RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took delivery of my special ordered 2020 ecodiesel today, it's like Christmas came early.

The truck is a 1500 longhorn, crew cab, 4x4, 5'7" bed, 33 gal tank, air ride, level -1 package, brake controller, protection package, limited slip w/ 3.92 gears, engine block heater, gen-3 ecodiesel, bright white, black/new saddle leather interior, split tailgate.

I had a good day at the dealership with everything going smoothly including the owner of the dealership dropping by to say thanks for the business & congratulating me on getting the first 2020 ecodiesel sold by them.

Overall I'm very pleased with the truck & the engine at this point and by first blush I'm very happy with the way it drives & performs. The truck had 41 miles when I drove it off the lot, the engine was cold when I started out with a 33f ambient temp. I didn't notice any throttle lag or dead petal feel like I did with my 2014 ED when it was cold before the GDE tune. Once it was warmed up I still couldn't feel any lag, but I am babying it also.

My dealer is only about ten miles from where the TFL truck guys do their MPG loop tests, so I decided to take the truck for a quick drive to see what it drives like and what kind of MPG it would get when it was brand new. I did the exact TFL loop without doing the pump test & just using the on-board system for mileage calculation. I reset the trip A & Instant mileage to zero and then set the cruise control at the speed limit of 75 MPH to simulate real world hiway driving. I had a clean 96.2 mile run with a slight crosswind at approximately 5000ft in elevation, it produced a flat 25.0 MPG. I feel that's not bad for a brand new truck that had less than 150 miles on it at the end of the run. In case anyone is interested the engine turns 2100 RPM @ 75mph with the 3.92's & the 3.92's are the only ratio you can get with the Gen-3 ED.

I'm pleased and am absolutely impressed with the ride quality, drivability and interior on this one, it's very quite on the hiway with no perceivable engine noise @ hiway speeds.. I'll report more as I drive it & get used to it and am planning on taking it for a mountain drive fairly soon which will include the Ike Gauntlet.

So Far-So Good :) :cool:

·
Administrator
8,391 Posts
Congrats and best of luck with the new truck. Keep reporting! I didn't realize the 33 gal tank was available on the 2020 ED. That will offer an extended range for sure.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Now all you have to do is post a picture or 2

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
WOW 33g? That is theoretically a 900+ mile range...impressive. I believe with the learning curve this new engine and def system will be a winner.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Last time I tried, the 33 gallon tank was not an option with the ED on the RAM Build and Price website.

So, it sounds like the 33 gallon option is something that is definitely available when ordering from the Dealer, but not yet showing up on the RAM Build and Price website?

Anyone else able to order the 33 gallon option on a 2020 ED?

Cheers,
Bryan

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I ordered the truck on 10-14-'20 after it was mostly built it was put into storage status at the factory waiting for the split tailgate. Apparently they were having some lag in the supply chain with the new tailgates. The truck hit town mid-week last week, but it needed prepped by the dealer & have a clear bra installed. I could have picked it up yesterday, but had to wait until this morning. So it looks like a little under two months even with the wait for the tailgate.

The 33 gal tank is real and is listed on the window sticker in the option column.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Bryan: I see the 33 gallon tank on the ram website. It might vary by model. Site is silly that way!

Hope the TFL guys don't spot you. They're going to have to redo their tests with a 3.92 rear end.

Doing the IKE is on my bucket list. Most likely if I go to a rally in Moab.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Nice. I wanted to see what Rims it comes on because if I go 2020 I am making mine white as well.

·
Registered
458 Posts
BtW add RamBoxes and that is exactly what I would order.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nice! Congratulations. I ordered mine on Nov. 13th and am anxious to see when it will arrive. I was told 8-12 weeks when I ordered.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Looks great, congrats, I hope they have some of the bigger issues figured out.

I think TFL does their mpg tests at 70 mph don't they?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think you're correct about the TFL guys doing their testing @ 70 mph. I've always wondered why when they talk up real world testing. IMO; most people will drive the posted speed limit "or more" when not towing or heavily loaded. I did 75 mph because that's the way I drive in the real world & I wanted to see what the rpm's & mpg were at the posted speed limit of 75.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Maybe because not all HWY's are 75 mph?

I personally almost never drive 75 or faster. One reason I can get over 30 mpg doing 65 or so, at 75 im in the upper 20's or less. I bought this thing because of the fuel mileage so I take as much advantage of it as I can. I don't need to get anywhere a minute or two faster.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bryan: I see the 33 gallon tank on the ram website. It might vary by model. Site is silly that way!

Hope the TFL guys don't spot you. They're going to have to redo their tests with a 3.92 rear end.

Doing the IKE is on my bucket list. Most likely if I go to a rally in Moab.

Thanks. I'll go back and look again for the 33 gallon option on the website.

I wonder what differences would show up if the TFL guys redo their tests (both their "towing" test and their MPG test) with a 3.92 rather than the 3.55 that was in the truck they were given to test.

Wonder if the 3.92 compared to the 3.55 will show any difference in the number of brake applications they need to maintain 60 mph or less on the downhill portion of their towing test? In their original test with the 3.55, they only needed to apply brakes a total of 4 times. Note: When they tested the new GMC/Chevy Diesel, they had to apply the brakes 8 times, and that was with the Exhaust Brake engaged.

Also, I wonder if the EPA Mileage Test/Estimate was done with the 3.55 (which is what appears to have been in their early release, pre-sale units that were made available for testers, etc.) or the 3.92?

Cheers,
Bryan

1 - 20 of 41 Posts