RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, I’m new to the forum also a new eco diesel owner. Just picked up my 2022 from the lot today. That being said I just made the switch from gas to diesel. So I was just curious what routine maintenance I should keep up on to keep this truck running strong. I’ve seen some of the horror story’s with the 1st and 2nd gens performance issues and emissions systems failures. has anyone experienced any of these issues so far with the 3rd gens? Apparently the newly designed egr was supposed to correct a lot of these issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just don’t get too upset when you get passed up by a mini van or have trouble passing cars on two lane roads. The engine is great but is tuned horribly from the factory. A 3.0l duramax in the Silverado / Sierra will walk all over the ED in stock form. Otherwise, it gets excellent gas mileage, is extremely quiet and smooth, and tows great. The oil changes cost more and I believe the fuel filter needs to be changed every other oil change but don’t quote me on that.
Also, be careful at the pump. I’ve always owned gassers and almost put gas into this new RAM one time due to habit and not paying attention. That could be a very expensive mistake. I’m having my truck tuned by GDE since I read mostly great things about their tunes. Plus I need something that is epa compliant since my county requires testing every 3 years.

Otherwise, congrats on your new truck. You will love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it’s definitely not a hemi in terms of throwing you into the back seat when you stand on the pedal but so far I’ve been pleased with ultra smooth acceleration and ride. I’m switching from a worn out 2011 gmc z71 and that would jerk and it’s way three every gear so the smooth ride has been. I live in Indiana so no trouble with emissions here so at some point I will definitely be looking into tuning and possibly deleting it. Just don’t want to mess up my warranty’s while I’m able to take advantage of them.

·
Premium Member
2016 Laramie 4WD Delmonico Red
155 Posts
Great looking truck. I don't miss my hemi at all after getting the GDE compliant engine and transmission tune. You may have to wait a while to get a tune for the 2022 model. I'm sure GDE is working on it. As soon as it is available you should consider getting it installed as it made a big difference in my 2016.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Yes it’s definitely not a hemi in terms of throwing you into the back seat when you stand on the pedal but so far I’ve been pleased with ultra smooth acceleration and ride. I’m switching from a worn out 2011 gmc z71 and that would jerk and it’s way three every gear so the smooth ride has been. I live in Indiana so no trouble with emissions here so at some point I will definitely be looking into tuning and possibly deleting it. Just don’t want to mess up my warranty’s while I’m able to take advantage of them.
Hi: Thedude... My guess is I'm showing my age but the go slow works for me. Yep it ain't a hemi and it's good to remember that!!! I feed mine Mobil and Rotella T6 and not peanut oil & get great mileage for the size of it. The tranny is as smooth as a baby's ascend and the ride is just as smooth too. Bonus was I bought mine used w/ ext.'d B-B warranty, tow pkg., and airbags in the rear coils. I use it as a tow truck not a go truck!!!
Sky Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi: Thedude... My guess is I'm showing my age but the go slow works for me. Yep it ain't a hemi and it's good to remember that!!! I feed mine Mobil and Rotella T6 and not peanut oil & get great mileage for the size of it. The tranny is as smooth as a baby's ascend and the ride is just as smooth too. Bonus was I bought mine used w/ ext.'d B-B warranty, tow pkg., and airbags in the rear coils. I use it as a tow truck not a go truck!!! View attachment 91076
Is that your Escape 5.0? We looked at those (well, online) and they were in our final 5 when we were choosing a camper. How do you like it?

I could go for a 5th wheel, but don't want to commit my bed to it.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
I was just curious what routine maintenance I should keep up on to keep this truck running strong.
Follow the oil and filter change intervals listed in the owner's manual. I would also highly recommend running Hot Shot's Secret EDT fuel additive in each tank and run Hot Shot's Secret Diesel Extreme once every 12 months. If you plan to keep your truck for 15+ years, then I would change the transmission fluid at 65,000-mile intervals and do a drain and fill on the coolant at 50,000-mile intervals. Also, put a good charger, maintainer, and desulfator on your OE battery if you want it to last 2 - 4 years longer than it normally would.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Follow the oil and filter change intervals listed in the owner's manual. I would also highly recommend running Hot Shot's Secret EDT fuel additive in each tank and run Hot Shot's Secret Diesel Extreme once every 12 months. If you plan to keep your truck for 15+ years, then I would change the transmission fluid at 65,000-mile intervals and do a drain and fill on the coolant at 50,000-mile intervals. Also, put a good charger, maintainer, and desulfator on your OE battery if you want it to last 2 - 4 years longer than it normally would.
Anything special I should be doing for the cold weather Indiana will be having next week? It will be getting down to below 10 degrees Fahrenheit over night next week.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Anything special I should be doing for the cold weather Indiana will be having next week? It will be getting down to below 10 degrees Fahrenheit over night next week.
Do you have a block heater or front winter cover? My truck(s) are plugged-in using a timer. My timer is set to come on at 1:00 am. We leave for work by 7:30 am. That gives 6.5 hours for the heat to work its way through the engine for easier startups and quicker warmup.

I would encourage you to use the front cover when temps dip below 32*F, but it's not required. I typically don't worry too much about the front cover unless the temps get into the twenties.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Is that your Escape 5.0? We looked at those (well, online) and they were in our final 5 when we were choosing a camper. How do you like it?

I could go for a 5th wheel, but don't want to commit my bed to it.
Hi: nc beagle... Yes it's ours. We love it and so does the EcoD. It was the second of its kind in 2014 and weighs 4500#s loaded ready to camp. Tows like it's not even there. I committed the whole EcoD. to it but there's still room in the bed for odds-n-ends.
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you have a block heater or front winter cover? My truck(s) are plugged-in using a timer. My timer is set to come on at 1:00 am. We leave for work by 7:30 am. That gives 6.5 hours for the heat to work its way through the engine for easier startups and quicker warmup.

I would encourage you to use the front cover when temps dip below 32*F, but it's not required. I typically don't worry too much about the front cover unless the temps get into the twenties.
I do not have the block heater it looks like after reviewing the window sticker, I thought this was standard equipment on a diesel but apparently not. I do however have the secondary active grill shutters I believe this is supposed to act as the cover?

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
I do not have the block heater it looks like after reviewing the window sticker, I thought this was standard equipment on a diesel but apparently not. I do however have the secondary active grill shutters I believe this is supposed to act as the cover?
You'll want to get the block heater and cover. The active grill shutters are not designed to take the place of the cover. This link may help you: (35) No block heater? | RAM 1500 Diesel Forum

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 Tradesman commercial duty, CC, ED, 6'4"
65 Posts
I had dealer installed the cold weather kit (block heater, removal grill cover). My truck is garaged so probably don't need it, but I have a spare tire too :D

·
Registered
275 Posts
Block heater comes on all engines......you just have to purchase the heater cord. Passenger side of the block, look in through the wheel opening.....or did they omit it to save $23?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, im also new to diesel owner, just got a 2022 rebel diesel, at what temps should i plug it in? And what antigel should i use and at what temps?

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Hi, im also new to diesel owner, just got a 2022 rebel diesel, at what temps should i plug it in? And what antigel should i use and at what temps?
A lot of what you will hear are opinions and that's what I'm about to give you as well. I personally do not run anti-gel UNLESS temps dip into the signal digits. Diesel fuel that you buy at the pump should already be treated. The only caveat is if you were to add summer fuel to the tank in the winter, then that fuel won't be treated.

I personally plug in my truck when the temps dip down to freezing temperatures (32*F or below). I do this for faster warmups. I use a timer that activates the block heater at 1:00 AM. I leave for work at 7:30 AM. I like that my truck warms up quickly and cold starts are easier, especially when the temps get down into the single digits.

Reactions: SlowRoller

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I run the winter front on my 2017 all winter. Only if towing heavy and it's over 50F, do I remove it. I'll watch oil/coolant temps when towing.

·
Registered
220 Posts
From what I read... all the ecodiesels have the heaters installed, however the power cords were installed by the dealer like this one Amazon.com: Zerostart 3600116 Lit Plug Cordset for Engine Block Heaters, 5-feet | 120 Volts : Automotive

They may have possible changed this on the newer gen engines, I dont know. I bought my truck used and someone installed thier own cord which I found when changing my headlights.

The shutters were often added with the 8 speed trans but not always from what ive read.

Also, it wasnt really the EGR system alone that caused the older ecodiesel failures.. One of the main failures from what ive read was the main bearings, You can take some comfort in knowing the newer gen ecos have larger main bearings with more surface area and hopefully better machining to prevent the bulk of these failures on these new engines.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts