RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Limited ED 3.92 33gal
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I got 30,000 miles on the factory Goodyear TAs but i may have been able to get another 5k to 10k miles but not going to chance it during the winter.

not a lot of all terrain tires available in the 285/45/22
Nitto has the terra and ridge grappler but are not m/s or winter rated.

Cooper has the discovery at3 but as usual pretty cheap looking tire.

Venom hunters look good but I’ve never heard of them. And no apparent respectable tire shop carries them.

then there is the Toyo open country ATiii. Never been a Toyo fan, but America/ discount tire matched a dealer buy 3 get 1 free offer. I’ll say they look pretty good for a 65k rated m/s and winter rated.

I’ll report thoughts after this1200 mile trip

can I get this thread moved to the wheel tire section thanks

BF3A8F6E-AB67-495A-B5FA-660BA76EA1F2.jpeg
AADA6314-8371-43D2-9850-2825F189070A.jpeg

Reactions: 97hmcs

·
Registered
238 Posts
Toyo's are good tires, I had a set on my 2016 Ram 2500 4x4, one thing I don't understand is why so many people are going to these huge rims and low profile sidewall tires, they ride rougher you have more a chance of damaging the expensive rims if you really do any off-roading, it just does not make any since to me.

But it is your truck and it is what you want so that is what matters in the end.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Perhaps but they (MS2/Defenders) suck off road. Ran through 2 sets of Michelin on my Ram....MS2 then Defenders and neither made it past 64k. They did provide me some decent warranty credit at DT for my AT3Ws that are at 8/32 with 86k.

Also their AT LTX2 tires had severe torque cracks in the sidewall on my EX years ago. For cars yes however after 5 different sets on 2 trucks not for me.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Toyo's are good tires, I had a set on my 2016 Ram 2500 4x4, one thing I don't understand is why so many people are going to these huge rims and low profile sidewall tires, they ride rougher you have more a chance of damaging the expensive rims if you really do any off-roading, it just does not make any since to me.

But it is your truck and it is what you want so that is what matters in the end.
hopefully the Toyo’s live up to the hipe and the price.

as far the 22’s go they are factory optioned, but I won’t waste any money on smaller rims unless these Toyos don’t perform. The 20”wheel definitely yields more tire options👍

I will say the 22” rides just as good as my 16 with the 20” wheel, the 22” definitely handles better and feels firmer.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perhaps but they (MS2/Defenders) suck off road. Ran through 2 sets of Michelin on my Ram....MS2 then Defenders and neither made it past 64k. They did provide me some decent warranty credit at DT for my AT3Ws that are at 8/32 with 86k.

Also their AT LTX2 tires had severe torque cracks in the sidewall on my EX years ago. For cars yes however after 5 different sets on 2 trucks not for me.
At3w is that the Falken? What tire/size ? 86k on a 55k tire and your not even at 50% tread wear, sounds a little to good to be true, unless your running the 10ply that start at 18.4/32 then it could possible if you never had a load behind you?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Yes, 10 ply E rated 305 55 20 (33/12.5-20) and they are fantastic. Lost 2 mpg from the OEM sized tire however they started at 18.5 or 19 and honestly hoping for 125-150k then that runs makes me money.

Prior has MS/2 then Defenders and they both failed by 64k giving me warranty allowance. Have put the AT3w on my Excursion where they belong so we shall see on an 8k beast.

Reactions: Jkcamino

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So after the first 1200 mile trip, I can say I like the Toyo open country AT III. Good looking tread design, Quite for an AT tire, smooth ride, handling feels better than factory Goodyear’s ( of course). and it finally looks like I have a truck tire on👍

also no effect on fuel economy! Mph is also dead on👍

1 - 9 of 9 Posts