue with the fuel pump and I would blame that on my brother in law for turning up the fuel pressure. Both of my uncles have an '06 & '07 diesels with zero problems.
As far as my truck goes I have everything documented and all the names written down. I have a case manager at Ram that is assigned to my case. It is a little frustrating because when I call ram directly no one can help me except transfer me directly to her. At the moment her solution is to make one months truck payment for me. In my opinion that is too small my monthly truck payment is only $331. I told her I would give it until the end of the week before I got an attorney involved to look at the issue of the lemon law.
We will see what the dealer has to say today.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
With the complexity of today's trucks it's amazing that there are so few problems!

When I traded in my 2003 it had 462 k on it....

·
Registered
37 Posts

I have had my Ram truck for 17 years with 254,000 miles and no problems worth talking about. Now about no other Co. having this kind of issues, I have a 20ft pontoon with 90hp outboard that was a piece of crap right from the get-go. The dealer was a jerk and is now out of business and a local shop helped me out. After months of fighting with carbs, going out and getting stuck on the lake and the Honda factory telling me to do this, do that.... I called Honda direct. The factory rep on the phone was a jerk also, when I said all my buddies with hondas & have no problems that I must have a lemon, he told me "sorry sir but Honda makes motors not lemons"! I was pissed now & demanded to speak to a supervisor & ripped his ass. Half hour later the repair shop called and said , "I don't know what you said but a new top end is on the way. Never had problems again. Hope you have the same luck with your truck problem.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Yep, interesting first post. There's also plenty of us here who are completely satisfied with our trucks, who do not have a 40 point list, etc. I've bought Fords that lasted for years, and Ford that had strange problems from day one that were NEVER resolved. RAM quality, ALL of Chrysler quality has greatly improved since Fiat bought them. I've owned enough Chrysler products over the years to know the difference. So you get lazy workers not doing their "protected" job and these folks affect quality regardless of the brand. Frankly, the best F-150 I ever owned was built in the Toronto plant. The one out of Detroit......................not so much. There are people who swear by Honda. The two I've owned, nothing but problems. However, I'll by their small engines and generators all day long. Making a generic comment that RAM quality sucks is pointless and non-productive.

Malinois - Contact the Chrysler Arbitration Board quickly so everything is documented.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I think his first post is spot on. We don't win wars by one persons valiant effort but rather by everyone working together.

·
Registered
391 Posts
agreed?? nothing in this world is perfect. its like complaining about cell phone companies. They all suck. But which one is the right amount of suck for you. If you are not happy with the quality of one brand. dont buy it. buy another. If everything was perfect there would be no room for improvement ever.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's all documented and all the names have been written down. I have even included the time that I have been inconvenienced and the number of my clients that have been inconvenienced.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts