RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
If you have a chance could you please post a picture of your chosen drilling location in the bumper. I may do this as well.
I followed all your recommendations (clear lacquer and Fluid Film).

I choose my mounting location for a few different reasons. (1) It's a flat area for good mounting (no bumper curvature). (2) It can be hidden by the OE license plate bracket, or maybe a flip-up license plate could be adapted. (3) The location is centralized in the event I choose to plug-in an onboard charger/maintainer/desulfator, or something else.

Reactions: Ecosparky

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'll be replacing the self-tappers with these bolts.

Reactions: sourdo

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
My block heater cord is OEM. It came with heat shield wrap and wiring loom up to a certain point. I finished the last few feet of cord with wiring loom. Originally, the cord was routed on the topside and came out between the hood and grille. I rerouted the cord to go under the air box and along the top of the frame. It was the perfect length.

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I might add you need a good drill motor, 1/2 inch with the extra handle to get a good grip. I used those small hole saws on metal before, if that bit grabs it can twist your wrist and hurt yourself. Going at a slow speed is great advice. I would never use a hole saw with a smaller drill motor without the extra handle.
You'll be happy to know that I used a cordless drill (with no handle) and it worked flawlessly. At low speeds, I didn't run into any issues with the hole saw bit grabbing. I also went nice and easy.

Reactions: sourdo

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Tonight was the first time I used the new block heater receptacle. It was nice not having to pop the hood to access the cord. It will be even nicer when I go to unplug in the morning!

Reactions: 97hmcs

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm not sure I understand, am I missing something? Why go through all that work when you can easily reroute the engine block heater to the left tow hook? It can be easily tucked away when needed?
Automotive parking light Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Tire

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I'm not sure I understand, am I missing something? Why go through all that work when you can easily reroute the engine block heater to the left tow hook? It can be easily tucked away when needed?
It mostly boils down to preference. With my setup, I can easily disconnect the extension cord and be on my way. With the factory setup, I had difficulty separating the two plugs when they were frozen together. I'm also planning to use the other pigtail for an on-board battery charger/maintainer/desulfator.

Reactions: 97hmcs

·
Registered
45 Posts
It mostly boils down to preference. With my setup, I can easily disconnect the extension cord and be on my way. With the factory setup, I had difficulty separating the two plugs when they were frozen together. I'm also planning to use the other pigtail for an on-board battery charger/maintainer/desulfator.
Most emergency vehicles (fire trucks, ambulances…) have their batteries plugged in so they are fully charged. When you start one of these vehicles the power cord is ejected from the plug automatically. I wonder if such a device could be adaptable to the block heater application?

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Most emergency vehicles (fire trucks, ambulances…) have their batteries plugged in so they are fully charged.
Onboard chargers are nice, especially if you have a lot of equipment to maintain. We've got two trucks, a tractor, riding lawnmower, travel trailer, and a dump trailer, so there's plenty of batteries to keep charged. The two batteries on the travel trailer are hooked to a solar panel. I need to get another solar charger for the dump trailer.

When you start one of these vehicles the power cord is ejected from the plug automatically. I wonder if such a device could be adaptable to the block heater application?
I have no idea or understanding how the cord is ejected, so I can't give you any thoughts. Interesting thought, though!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Onboard chargers are nice, especially if you have a lot of equipment to maintain. We've got two trucks, a tractor, riding lawnmower, travel trailer, and a dump trailer, so there's plenty of batteries to keep charged. The two batteries on the travel trailer are hooked to a solar panel. I need to get another solar charger for the dump trailer.

I have no idea or understanding how the cord is ejected, so I can't give you any thoughts. Interesting thought, though!
Kussmaul (standard auto eject) is one of the companies that make this device. It is wired into the starter circuit so that when you turn the ignition key (or press the fob start) it triggers a solenoid on the ejector and very forcefully ejects the power cord. I would post a link to the website but I don don’t know how to do that on this using this forum’s methodology.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts

For my dump trailer I set up the same Noco recessed male plug wired to an onboard Noco charger. Works great. The Deep Cycle battery that came with the Quality Trailer was less than quality. Died after 3 years even with this set up and thats with pulling the battery each winter and putting it on a Noco Genius tender in a heated garage.

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
For my dump trailer I set up the same Noco recessed male plug wired to an onboard Noco charger. Works great. The Deep Cycle battery that came with the Quality Trailer was less than quality. Died after 3 years even with this set up and thats with pulling the battery each winter and putting it on a Noco Genius tender in a heated garage.
I just replaced the factory Interstate flooded battery with an AGM. The flooded battery lasted 3 years, but I didn't do a good job of maintaining the water level. I went with an Orielly's AGM, so we'll see how long it lasts. If I don't get good life out of it, then I'm going with an Odyssey next time. I'll be replacing the factory built-in trailer charger with either a Noco Genius or BatteryMinder.

Reactions: Ecosparky

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,413 Posts
Very nice. Just don't forget to unplug it. Been there ....done that.
One of my fears too. I used to pop the hood on my Ecodiesel to plug in, with the hood unlatched you get a warning on the dash.

In the winter now and then you'll see someone driving down the road with a piece of extension cord whipping about.

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,413 Posts
Kussmaul (standard auto eject) is one of the companies that make this device. It is wired into the starter circuit so that when you turn the ignition key (or press the fob start) it triggers a solenoid on the ejector and very forcefully ejects the power cord. I would post a link to the website but I don don’t know how to do that on this using this forum’s methodology.
That is cool. And there are other colors too, ie, black.

Here is the website

21 - 40 of 40 Posts