RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

New to the forum and a heavily conflicted potential eco buyer. With yesterdays news about the demise of the eco, my on-the-table paperwork for a 22 Laramie Eco 4x4 is in jeopardy. I just don’t know if I can confidently swap to Ram from my Chevy with their abandonment of the motor. I’ve read the numerous problem threads but was gonna give it the ole fashion try. Now I’m not so sure I don’t need to wait on the LZO from GM.

I occasionally pull a 50 horse John Deere, but this is more about the fact that I have and always will want a full size diesel, and this is the compromise—good fuel economy and the ability to tow my tractor. I know I could get away with a hemi, etc, but this is more about my idiosyncratic desire for a diesel. That said, if the truck is a reliability nightmare and its resale is gonna tank in 3 years, I’m not sure it’s what I need to buy.

So here’s my Q: in my shoes, what decision do you make between buying the eco now ($56kOTD on a Laramie) or waiting for the LZO, which GM is clearly dumping money into and which doesn’t seemed plagued by as many frightening issues (I know there are issues) as the oil leaks, etc., described on this forum.

Thanks for any help. Lot of money to fork over for a truck and I’d love to just hear general thoughts.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I mean it's your money, not really a decision we can make for you. I know I would be more comfortable in the Laramie as GM trucks are just not comfortable. The Gen3 ED engines have been great overall, are you maybe thinking of Gen2 engines that had more issues? They will have to honor any warranty even if the engine is no longer in the RAM so if I was buying a new Ram ED I'd get the longest warranty possible for a little piece of mind (of course I'd buy it online and not through a stealership).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean it's your money, not really a decision we can make for you. I know I would be more comfortable in the Laramie as GM trucks are just not comfortable. The Gen3 ED engines have been great overall, are you maybe thinking of Gen2 engines that had more issues? They will have to honor any warranty even if the engine is no longer in the RAM so if I was buying a new Ram ED I'd get the longest warranty possible for a little piece of mind (of course I'd buy it online and not through a stealership).
I’m generally aware that the Gen3 is much improved—a big selling point, for sure. Last night, though, I read a fair amount about oil leak issues and, when combined with the cancellation of the motor, it spooked me.
You’re absolutely right about Ram being more comfy. Im 6’4” and it makes a massive difference.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,545 Posts
I have a 2015. I like almost everything about the GM more. The revised GM sounds like a beast.
I would hands down go to the gm, either the current model or the new motor over the ram. And that is coming from a very satisfied ecodiesel owner, I just think GM executed their truck way better. I may be a minority but I prefer the 10 speed to the zf as well.
My father in law has a 2021 Chevy I have driven in and actually driven quite a bit, I like it a lot!

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 ED Laramie 4x4 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,688 Posts
When I bought my 17, the comfort differences between the GM and the Ram was night and day. GM trucks were stiff and unforgiving in both ride and seats. Ram (Laramie) had a very smooth ride and the leather seats were about as comfortable as my recliner. In 60k+ miles, I've had a few issues that ended up being fairly minor but still love the truck. If I were looking at a new truck and had to have a diesel, I'd go up to a 2500. I think the ride differences will equal out by going to a heavy duty so then it just comes down to $$$.

To the op: the choice is still yours. I wouldn't shy away from buying a ED. My other car is a 2010 VW diesel and they haven't sold any of those in North America since 2015. No issues with parts or service.

·
Registered
311 Posts
You're right, tough decision... My truck is in my sig below. Drove my boss' 2022 top of the line Sierra 4 hrs to meeting a couple weeks back. It had plenty of power & bells n whistles. Ride was decent, but suspension seemed super soft compared to my air suspension. So much so that it felt like it would bottom out over rougher highway bumps. I would like to drive a different model to see if suspension is better.

The choices are dwindling... no more Titan, Colorado/Canyon, F150, now Ram. Funny how quickly things change. 8-9 yrs ago everyone was "racing" to put diesel in 1/2T, now they will just be a memory. Hmmm... wonder if we will see the same events for electric trucks/vehicles?????

·
Registered
188 Posts
I do not have any brand loyalty although if I were buying a 3/4 or 1 ton truck I'd pick the cummins, but there is no way I will buy the last year of production of an engine and likewise will never buy the 1st year of a new platform, don't want to be anybody's Guinee pig, that said I now have 3 acquaintances that own the baby D, they have all been happy with their purchases, Alos have a life-long friend that has one of the little ford diesels, both seem to be solid performers, sadly the ford is experiencing the same fate it looks like the Ecodiesel will suffer, my feelings about the Eco leaving is the feeling of being "abandoned" granted diesels are not for everyone but you can see from evidence on this forum that those that own them have some strong loyalty when you feel like you're somewhat supported:confused:

I love mine, but the future of owning one is definitely clouded :unsure:

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
My 2017 has been perfect for almost 150,000 miles. I guess if it was a baby Duramax, I'd be getting ready for a timing belt replacement. That is the only thing that bothers me about the GM. My dealer has a new Bighorn Ecodiesel in stock, when I saw the sticker, my old 2017 looked pretty good. My 2 cents, go with the GM.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,783 Posts
Nuts to comfort interiors. Had you seen my mud-filled interior after working my tractor for three days in the rain you would not want something fancy. I had to literally hose out my interior last week.

You buy a truck to work, play and pull that big tractor. A 50 hp Deere is not small. If the GM can pull it, fine. Your desire for a diesel with that heavy tow means you want a full-size diesel.

Can you learn how to spell Cummins?

·
Registered
2019 RAM 1500 Classic Tradesman 4X2 EcoDiesel
646 Posts
Hello all,

So here’s my Q: in my shoes, what decision do you make between buying the eco now ($56kOTD on a Laramie) or waiting for the LZO, which GM is clearly dumping money into and which doesn’t seemed plagued by as many frightening issues (I know there are issues) as the oil leaks, etc., described on this forum.

Thanks for any help. Lot of money to fork over for a truck and I’d love to just hear general thoughts.
You could get better advice if you gave us an idea how much the GM would cost. I haven't tried to figure out the cost of comparable models from the big three because it's so hard to know what is comparable. It has seemed to me over years that RAM TV ads seemed to be offering bigger discounts. Of course, current shortages have muddied the waters. I got 45% off on my ED in early '20, so no complaints.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have a 14 Eco and love it. Was looking forward to a new one but found the newly updated sierras. I have a 23’ 1500 Sierra with the 3.0 Duramax on order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is what part of me would like to do, but my wife would kill me:oops: I definitely prefer the front end looks of the GMC to the Chevy!

·
Super Moderator
4,083 Posts
22k miles my son absolutely loves his 2022 ED. Has an aftermarket tune. Loves it. IMO get the turbo brake option & have it bumped up a bit to be strong. Control speed in the hills with that tractor will make you smile. You can’t tune GMs.

Son runs interstate a lot at 74 mph regularly sees 30+ mpg. Has 3.21 which I suggest unless that tractor 🚜 & trailer is like 9k plus & you tow it often or in hills. then you would really will appreciate the 3.92. Just know the 3.92 will cost you mpg on the interstate. Plus just because Ram has made a decision to fill 1500s with their new 3.0 gas motor does not mean this recently heavily investment updated improved engine is going away.

I say follow through with your plan and buy the truck.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,545 Posts
I don’t know if the GM can or can’t be tuned but in stock form it beats my tuned ecodiesel in every way. Better mileage pulls harder and is faster and snappier off the line.

I feel like I have seen tuned ones on the inter web also.

·
Super Moderator
4,083 Posts
You have old gen

·
Registered
2019 RAM 1500 Classic Tradesman 4X2 EcoDiesel
646 Posts
22k miles my son absolutely loves his 2022 ED. Has an aftermarket tune. Loves it. IMO get the turbo brake option & have it bumped up a bit to be strong. Control speed in the hills with that tractor will make you smile. You can’t tune GMs.
Are you still running the Gen 2? It seems like your mileage would make you a candidate for the higher MPG and apparent better reliability of the Gen 3. Now that the end of the Gen 3 is in sight, it seems like you'd want to be sure to have one on the way. Why can't the GMs be tuned? Is that just because they haven't been around as long?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts