RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
I just put on a brand new set of shoes for the old girl yesterday. I ended up getting Nitto Crosstek 2’s in the factory size. No MPG loss today on my drive to and from work. Very happy with them so far, and they only ran me 750.00 out the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
The door sticker is only good for the OEM tires. Look on the tire itself for pressure rating...………...

I have 35's on mine ED now and the max tire pressure is 65psi cold. Currently running 50psi. Will air up to 65psi when towing the TT.

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
997 Posts
These LT E rated Cooper tires can be pumped up to 80 psi. Might be great for mileage, but you would sure "feel" the road.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Ive put double the rated payload in the back of my truck with the E-range coopers pictured above at 55 psi and they handle it fine.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The door sticker is only good for the OEM tires. Look on the tire itself for pressure rating...………...

I have 35's on mine ED now and the max tire pressure is 65psi cold. Currently running 50psi. Will air up to 65psi when towing the TT.
The rating on the tire is for max load. If you are not running it fully loaded you will not wear your tire evenly and it will make your ride harsh. The psi must be adjusted to match the tire contruction (size and # of plys) and the amount of load on the tire. If your tires are equivalent to the OEM tires, the sticker psi will be close to the correct pressure.

If you really want to dial the pressure in, the chalk test is the best way. Higher MPG’s doesn’t necessarily indicate the correct pressure, just less rolling resistance.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I would reccomend when towing, go 5-7psi under max rating. The psi will increase as they heat up from heavy use.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Stiffer ride, less sidewall flexion, less energy lost both starting and stopping.
Like a bicycle there's a point where road contact is lost with to much pressure, but under a 7,000lb vehicle I wonder what that point would be?
the point would be to wear the tire, whatever it is evenly and an E tire at max inflation is likely to wear the middle out on a lightly loaded truck.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I would reccomend when towing, go 5-7psi under max rating. The psi will increase as they heat up from heavy use.
I’m pretty sure the cold max PSI rating on the side of the tire takes that increase due to heat generated during use into account.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I’m pretty sure the cold max PSI rating on the side of the tire takes that increase due to heat generated during use into account.

the maximum pressure on the sidewall is cold pressure. It expects and allows for increases due to heating up of the tire. That said the pressure should be appropriate for the weight on the truck so the tire wears evenly. I use a tread gauge to measure tread depth to monitor how it wears. Others have recommended the chalk test and I think that is also a good way to determine the appropriate pressure too.

·
Registered
481 Posts
the point would be to wear the tire, whatever it is evenly and an E tire at max inflation is likely to wear the middle out on a lightly loaded truck.
If they were bias ply tires I would agree, Radials spread the load, and max sidewall inflation on a 7,000lb truck with a radial tire shows no tread wear differentiation, yet the handling characteristics of the vehicle are better for mpg's and safety.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts