RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 Ecodiesel with 31,000 miles. Dealer ordering parts for 3hr repair. Only other issue a coolant leak at 20,000. A clamp I believe.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Do you have pictures? I have/had a leak but they claim it's just a "wheep" and has stopped. I've always thought it was a timing chain cover leak.

He said they have to remove the radiator and capture and reuse the coolant. I would ask to pay for new coolant.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry no pictures. I shimmied under the front of truck just forward of the oil drain plug and noticed some accumulation of oil. It looked like the oil pan maybe leaking. I really could not determine the source of the oil leak, so I took it in to the dealer. they will fix it 10/18/19.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i had the same thing. They replaced the gasket and resealed. Started leaking again, took it back and my covers were actually warped. Replaced the covers and everything has been fine since. Ask them when you drop it off to make sure the covers aren't warped.

And I'll call their bullshit on a 3 hr fix, if it is the timing cover expect 2-3days

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
There is no gasket for the timing cover its sealed with rtv from the factory and is somewhat labor intensive to reseal, just cleaning off the old rtv is a pita.

·
Registered
575 Posts
i had the same thing. They replaced the gasket and resealed. Started leaking again, took it back and my covers were actually warped. Replaced the covers and everything has been fine since. Ask them when you drop it off to make sure the covers aren't warped.

And I'll call their bullshit on a 3 hr fix, if it is the timing cover expect 2-3days
Mines been done twice, there is no proper fix for this problem, mine still leaks. It is a 2-3 day affair each time.

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Take a peek at your coolant bottle. You talk of a leak in coolant. You talk of an oil leak probably from the timing cover. Well just check to see if there is any sign of a darkening in the lowering coolant bottle. You do not want to see a sign that coolant is gettin oil in it.

A timing cover repair is labor intensive. Expect that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have pictures? I have/had a leak but they claim it's just a "wheep" and has stopped. I've always thought it was a timing chain cover leak.

He said they have to remove the radiator and capture and reuse the coolant. I would ask to pay for new coolant.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It took a day and a half to repair the left upper timing chain cover. I have not been under the truck to check it out yet.
I hope it holds up until the new recall letter arrives.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts