RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1500 ED Laramie w/16k on the clock; Currently sitting in the stealership waiting for my 2nd oil change. Service advisor tells me the tech found minor seepage from the timing cover, but not enough to be addressed as a leak so it's considered a "wait and watch" situation.
I don't abuse this truck so curious if such "seepage" is normal wear and tear or indicative of a known ED shortcoming. Since it can only be seen with a mirror and any larger drips (class 1,2 or 3) will be captured by any of the belly pans I may never notice an increasing problem.
How big a deal is this?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
It has happened to several. I wouldn't call it common, but its definitely not uncommon.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have 60k miles on my 2015 Outdoorsman. I've had a seep/weep towards the bottom on my timing chain cover for 30k miles. The dealer always stated to keep a watch on it but that it wasn't considered a full fledged leak. Supposed to be a big job that requires removing lots of parts and the repair is just some type of "RTC sealant" and not am actual gasket or O-ring. Many owners have had the repair fail and the leak continue.

I just dropped my truck off this Wednesday and the dealer is going to fix the timing chain cover leak that we've been watching and the EGR leak that I brought it in for.

45 day wait for the replacement EGR (current model not the updated version)and 9 owners ahead of me on the wait list. Supposedly they only get one or two EGR's every few weeks.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
The fromt timing cover is sealed with rtv from the factory and has a special rough finish designed for it. Its not uncommon for them to seap and if it gets worse it well drip on the ground.

·
Super Moderator
748 Posts
Mine also went in for the dreaded timing chain cover leak this past Monday. Dealer said it was all done Tuesday afternoon, now the truck won't start at the dealership. I really hope this isn't going to be one of these dealer shit shows.

·
Super Moderator
748 Posts
Now they tell me it needs a fuel pressure regulator. 3-5 days to get the part, what's next. Flux capacitor. I hear a Tundra beckoning me to go for a test drive.

·
Super Moderator
748 Posts
Update, new timing chain cover, then the truck wouldn't start, new fuel pressure regulator, 5 day wait for the part and an oil pressure sensor. $5500, thank god for warranty.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Jeez! Mine is having a timing cover leak fixed as we speak. Along with the leaking EGR replaced.

Was supposed to get it back this Friday. Hope I don't have any further issues like you did. ?

I agree, thank goodness that it's covered under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
748 Posts
Be prepared to get back a smelly truck, they must have spilled a bit of diesel doing the work. I don't want to do an engine shampoo at 0F, might turn into an icicle. Knock wood, so far so good.

·
Super Moderator
748 Posts
That would be an interesting attempt, something like wearing one size smaller underwear to keep the farts in. ? I don't know if the part they used is an updated improved part or just new old stock.

·
Super Moderator
748 Posts
Well it's round 2 for oil leaks. Not quite 500 miles/about 750km since the fix in mid Feb, go outside yesterday and there's another oil plop, engine oil more to the passenger side this time. Took it in, they are adding dye to the oil to see where it's coming from.

·
Super Moderator
748 Posts
Well, they kept it overnight, could not find any more leaking, gave it back to me and told me to drive it and keep an eye on it. So, in your travels, if you see an old phart on his hands and knees in every parking lot where he stops, probably just me looking for the ghost leak. So far it's not leaked again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts