RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the wife is about ready to pull the trigger on a travel trailer. I would prefer to stay around a 25-26ft box, but the ones she's looking at keeps getting bigger. An ultra-light with a 28-30ft box seem like a realistic possibility. So around 5600-6000 dry weight and 7400-8000 gross.

My truck is a limited, 3.55 gears but with the coil suspension. 1234 lbs on the payload sticker. GDE engine and trans tuned.

Now I've towed relatively heavy flat beds and dump trailers before, but never a box trailer or travel trailer. I'm know I will very likely end up a bit over my GVWR, and I am okay with that.

I just got Sumosprings delivered today and am considering the best option for WDH's.

I would love to be able to go with the Andersen, but am concerned about it's (potential lack of) weight transfer. Next up would be the Blue Ox Sway Pro or an Equalizer if anyone really thinks that would make a difference.

I'm honestly okay with breaking down and getting a Pro-Pride if it means I can tow safe and smoothly with my current truck.

Realistically, I'm okay with getting a bigger truck if I can't get it setup right. But unfortunately, there do not appear to be any deals to be found on trucks right now, besides maybe a Nissan Titan XD. But realistically I think the Titan XD would be a good match and I test drove on when they first came out and didn't hate it. (Gas not the Cummins)

So what's everyone's opinion? Will the Andersen do the job? Just jump straight to the Pro-Pride? Send the ED to pasture? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
It would be good if you could provide some indication about how much you intend to tow, where you live and the speeds and terrains you want to tow the new TT. As you well understand a few hundred mile trip or two a year is very different than a live in the trailer 9 mos a year touring the country. Additionally, a comment on your willingness to live with the occasional slow climb in the right lane in hot weather and 55/60 mph instead of a steady 70 when towing. All of these things influence what is practical for a particular situation. WIth any luck she won't turn it into a 40 footer! ;)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wife is targeting one weekend-ish trip a month with of course longer trips during the summer/holidays. We live in Georgia and will probably end up in Florida and the Smokey Mountains a lot. I doubt we'll be doing many cross-country trips but I wouldn't rule it out.

I don't mind slowing down a bit if we're on a grade. I'm mainly concerned about sway/stability.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looks like the wife is about ready to pull the trigger on a travel trailer. I would prefer to stay around a 25-26ft box, but the ones she's looking at keeps getting bigger. An ultra-light with a 28-30ft box seem like a realistic possibility. So around 5600-6000 dry weight and 7400-8000 gross.
have you considered a fifth wheel? Aerodynamics are better and they dont have the stability issues travel trailers do.
My truck is similar to yours.. I'm pulling a 6000lb travel trailer and going up anything above a 8% grade is annoying.

I think you will be able to pull the trailer mostly fine, but you will struggle on the hills for sure. Consider an EGT gauge too, because thats something you will want to keep an eye on when towing. especially since we dont have EGR anymore.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
The anderson is good but can struggle to transfer weight like others. Personally I like the blue ox sway pro better than the equalizer. The pro ride look great but wow thats a lot of money. Maybe find out more about the trailer first and go from there.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
My toy hauler is 6600# dry, about 7500-8k loaded, 30' long. Advertised TW of 1100#. The Andersen works very well for me. Takes me half the time to hitch and unhitch than what I see others messing with load bars lol.

Reactions: gtsav2006

·
Registered
924 Posts
I think you will be fine with the Anderson, but a 5th wheel will feel better, as motorgoat suggests. I have towed trailers as heavy as 10,000 lbs, no problem. rear airbags and the GY SRAs at 44 psi. A better tire would be a good idea, though. I have 3:92's though and keep speed down to 65 or less. My guess , towing with the Titan will suck a lot of fuel , as did my 2005 hemi Ram. My Ecodiesel tows much better than the hemi did. Hemi had lots of power, but 4,000 rpm+ going up hills gets old.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My toy hauler is 6600# dry, about 7500-8k loaded, 30' long. Advertised TW of 1100#. The Andersen works very well for me. Takes me half the time to hitch and unhitch than what I see others messing with load bars lol.
So that sounds pretty close to where I'd be at. Have you ever weighed and checked the weight transfer? (I know Vern has numbers, but he tows so many different trailers.) The odd thing that I've seen about folks complaining about weight transfer with the Andersen is the it seems to consistently level the TV, but the front axle comes up light. Where is the extra weight being distributed? Back to the trailer axles?

I'm primarily leaning towards the Andersen or the Blue Ox.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have EAZ-Lift R3 WDH with 1200 lb bars. Easy to hook up. Just got a Keystone 291RLS but haven't towed it any distance yet. I will be at the ED's capacity I'm sure, but for now it will have to do.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the EAZ-Lift R3 WDH with 1000 lb bars. Our 28' weighs in at about 6200 empty, truck is 4x4 with 3.55 gears and I didn't have any issues with tow. Only time I got a little nervous was when two greyhound buses passed me doing about 80 mph and I felt some pull but hey, it's a giant box. I too had to rope the wifey in a little cause as we shopped, the campers we looked at kept getting bigger and pricier. lol
Good luck to you and we might just bump into you in the Smokies!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Look's like we are about to pull the trigger on an Imagine 2800BH. So length-wise I guess we split in the middle on length, but they are fairly heavy for "ultra-lites". I'm with her on liking the Grand Design trailers though.

Went ahead and ordered the Andersen hitch. But there's also a barely used equalizer nearby for $350 that I'm thinking about grabbing. (Could probably get it for $300.) But it's the 1400/14,000 package. Anyone have some insight if this is too much?

The trailer is 6385lbs UVW with 605 hitch weight. GVW is 7995lbs. So a tongue weight of around a 1000 isn't unrealistic.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's going to be tough for anyone to advise you on a WDH without knowing how much "stuff" you'll be taking with you but if your bars are too stiff, your camper can get bouncy.

·
Super Moderator
3,357 Posts
My son in law has a 30' 8,000 pound TT. That is camp ready full water for boondocking. (Coachman 292 Freedom Express Liberty Edition) He also has tuned ED with brake, TBC, the stronger version of Sumos, and an Anderson WDH. He is pleased with each component and has trailered through the Smokies. The WDH needs to be set up aggressively IE using the power trailer jack to lift the bumper about 2" then applying the weight distribution. I don't recall the number of threads (7 of possible 9?) but fairly tight to where it just starts to plump the poly bushings. Then raise your jack. After which you verify on the CAT scale that it has replaced the unloaded steer weight and has a good tongue weight ie about 960-1,000 pounds 12ish percent of gross trailer weight. If it doesn't you can redistribute whats in the bed and or TT storage to make it come out. Once steer & tongue weight is good she will tow steady & true. I have used this same method with a 9,100 new dry TT IE no other weight to work with for distribution and the Anderson kept 3,300 pounds on my steer axle. Not recommending towing a 9k TT with a 1500 just saying what the hitch can do. 8k is a more practical limit for a 1500.

I have towed his trailer with my truck as well same except I have axle to frame air bags. Mine rides smoother with better suspension control on rough pavement but otherwise is the same. The Sumos still much better than Timbren ie not not harsh or jumpy with the wrong load over wash board, expansion joints, or speed bumps. No sway with either truck. I will say I like the aero nose and wide spread axles of his Coachman. On long steep climbs limit your rpms to 3k. This way you can maintain at least 50 mph and not have any computer derate issues.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My son in law has a 30' 8,000 pound TT. That is camp ready full water for boondocking. (Coachman 292 Freedom Express Liberty Edition) He also has tuned ED with brake, TBC, the stronger version of Sumos, and an Anderson WDH. He is pleased with each component and has trailered through the Smokies. The WDH needs to be set up aggressively IE using the power trailer jack to lift the bumper about 2" then applying the weight distribution. I don't recall the number of threads (7 of possible 9?) but fairly tight to where it just starts to plump the poly bushings. Then raise your jack. After which you verify on the CAT scale that it has replaced the unloaded steer weight and has a good tongue weight ie about 960-1,000 pounds 12ish percent of gross trailer weight. If it doesn't you can redistribute whats in the bed and or TT storage to make it come out. Once steer & tongue weight is good she will tow steady & true. I have used this same method with a 9,100 new dry TT IE no other weight to work with for distribution and the Anderson kept 3,300 pounds on my steer axle. Not recommending towing a 9k TT with a 1500 just saying what the hitch can do. 8k is a more practical limit for a 1500.

I have towed his trailer with my truck as well same except I have axle to frame air bags. Mine rides smoother with better suspension control on rough pavement but otherwise is the same. The Sumos still much better than Timbren ie not not harsh or jumpy with the wrong load over wash board, expansion joints, or speed bumps. No sway with either truck. I will say I like the aero nose and wide spread axles of his Coachman. On long steep climbs limit your rpms to 3k. This way you can maintain at least 50 mph and not have any computer derate issues.
I installed the Sumos last night. Do you know if your son used the spacers or not? Mine's a 2wd limited so I figure one of the lowest ride height 1500's so I did not use the 1 inch spacer. Sounds like most Ram's don't use the spacers, but the instructions doesn't actually say not using the spacer is an option. (Even though they include shorter bolts.) Without the spacer, the Sumo's are about an inch away from touching the axle when the trucks unloaded, which sounds about the same as everyone else on the internet.

I fully plan on trying the Andersen first; I appreciate the setup tips. But a basically brand new equalizer 1400# for $300, sounds like too good to pass up.

·
Super Moderator
3,357 Posts
He tried the spacers first and wasn’t happy. Took it all back apart to get the spacers out.

Either hitch should work fine to replace the steer weight, get to a good tongue weight, and stop sway before it starts. Many like the quiet smooth operation of the Andersen. It’s light easy to use even backs well. The Equalizer is is sometimes chastised for being harsh & noisy but it will absolutely transfer the weight and stop sway. You could try both and keep the one you prefer. Seems you can always get your money back out of that Equalizer price.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I have an Equil-i-zer Hitch and really like it. I agree with Vern, without question the Equil-i-zer does a good job of transferring weight and eliminating sway. My box is 22' long, 8'6" wide, and weighs somewhere between 6,500 - 7,000 lbs loaded. I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My tuned/deleted 2016 pulls my 30ft 6500lb TT with ease. When the winds get 25+mph I do miss the stability of the 3/4 ton truck, but other than that, with the added air lift bags and WDH it pulls just as good or better than the 3/4 ton in moderate wind conditions.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I tow a Cougar 21 RBS - dry weight @ 5200 in Colorado. Mountain trips several times/month all summer. 2017 ED, 3.92 gears, Air ride 1,000 bags and an Equalizer hitch - otherwise stock. Have been on several out-of-state trips (Wyoming, South Dakota, Nebraska) trips. No problems with either sway or wind. Keep your trailer tire speed rating in mind. Speed limits out here are 75 and in some places 80 on the interstate. The tires on my TT are speed-rated at 65mph. IMO, 75 and 80 are asking for trouble when towing. Your fuel economy will suffer greatly at those speeds as well.

Set up your hitch properly, keep your speeds reasonable, and you will be fine with a 6,000 lb dry weight TT.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I tow a Cougar 21 RBS - dry weight @ 5200 in Colorado. Mountain trips several times/month all summer. 2017 ED, 3.92 gears, Air ride 1,000 bags and an Equalizer hitch - otherwise stock. Have been on several out-of-state trips (Wyoming, South Dakota, Nebraska) trips. No problems with either sway or wind. Keep your trailer tire speed rating in mind. Speed limits out here are 75 and in some places 80 on the interstate. The tires on my TT are speed-rated at 65mph. IMO, 75 and 80 are asking for trouble when towing. Your fuel economy will suffer greatly at those speeds as well.

Set up your hitch properly, keep your speeds reasonable, and you will be fine with a 6,000 lb dry weight TT.
How do you like the Air Lift bags? I'm on the fence about these. I really like the Timber Groves but I don't tow very often and it's hard to pass up a <$100 solution.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks like we'll be bringing it home from Valdosta (about a 2hr drive) on Saturday. Andersen won't be delivered yet, so I'll be using the equalizer on the first trip. I'll try to do some comparisons once the Andersen is here. Both look fairly easy to add/replace.

I picked up the Equalizer yesterday afternoon. It has some surface rust, but everything is there.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts