RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wife is targeting one weekend-ish trip a month with of course longer trips during the summer/holidays. We live in Georgia and will probably end up in Florida and the Smokey Mountains a lot. I doubt we'll be doing many cross-country trips but I wouldn't rule it out.

I don't mind slowing down a bit if we're on a grade. I'm mainly concerned about sway/stability.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
I have a 2015 unit with GDE hot engine tune. I've had the EGR cooler replaced. I tow a 30 ft. Rockwood ultralite trailer (tongue included) with empty weight of 6350 lbs., probably 7,000 lbs.+. It tows fine in the flatlands, but has trouble over mountain passes. It's gone into quasi-limp mode going over the divide through the Eisenhauer tunnels several times. I can still make 45 mph, but get the "service electronic throttle" code repeatably, and also "exceeds tow capacity". It would not regen the exhaust filter. I also got a turbo underboost code later.
I had to have the turbo replaced. Upon inspection, It was not siezed, and the rotors looked OK, but the actuator for the adjustable vanes could have been siezed. I had bought the turbo brake option with the GDE tune, and I may have over-stressed the vane actuator on the long descents. All is good now, but i think the trailer is too heavy. When oil temps pushed to over 265, the limp mode kicked in. Waiting an hour or so let things reset, and I could go on, but it would happen again.
I'd buy a smaller trailer, or a bigger truck.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Whelp, we pick up the trailer on Saturday. Made the trip home with the equalizer. Overall, it drove very well, but I went to the scales today and definitely got some work to do dialing in the equalizer if that's what I go with. This is with the camper loaded and camp ready.

No weight distribution:
Steer Axle: 2800lb
Drive Axle: 4240lb
Trailer Axle: 6320lb

With Equalizer Weight Distribution
Steer Axle: 3040lb
Drive Axle: 3880lb
Trailer Axle: 6440lb

I didn't have a chance to get an unloaded weight because my girls were with me and it was getting late. I'm going to setup the Andersen tomorrow or Wednesday since that's what I planned on using and see how it goes. (More weighing) Really surprised by the lack of weight transfer, given how level everything is, but I guess the sumo springs are taking the brunt of the load right now. (Equalizer is setup to the default: 5 washers and L-brackets in center holes.)

Just for additional info, unloaded the wheel well height is 36" front and 38.5 rear. Load with no weight distribution is 36 3/4" front and 36 3/4" rear. With the equalizer loaded front is at 36 1/4" front and 37" in the rear.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts