RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a 14 Ecodiesel longhorn for about 3 years. It's always had P275/55R20 tires on it. Now its time to buy new tires and I noticed the correct tire listed for the truck is P275/60R20. I'm getting 28-30 mpg on what I have now and am used to the speedometer being off a little. I don't do any towing and drive 75-80% highway. Wanting to keep my mpg up, any ideas on which size to go with and any recommendations?

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Remember, the stock tires are low friction for mileage. Many here don't like the SRAs for various reasons, but mostly quality. They worked for me and I never had any problems. But since I do go off road, I went with Goodyear kevlars on my second set. I can't see any difference in mileage and if there is, it's small. The truck seems to handle a bit better and and I see no difference in the ride. They may be a bit louder. Since I put them on, I have done dome off road over very rough rocky terrain without incident.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You realize that your mpg readings are inaccurate with smaller tires as the truck doesn't travel as far as it thinks it does?
Mine has 285/60R20 tires so it shows a little worse than it actually is. But they're an LT tire that's made for the weight

·
Registered
99 Posts
I can't comment on MPG effect, but I've been running Toyo Open Country AT IIs in 275/65/20 for many years now, they are superb tires. Little bit of road noise, and the LT makes for a slightly rougher ride...but they really work well. I got 50K+ miles out of my last set and if it weren't for the snow driving going completely to hell, I could have got at least another 10K from them (Wet was ok and dry was perfectly fine, even at that mileage).

I popped a new set on my ED just a few months ago...

·
Registered
13,206 Posts
Welcome to the forum - first post.

Went through two sets of P (passenger) rated tires on my '14 Ecodiesel and then wised up. Put a set of "E" rated Cooper Multi-Mile tires on and they lasted forever and looked brand new when I traded that truck. Never took a hit on fuel mileage, keeping things in the 26-29 mpg range normally. Did run 60 psi in them with what I thought was a good ride.

·
Registered
74 Posts
FWIW. I'm pretty sure any LT or AT tire will cause a loss in mpg. I went with Falken Wildpeak AT3 275/60R20, because I liked the look and blew out one of my SRAs', but had about a 3mpg loss.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I run the same as Tarheel above, at first I really liked the tire, but after putting approx 8k miles on them it seems the road noise has gotten worse at highway speeds and I’ve noticed a drop in mpg also.

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
873 Posts
I can vouch for Captainmal, I have the same E load Cooper Hwy tires. I run mine at 65 psi in summer, 60 for winter. The ride is fine too.

While towing I saw no mileage hit. Empty load maybe 1-2 mpg loss, but I can still get over 31 mpg though.

P rated tires are not the best for towing in my mind.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Buy at least a D rated tire. You won’t be sorry.
I put a set of BFG KO2 on and very pleased with the performance

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
If mileage is your main concern, watch the tire weight and try to keep it close to the 41 lbs of the oem tire.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts