RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Anyone have the torque specs for the oil pan drain plug and the oil filter housing (in pounds) ?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I'd be careful torqueing the drain plug to 33 ft lbs. I believe that there was a recent post from someone who stripped their drain plug trying to torque it to factory specs. I don't use a torque wrench, and doubt if many do. Just snug it up good and you are set to go.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have to respectfully disagree about not using a torque wrench, especially on a bolt like engine oil drain that gets relatively frequent use. Using a torque wrench is exactly how you keep from damaging the threads. People claiming their torque wrench caused damage may be using it wrong or not periodically calibrating it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
33 is what the book says , at my age , and number of bolts turned in my life , I think it approches dangerous
zone at 33 Ft/lbs , over the decades you develop a feel for this , I own many torque wrenches , confess I don't always use them ,
might get screamed at for this opinion , but , thumb on wratchet , and 2 fingers on the handle
will do it for me , could be 1 finger for someone else , experiment for decades and you'll get it .
of course bolts like : cylinder heads , moto clutch baskers , precision required / mandatory ...
not so much on a drain plug , lug nut , my opinion only .

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have to respectfully disagree about not using a torque wrench, especially on a bolt like engine oil drain that gets relatively frequent use. Using a torque wrench is exactly how you keep from damaging the threads. People claiming their torque wrench caused damage may be using it wrong or not periodically calibrating it.

...or possibly not storing it properly by releasing the tension.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My drain plug and oil pan have a factory paint mark so I just line those up and it's quite snug by then. As for the filter I just twist it in until the 2 seams are touching and then go a touch further. Remember with the filter housing you're using plastic threads so you don't want to giver her too much ass.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My drain plug and oil pan have a factory paint mark so I just line those up and it's quite snug by then. As for the filter I just twist it in until the 2 seams are touching and then go a touch further. Remember with the filter housing you're using plastic threads so you don't want to giver her too much ass.
Intending no offense to any one person, this is exactly why I advocate using a torque wrench. There is no limit to the imaginary measurements that people will use for torque.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Intending no offense to any one person, this is exactly why I advocate using a torque wrench. There is no limit to the imaginary measurements that people will use for torque.

None taken, and I'm not saying I would never use a torque wrench. If I were rebuilding an entire engine, sure, use the specs. But for these things it just isn't necessary, IMO.

·
Registered
152 Posts
You got to love the internet, I come here to find the torque spec on the oil drain pan and there is an argument over whether you should use a torque wrench on it...lol :eek:

Reactions: markcfoster

·
Registered
152 Posts
You got to love the internet, I come here to find the torque spec on the oil drain pan and there is an argument over whether you should use a torque wrench on it...lol :eek:
I put the torque wrench on it after I tightened with ratchet, it moved about 1/8" before torque wrench clicked.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts