RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,083 Posts
Yes I still have the gen 2. Son not towing routinely gets 5 to 6 mpg better than mine. Part of that is 3.21 vs 3.92.

Yes GM 3.0 good for stock. Stage 2 you can get up to 80HP & up to 140 TQ according to EOC website. It’s 280 HP 480 TQ stock. This would dust the Duramax. Don’t get me wrong I am a fan of the truck despite no longer being a fan of GM / GM management.

Now that the intercooler has been moved so the radiator can get more and fresh ambient air the ED will really tow. With an EGT to watch temps it should really pull with that kind of tune.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well, I pulled the trigger. 2022 Ram Laramie eco. Got good trade in, well under MSRP, and 0% for 6 years. Hard to turn down all that for the uncertainty of the GM. Going to level/tires and tint it, and leave it alone.

I will say. It seems to be somewhat “hard starting.” It likes the ignition to be on beyond when the glow plug light turns off before cranking. Dealer says this is normal, but I find it odd

·
Registered
2018 RAM 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel
79 Posts
I will say. It seems to be somewhat “hard starting.” It likes the ignition to be on beyond when the glow plug light turns off before cranking. Dealer says this is normal, but I find it odd
That's how 2nd gen works too from a cold start. Turn key. Watch glow plug light turn on, turn off. After a second or two, the engine finally turns over. Warm starts are instantaneous.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 ED Laramie 4x4 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,690 Posts
Glow plug timer is fully dependent on outside temp. In summer, you may never notice the light come on, it's that fast. In the winter, it will take a few seconds to warm the cylinders prior to firing. Since your truck is new, it might be burning some gunk off the glow plugs or just learning the starting procedure. I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets to the point of s=wonder if you can get there faster by walking.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
@sumfarmer , if you live in a cold climate, you might want to plug her in for a couple hours before starting, like when it's below freezing and get a winter front. At 0F and colder, it makes quite a difference. I usually put my winter front on in late October and leave it on until April, btw in Maine. Congrats on the new Ecodiesel.

Reactions: 97hmcs
21 - 29 of 29 Posts