RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I’m new to the forum and I’m looking at a 2018 Eco Diesel with 19,000 miles on it and all recalls have been completed. I’ve been doing my research and have been going back and forth about if I should buy it or not.

I have a 20 minute drive to work and pull a 6,000 pound boat on the weekends. I put roughly 13,000 miles on a vehicle every year. With that being said I keep my cars for years and the idea of a 1500 diesel has always intrigued me.

When I do research outside of this site I was very turned off but coming in here and seeing that not every truck is a ticking time bomb really has opened my eyes.
My thinking would be to either buy the truck and get an extended warranty, buy the truck and once the warranty is up delete it or just walk away. I’d rather not do the last one.

I‘m not asking for advice because we are all in different situations, but I’m asking for any things I should look for or any tell tale signs of engine failures.

Thank you in advance and appreciate the respect of the forum.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
3,252 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

A 20 minute commute is enough time to get to full operating temp which is good. You will enjoy the fantastic 8 speed and low rpm torque of the diesel when towing that boat. The low first gear will walk your boat right up the ramp at 2k with no drama and very little throttle. This always puts a smile on my face compared to pulling the boat with my son in laws old 4.6 Triton Ford. Lol he recently bought a 17 ED BTW and is towing the boat a 5 hour ride with his sons 4 wheeler in the bed today.

The EGR cooler should be upgraded to the new design per warranty recall. I would make that a condition of sale that this must be done before you take delivery. Otherwise I would buy the truck and get a tune with the engine brake option which you will appreciate the first time the boat trys to push you down a grade. Technically a basic tune can void warranty practically speaking not so much.

A good Ram dealership that sells & services a lot of diesel trucks won't mind the tune at all but frankly they don't want to be told its there. You typically won't have emissions problems or check engine lights post tune. Signs of engine failure.. I don't think there are any. Do a tune, change oil & filter and Mopar fuel filter per warranty and don't worry about engine failure you have 80,000 miles of warranty should you be in the 4 or 5 percent that fail by 100k. Just my opinion. Enjoy the truck. Oh and don't try to outsmart the engineers hit the tow haul button anytime you are towing as its best for your transmission and the engine.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,412 Posts

I will add the truck should have the Hill Start Assist that will help keep the truck from rolling backwards like when launching/retrieving a boat. It temporarily hold the brakes or till the accelerator is depressed. Works well so there no need to two foot it pulling out of the launch.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Welcome and it's good you are doing some research before a purchase. Is this from a dealer or private party? Also a request for some service records in either situation might be in your best interest as well. I have the extended warranty, but only a 5 year / 100k option as I drive about 20k a year and am still looking at tuning, just not removing the EGR or DPF. I'm in that boat as VernDiesel described of looking to tune and just not telling the dealer about while swapping back to the factory tune for any visits. So far my 2018 has had zero issues in 28k of driving outside of a coolant line that somehow came off my transmission. Luckily I was very close to a dealer when it happened and got it in just as the warning lights came on. A couple of days later, new coolant, multiple pressure tests, and I was up and running with zero issues since.

I believe you will be just fine towing your boat with the truck and will have zero issues as VernDiesel stated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys for the detailed replies. Many of my concerns have been answered.

I have been pulling the boat with a 5.7 Hemi and gas mileage is horrible, that’s one of the main reasons for the switch. I’m also hoping to get past 150,000. My current Hemi just got to 145,000 and having transmission issues. Time to upgrade!

Once again thank you for the info!

·
Registered
740 Posts
You will like the Eco Diesel. I traded my 300,000 mile 05 hemi Ram in on mine. Loved the hemi, but the Eco Diesel beats it in about every area. OK, not in a quarter mile, but..

·
Registered
2016 longhorn 4X4 bone stock
45 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I’m new to the forum and I’m looking at a 2018 Eco Diesel with 19,000 miles on it and all recalls have been completed. I’ve been doing my research and have been going back and forth about if I should buy it or not.

I have a 20 minute drive to work and pull a 6,000 pound boat on the weekends. I put roughly 13,000 miles on a vehicle every year. With that being said I keep my cars for years and the idea of a 1500 diesel has always intrigued me.

When I do research outside of this site I was very turned off but coming in here and seeing that not every truck is a ticking time bomb really has opened my eyes.
My thinking would be to either buy the truck and get an extended warranty, buy the truck and once the warranty is up delete it or just walk away. I’d rather not do the last one.

I‘m not asking for advice because we are all in different situations, but I’m asking for any things I should look for or any tell tale signs of engine failures.

Thank you in advance and appreciate the respect of the forum.

Mike
i'm kinda in the same boat, i have owned several diesels, but was a little apprehensive :oops: , i bought at a good deal (2016) from family w/o the egr recall having been done, well since family member was buying a new 2020 that kind of boosted my thinking on the truck if he had enough confidence to buy another(y), it must have been a decent truck and so far loving it, just had the VB1 recall done, i don't really understand i have a friend that tell me they are still waiting on parts, but the dealer that he bought at and had the part on order called me Monday and said parts were in....so i guess my good fortune, but i am planning on a full delete, because from what i am reading/hearing the emissions stuff is what kills most of these trucks:cry:, truck w/mixed driving is showing 23.5 MPG and runs and pulls great, really liking it so far(y)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the boost of confidence.

i'm kinda in the same boat, i have owned several diesels, but was a little apprehensive :oops: , i bought at a good deal (2016) from family w/o the egr recall having been done, well since family member was buying a new 2020 that kind of boosted my thinking on the truck if he had enough confidence to buy another(y), it must have been a decent truck and so far loving it, just had the VB1 recall done, i don't really understand i have a friend that tell me they are still waiting on parts, but the dealer that he bought at and had the part on order called me Monday and said parts were in....so i guess my good fortune, but i am planning on a full delete, because from what i am reading/hearing the emissions stuff is what kills most of these trucks:cry:, truck w/mixed driving is showing 23.5 MPG and runs and pulls great, really liking it so far(y)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Buy it, drive it, and be impressed....fear is for the weak. You will thankful you did.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts