RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer says my timing may have slipped, causing the no start/extremely rough when it does start condition.
My question, is timing chain slippage always fatal in the ecodiesel? There was no sudden stoppage or unusual metallic sounds when it suddenly began running roughly.

·
Super Moderator
4,156 Posts
If the timing gear slipped your probably one of the free that it's happened to. Despite the early on fear mongering about the timing gear slipping, it's a rarely reported occurrence.
The engine is of an interference design, meaning of the timing goes out of spec to far the pistons will smack into the valves. You probably wouldn't hear anything metallic hitting sounds but yeah it would run rough and/or no start

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
If your timing slipped and the engine is still in running condition, most likely you WILL hear a knocking sound ..

It’ll sound like a rod knock, because a valve/ valves are kissing the piston should be Very Distinctive...IMOP

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope it is only the crankshaft sensor or something simple. The dealer is racking up a pretty large bill in just exploratory B.S. so far.. I’m going to call Chrysler care tomorrow morning and try to open a case. The tech/service rep isn’t cutting it.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Don't let the dealer rip you apart, find a reputable diesel mechanic and let this forum help you with their findings..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On that note, anyone know of a good ecodiesel mechanic in Kentucky/Indiana? If I’m paying for every out of pocket, I’d rather not pay it to the dealer!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts